PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-02-2018, 05:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 823.37 MB
For punching holes and making circles of different diameters from 0.1 to 10 ... 15 mm, you can use puncher for the skin (you need a fine-tuning). Or self-made from telescopic antennas, tubes, medical needles.

Or here in such a way Jim`s Homeplace | Т-24 (мастер-класс) – 08. Шасси.
Attached Thumbnails
1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-20180103_015407.jpg  

Last edited by SLONE; 01-02-2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:15 PM

Total Downloaded: 298.63 MB
I am doing the opposite of what you are doing. I'm taking the 1/48 designs from Greelt and adding them to the design of Ton Noteboom and I think one other designer and shrinking it all to a 1/96 size. Believe me it's quite a challenge. The second stage thrust section fits inside of the second stage body. In one of the designs I have there was a colored spacer to show how far to mount the thrust stand inside. By the way perhaps these websites can help with detailing.
APOLLO MANIACS : Apollo spacecraft and Saturn Rocket / Apollo project
[Ingen titel]

Whenever I finish I will hopefully have completed the 1/96 rocket with details from the 1/24 designs as well as a scale LUT and a scale crawler. I too am following your thread to see if I might have missed something with my project. Good luck.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 298.63 MB
Sorry, that second website was

[Ingen titel]
Old 01-05-2018, 03:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLONE View Post
For punching holes and making circles of different diameters from 0.1 to 10 ... 15 mm, you can use puncher for the skin (you need a fine-tuning). Or self-made from telescopic antennas, tubes, medical needles.

Or here in such a way Jim`s Homeplace | Т-24 (мастер-класс) – 08. Шасси.
Thanks for the tips and ideas. Very useful

Kevin
Old 01-05-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
That is where I have been keeping my 1/32 scale model at, in the garage.
Mike, just been looking at your photos of your 1/32 Saturn V. Really nice and is an actual rocket!

Kevin
Google Adsense
Old 01-05-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth-tech View Post
I am doing the opposite of what you are doing. I'm taking the 1/48 designs from Greelt and adding them to the design of Ton Noteboom and I think one other designer and shrinking it all to a 1/96 size. Believe me it's quite a challenge. The second stage thrust section fits inside of the second stage body. In one of the designs I have there was a colored spacer to show how far to mount the thrust stand inside. By the way perhaps these websites can help with detailing.
APOLLO MANIACS : Apollo spacecraft and Saturn Rocket / Apollo project
[Ingen titel]

Whenever I finish I will hopefully have completed the 1/96 rocket with details from the 1/24 designs as well as a scale LUT and a scale crawler. I too am following your thread to see if I might have missed something with my project. Good luck.
Thanks for the support.

Wow that does sound really challenging. It sounds a lot of work but to have the "full set" of Saturn V, LUT and crawler will be amazing. Look forward to seeing it.

Thanks for the web site links. Been really useful helping me sort things out

Kevin
Old 01-05-2018, 04:36 PM

Important step forward on 1/24 model

Dear all

The few days I have been working on the 1/48 model. However also during that time I have been trying to solve the problem of how to cut very large circular formers accurately. I had not found anything that could do the job and free hand was no good whatsoever. I explained my problem to my friend who made me the "rolling tool" and he gone and made me a giant circle cutter (photo below)

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc11970.jpg

It can cut circles up to 40cm in radius (I need at most 25cm radius) and can take almost any blade including Stanley Knife 192 heavy duty blades. The bar is solid steel (my friend works on mending real steam trains so everything is "substantial") so is really accurate.

Here is the moment of truth, the first test circle

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc11969.jpg

As you can see it works great (that's a 216mm radius circle). So can now advance the 1/24 model!

Last edited by Algebraist; 01-05-2018 at 04:41 PM. Reason: pressed post, rather than preview, before finishing
Old 01-05-2018, 05:15 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Wowsers! I'd like a friend like that myself.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:32 PM

1/24 thrust structure

Dear all

Now I have a big circle cutting tool I paused working on the 1/48 model (will update progress on that in a later post) and started working on the 1/24 model straight away. I started on the 1/24 thrust structure. Here are the first two panels joined

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc11986.jpg

Because of the large 1/24 scale, the paper is only having to curve gradually and it can do it quite easily without prerolling. (I am using 250 gsm for main body parts, even tough 220-240 gsm is specified---250 gsm in A3 is readily available). You might think there is no need therefore to roll the parts into the correct curves before gluing (well I did at least). However I still DO roll the parts so they take the curve I want. I have found this makes a real difference after gluing even at this scale. I can accurately check the curve now, thanks to the big circle cutter tool

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc11987.jpg

I have found, for me at least, that for my best results of gluing, after applying the glue and then pressing with as much pressure as I can for a very short time, I then re-roll the glued pieces whilst the glue is still "wet" (so to speak). This gives a good curve and does not stretch the printing.

Here is a photo of the first "ring" of the thrust structure before the last joint is glued

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc11992.jpg

Everything is becoming super-sized about this project. That steel rule is 1 metre (40 inches long). The cutting mat is A1 size. Needed this big to cut the circles out on. To get the picture all in shot I had to hold the camera at arms length above my head.

I am so enjoying the big scale of everything. It must have been incredible to work on and be around the real Saturn V, everything just off the chart!

Here is the ring main walls finished (with Mr Bump for scale). I rested a former in the ring to see what the fit was like and it was nice and snug.

1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc11993.jpg 1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-sdc11994.jpg

I am very pleased to be getting going on the main body of 1/24 model.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliott View Post
Wowsers! I'd like a friend like that myself.
Yes I am lucky to know him. I am not really sure what I would have done if he had not made the big circle cutter for me.
Google Adsense

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v