PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-04-2018, 12:17 AM

Location: I live in Johanensburg South Africa, the real Gangsters Paradise!
Total Downloaded: 40.11 MB
Yes please can you send me the pdf file to convert into vector and add to the master design?

Thanks
Old 06-06-2018, 03:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Thanks for that David. Will try Rick. Also I wonder if lukestrawalker might know

Regards

Kevin
I'm not sure but it would be interesting to find out...

Another good guy to ask would be John Pursley... He's such an expert on the history of the Saturn V's that they hired him to consult on the restorations of the Saturn V's at both Houston and Huntsville AL (or was it Kennedy Space Center, can't recall ATM)... Either way if anybody know he would... He got a website at Accur-8 dot com IIRC...

I'd check or do more research myself but I'm at the hospital where my mom's recuperating ATM and limited to my phone...

Later! OL J R
Old 06-06-2018, 04:05 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Hope it's nothing too serious and that she recovers quickly.
Old 06-09-2018, 11:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Hope it's nothing too serious and that she recovers quickly.
Thanks...

She got sick Sunday evening... my sister and BIL drove the 100 miles to Shiner and took her to church Sunday morning, went to eat out at her favorite Mexican restaurant (which I hate eating at because everything is just SOAKED in grease!, but she loves it for SOME reason) and then they got her groceries for the week at Wally World... they took her home and left and she was fine.

Talked to her on the phone a bit later, and she was complaining of severe stomach pains. After some back-n-forth she agreed they should come back and take her to the ER (about the time they got home). Found out she had a blocked intestine due to a hernia she's had for 25 years and never got fixed. Transferred her to Victoria hospital and did hernia surgery Monday morning first thing. My brother and I and our wives (and Keira my daughter) were all in Fort Worth for the weekend for my nephew's wedding, and then my brother stuck around Dallas all day doing "car stuff" (he's a classic car buff) while we had driven on to Okie City to take Keira to see one of the women's softball college world series games (next to the last one as it was). We were nearly in Oklahoma City when my sister called to inform us of it all... We saw the game Monday night drove back Tuesday got to Victoria about 4pm Tuesday; Julie and Tommy and Jay and Leslie (sis and BIL, bro and SIL) had to go back to work, and Betty and Keira (wife and daughter) had school stuff to do, so they all went home and I stayed at the hospital the rest of the week... drove an hour back to Shiner to the farm at night and at the hospital all day. Jay and Julie are at the hospital this weekend while I came home just to "get outta Dodge" for awhile-- I'll be back up there Monday, probably for the week...

She came through the surgery well and is recovering... takes a while when you're 72... but my Grandmother had a similar surgery when she was about 80 or so and she recovered very well, so much so she was doing better afterwards than she had in YEARS...

Anyway, thanks for the kind thoughts. I appreciate it! OL J R
Old 06-11-2018, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by legal01 View Post
Yes please can you send me the pdf file to convert into vector and add to the master design?

Thanks
Will do (as soon as I finish rocket).

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-11-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker View Post
I'm not sure but it would be interesting to find out...

Another good guy to ask would be John Pursley... He's such an expert on the history of the Saturn V's that they hired him to consult on the restorations of the Saturn V's at both Houston and Huntsville AL (or was it Kennedy Space Center, can't recall ATM)... Either way if anybody know he would... He got a website at Accur-8 dot com IIRC...

I'd check or do more research myself but I'm at the hospital where my mom's recuperating ATM and limited to my phone...

Later! OL J R
Sorry to hear about your Mom. Hope she is well on the road to recovery.

Regards

Kevin

Last edited by Algebraist; 06-11-2018 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 06-11-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
if its part of the make up of the Saturn v then go for it still an out standing build
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
The IU looks good. Keep it....
Thanks for your views. By 100% the IU is going into the 1/24 model.

Reagrds

Kevin
Old 06-11-2018, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
Looking forward to the photo's Kev. If you upload VT's to YouTube, you can use the option to link them in your post's. This will allow the video to show in your post{s} without exiting to YouTube.
Thanks for that Peter. Will try (but don't hold your breath, remember "pencil..tech..").

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-11-2018, 03:39 PM

1/24 stage two continued

Dear all

I have been working on the 1/24 model.

So last time finished off with the "States" ring being attached. So now it was "lumber yard" time again.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12575.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12576.jpg

Then it was time to make the last "big" ring, the "United" ring.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12587.jpg

So here is the start if the struts being inserted

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12590.jpg

With Gunter and Wernher taking a look

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12591.jpg

Now

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-hitchhikers-guide-galaxy-don-t-panic.jpg

I am not going to show the construction of all the internal structure of stage two. Enough to say it follows along exactly like stage one (only slightly less layers). So eventually (hence no posts for a while) I get close to the forward skirt. Now because I have decided to make the stage two-stage three interstage removable, this means the very top of stage two and the very bottom of the interstage have to be perfect circles of the same size.

So Here is the forward skirt with tabs added so as to take a "joining ring"

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12604.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12606.jpg

The "joining" ring was made from two corrugated rings, only 22mm wide with an outer radius of 215.5 mm. These were tricky to cut and it was really pushing the limit of the strength of the cardboard.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12605.jpg

Here it is sitting (not glued) in the forward skirt and with G and W for scale.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12607.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12608.jpg

So with this ring sitting in place the skirt was attached to the rocket and the formers and struts added. The last former was pushed up against tabs attached to the inner face of the skirt and then the final struts placed inbetween the last two formers (to give a good fit and have the "disc" ready for the LH2/LOX fuel tank dome in the correct place. Hers are some photos

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12609.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12610.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12611.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12612.jpg

Continued in the next post from me

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-11-2018, 04:08 PM

1/24 stage two carrying on

Dear all

So picking up from the last post. The next thing to make was the dome on the fuel tank. Here it is being made

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12613.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12614.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12615.jpg

And then in place (after the "floor" it sits on has also been glued into place) and the "joining" ring is still just resting in place so was just lifted out and then replace when the fuel tank dome was glued into place

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12616.jpg

Now it is time to finish off the joining ring and also to add the "lip" that "holds" stage two to the conical interstage.

This stage has nor been easy since at some point low down it went out of circular shape. (I still am not sure why). By the time I get to the very top it is 2 mm out of circular. ( A bit disappointed and hope the interstage will look ok when I come to do it). Another thing is I still hope to stack the rocket one day, so have "Health and Safety" compliance in mind. So I decide to make the "lip" stisfy "H and S" for the future. The instructions are "limited" so here is what I did

Here are the parts I cut

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12617.jpg

I took the ring and added an inner lip glued to the ring via tabs on the underside

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12618.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12619.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12620.jpg

Next I added the "face" of the joining ring and glued the tabs to the inner lip face.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12621.jpg

Then I added an outer face to the lip and finally an inner face to the lip (making 4 layers in total, so very stable)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12622.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12623.jpg

The last step is to glue the ring in place

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12624.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc12625.jpg

Finally I put the "plates" on the outside of stage two (on which the ullage rockets will be mounted)

Apart from the "outer bits" that is stage two finished. What about the J-2 engines (I hear you say)? I am saving them for later, but have decided to attach them to the rocket by magnetic paper

Current model height 2.85 m ( 9 ft 4 in)

Regards

Kevin

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v