PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-08-2018, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
I remember that paryicular card album ! Just seeing its cover brings back memories. My grandmother supplied me with the cards in the tea boxes. Probably got me into collecting (hoarding) things.
By the way, loving the Saturn V build - brave.👨*🚀👨*🚀👨*🚀
Hello gotham

Glad it evoked such memories for you. Do you still have them and did you get the full set?

Thanks for the nice comments on the build

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-08-2018, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckychestney View Post
A few of them are gone because of a lack of decent storage options (one big box just isn't a good answer ) but here's a few pics of some of them from years past:

Toy train manufacturers love to put rockets on flatcars. So I demonstrated what a 1:48 scale rocket would look like :

The F-1's work as flatcar payloads though:

My 1:48 first stage was too weak and most of the tank collapsed. But I saved the thrust structure:

Still working on that LEM!

Great collection Becky.

Love the F-1 engine on the flat bed. Were any big bits of the Apollo/Saturn V transported that way?

The movement of the Saturn V is just incredible. I love this photo of a section of it being moved on road (it can be seen at collectspace.com)

And of course by boat (sorry that should be barge, but I have no idea what the difference is between a boat, a barge, and a ship), as this picure from NASA shows

And my personal favourite by CRAWLER!

A great piece of engineering, both still going strong today!

I once saw a picture of the invoice for transporting a Saturn V but can't find it now.

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-08-2018, 12:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Sorry, don't have my tea card albums now - they were just some of various things of mine that did not seem to travel when we had our 1st house move in '77. Mothers love to 'tidy up'.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:35 PM

More on 1/24 thrust structure

Dear all

The next job on the thrust structure was to add the retro rocket motors. These are additions designed by Rocky Barnett (see post number 187 for details of where these are).

There are no instructions, so as before I have detailed what I did. There are 8 such retro rocket motors and each retro rocket motor consists of four parts.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12190.jpg

I have added tabs to the main body (far left part) and also to the brace (far right part).

Roll and glue main body

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12191.jpg

Fold and glue brace into an "open box" shape. One of the short side will be sloping in.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12192.jpg

Next attach the brace to the body of the retro rocket motor at the white square gluing point. Attach with the sloping side and ensure it point the correct way (as shown).

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12193.jpg

Next glue (what will be) the bottom of the retro rocket motor to the body. I used a little weight to press down on the tabs I had added as well as pressing down inside using some dowelling

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12194.jpg

Glue into a cone the fan top of the retro rocket motor, careful to have the printing the correct way.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12195.jpg

Finally edge glue to the top of the retro rocket motor

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12196.jpg

Here are the other retro rocket motors being made and then all 8 of them finished ready to be attached to the thrust structure.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12197.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12198.jpg

I then attached them to the thrust structure. Be careful not to drop one into the fairing of the F-1 engines. It could easily "glue" to something in there. Here is the finished result.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12200.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12201.jpg

Whilst making these they suddenly remaindered me of shotgun cartridges (well only what I have seen on TV who-done-its). Got me thinking as to why were the retro rocket motors painted red? Does anyone know?

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-08-2018, 02:01 PM

Two new helpers for 1/24 structure

Dear all

I have got two new helpers for the 1/24 model. Let me introduce them to you. They are "mechanic John" and "engineer Tim".

Here they are checking out some of the F-1 engines

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12147.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12148.jpg1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12149.jpg

They are 1/24 scale figures and at 3 inches tall it means they are 6 feet tall in their boots. I realised that they can give me a feel of just how big some bits of the real Saturn V were in life. For example here is what it would be like to stand right next to the USA letters of stage 1, or, inside that cavernous ring.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12158.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12160.jpg

I have looked a lot but can't find may photos of the real Saturn V with people next to it in various stages of construction or finished. I am sure they would have taken them though. Does anyone know if such photos exist?

So here is a feel of how big this rocket was

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12176.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12179.jpg

This is just a model. What I find incredible is that there are/were actual people who did just that.

Here are two more of John and Tim looking over the retro rocket motors of stage one and then inspecting after installation.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12199.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12202.jpg

Hope you enjoyed this little excursion

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-08-2018, 02:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
dam that's outstanding so far WELL DONE that man keep up the good work
Old 03-08-2018, 03:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Dear all

I have got two new helpers for the 1/24 model. Let me introduce them to you. They are "mechanic John" and "engineer Tim".

Here they are checking out some of the F-1 engines

Attachment 340454 Attachment 340455Attachment 340456
I've visited the Saturn V on display at Kennedy Space Center several times, but this still gives a whole new perspective on just how BIG it really was!
Old 03-08-2018, 06:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
Sorry, don't have my tea card albums now - they were just some of various things of mine that did not seem to travel when we had our 1st house move in '77. Mothers love to 'tidy up'.
Yeah, I spent a big pile of cash buying back some of the stuff that my mom "cleaned".
Old 03-08-2018, 06:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
"Were any big bits of the Apollo/Saturn V transported that way?"

Not that I know of specifically. But the Saturn V itself as a finished article was!

How? Well, the diesel engines in the crawler transporter were made by ALCO:

The American Locomotive Company of Schenectady New York!

They also built REALLY big locomotives!

But seriously, NASA does have a railroad and SRB segments are transported by rail:

Old 03-08-2018, 09:33 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Fascinating information Becky. Is there no end to your varied tastes and talents?
Google Adsense

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v