PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-15-2019, 07:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Hello Michael

Thanks for the suggestion on how to improve models. To reassure you, I am always grateful for tips and advice from other members, particularly from such skilled modellers such as yourself.

Regards

Kevin
Hello my friends.
Can you please let me know the suggestions to improve the Saturn V? I am presently building it and although just started and only about 7 sections are ready, it there is room for improvement, I would like to know.
Thanks
Old 03-15-2019, 07:21 PM

For those of you who are building the Saturn V in 1/48 scale to remember this year's 50th. anniversary of humankind's greatest achievement, I have a beautiful highly detailed model of the LEM that I downloaded (legally, as far as I know read the enclosed sheet) several years ago and I think it is a much better model for such a big and beautiful rocket. Even more if David's LUT is used. PM me and I'll send it.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-lm_i2.jpg   1/24 Apollo/Saturn V (enlarged 1/48 Greelt et al version)-lm_inst14.jpg  
Old 03-15-2019, 07:27 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petestein View Post
For those of you who are building the Saturn V in 1/48 scale to remember this year's 50th. anniversary of humankind's greatest achievement, I have a beautiful highly detailed model of the LEM that I downloaded (legally, as far as I know read the enclosed sheet) several years ago and I think it is a much better model for such a big and beautiful rocket. Even more if David's LUT is used. PM me and I'll send it.

Pete
I hope you have gotten permission from the designer/publisher allowing you to distribute this model.

If you cannot provide said permission, then you cannot share the model, and you will be branded a pirate and banned from the forum

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 03-15-2019, 08:10 PM

I downloaded this model not from any pirate page and about 12 years ago. So I cannot provide any permissions because I don't know who published the model. If I have to follow rules and be banned from the forum, I'll accept it, no problem. Thanks for your help on this matter, but rules are rules and they have to be followed. I just wanted to help.

Pete
Old 03-16-2019, 03:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Hello my friends.
Can you please let me know the suggestions to improve the Saturn V? I am presently building it and although just started and only about 7 sections are ready, it there is room for improvement, I would like to know.
Thanks
Dear Petestein

Assuming it is the Greelt model you are building (which is what my model is based on) here is what I have found.

First the updates in the download section of this model are important. Once you have them then:-

F-1 engines are perfect
Stage one is perfect.
Interstage 1 to 2 is perfect
J-2 engines are perfect

Stage 2:

There is a thrust structure issue with this being too big (in terms of depth) to fit into the interstage with the stage 2 engines attached. There is a work around by modifying the parts given in this thread. However an improvement would be parts that work without modification.

A second point is there is no designed "join" for the J-2 engines to the "cross beam" of the thrust structure of stage 2. I think (and it is just my opinion) that this cross beam area would greatly benefit from a complete design "improvement" that full incorporates the J-2 engines, the cross beam and the LH2/LOX pipework. that would make it as "polished" as the stage one engine area. I realize this is really easy to say but a lot of work for a designer (which I am not).

Personally I also found it better to do the umbilical tunnel and pipe fairings etc on the outside of stage two in the same method as the umbilical tunnel on stage one.

Interstage 2-3.

This would really improve if the "inside" of it had a design in the style of interstage 1-2 (which is pretty incredible I think). This would be an intricate number of struts and curves but one advantage is that (I think) they would all be just white card. But it still a huge amount of work to work all this out.

Stage 3.

A small point is there is no "designed" way of joining the J-2 engine to the thrust structure but that certainly has a strightforward work around.

On a personal note I preferred to make a more "box shaped" umbilical tunnel than the one that came with the model (details in this thread).

Also the silver fairing for the aux propulsion systems could be made more "curvy"

Finally if you are going to add the Instrument Unit you need to decide if it is going to be "fixed" to stage 3 or a separate detachable piece. If the latter then you need to some way to connect the top of stage 3 to the IU to the SLA. A simple (but bit ugly) method is given in this thread.

IU:

This part would be greatly improved if the inside, instead of being a printed graphic, was instead a 3d model. It would be very intricate.

SLA

An improvement would be to have the "craddle" (at the bottom) that supported the LM

LM is perfect

SM

I found a bit of "on your own" on how the main engine joins the main body.

I guess some people would say an improvement would be having an openable 3d SIM bay

CM

The docking mechanism is a bit "on your own" and I think could be improved design-wise.

BPC

I found it needs to be slightly enlarged to fit properly over the CM. However that may well be due to not making the CM and/or BCP well enough

LES is perfect

Finally just to say that when I say "improvements" it is not meant as a criticism of the current designers. The current model is wonderful, these are just ways it could be tweaked to be even better.

Hope this helps

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-16-2019, 07:13 AM

Thank you so much. Yes, indeed the Greelt model (ehich is the one I am making, sorry I didn't mention it) is almost perfect but these improvements are a great help to make a good model, even better
Old 03-16-2019, 12:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 898.56 MB
@ Petestein

That looks like the LEM from U-Don. I'm working on it myself, hence the familiarity with the model. It's legit and is available here U-DON'S FACTORY
If you search the forums here you'll also find some build logs of the same.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
U-Don's LEM is a fantastic kit! It turns out beautiful. But if I ever do it again, I will print the windows on vellum.

My aborted 1:48 Saturn V first stage is along side. I couldn't prevent warping of the side walls of the stage so I trashed everything except the thrust structure:

And the odd F-1

Old 03-17-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomCruiser View Post
@ Petestein

That looks like the LEM from U-Don. I'm working on it myself, hence the familiarity with the model. It's legit and is available here U-DON'S FACTORY
If you search the forums here you'll also find some build logs of the same.
You can rest now Mr. Rickstef, as stated before the LEM I posted IS legal.
Old 03-17-2019, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
You can rest now Mr. Rickstef, as stated before the LEM I posted IS legal.
Read carefully, and read again: Nobody said it was illegal; nobody said the kit was not legal.
What goes against the forum practices is to offer to re-distribute a kit by any means (publicly or privately) without the designer's explicit permission.

Tags
apollo, moon, rocket, saturn v