PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 04-05-2020, 09:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
And glad (as always) to hear from you rifleman. Thanks for the support.

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 04-05-2020, 11:45 AM

Start of life-size torso

Dear all

So I now needed to make a start on the life size torso's of Buzz and Neil. I have decided to make them both at the same time. Also, after much consideration (and dithering) I think I will male each torso as two parts (so a lower half and an upper half). Ideally I would like to make them as a single part (like in the 1/4 model) but I think they will be too big to "reach into" to glue the various parts together. The bad think about this idea is there is no easy "plane" cut of the torso so the natural thing to do is follow one of the "natural" seams. However this will require me creating a former that twists and turns in three dimensions and I am not really sure how to do this. Anyway that is for the future and before then I need to make the lower and upper torso's.

So the torso is made of (essentially ) a number of "rings". Starting from the bottom I decided to make the lower torso from the first 3 rings (when viewed from the front). So looking at the front of the 1/4 model the red arrow indicates where the division will be

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-torso-front.jpg

Now although the bottom ring goes all the way round the torso, rings 2 and 3 only go half way round (as shown in this side view of the torso)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-torso-side.jpg

Now the back of the torso is essentially one single part. So it is going to have to be divided in to lots of different parts. I have learnt from previous big models that this needs to be done really accurately so I need to identify good reference points. Fortunately on the back there are two such points (highlighted by the red circles

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-torso-back.jpg

So onto the making of the lower ring. Here are the bits being cut out and then glued together

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13805.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13806.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13807.jpg

As you can see the final part is big (for scale that is a 30 cm (12 inch) steel rule in the picture for scale). Here it is glued into a ring (and one with Gene for scale)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13808.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13809.jpg

The second ring overlaps 2 (of the 6) umbilical connectors on the suit. I am still mulling over how to do these but for now I decide to just have "radial tabs" from the circumference to the centre. Since there are quite a number of these I thought it quickest to make a "template" in order to locate the centre point (as shown below)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13823.jpg

I could then cut out the parts for the second ring and then join them together

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13824.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13825.jpg

Finally this was then added onto the first ring, shown here from behind

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13831.jpg

and then from the front

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13832.jpg

It feels good to be starting the torso's and moving on from reinforcing (at least for the time being!)

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 04-11-2020, 04:22 AM

Life-Size lower torso of Buzz continued

Dear all

I now moved onto the next (3rd) ring on Buzz's lower torso, which is half a ring really. Here are the parts being cut out and then glued together

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13826.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13827.jpg

Because the torso is an undulating surface in 3D, the joining seams are also "twisting" curves in 3D which makes them (at least for me) not so straightforward gluing together. The best way I found was taking my time, doing one tab at a time and keeping an eye on certain known "reference points". So here is the ring joined onto the torso.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13833.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13834.jpg

So next comes the "back panel" which is a subsection of the actual very large single back part of the model (see previous post by me). Here are the three parts that go together to make it, being cut out

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13828.jpg

and then glued together

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13829.jpg

I then hit a problem in that it did not seem to fit to the lower torso. It was too long. However after re-measuring several times I could find no error. So as the whole part and the lower torso were quite "wobbly" I decided to assemble the former for the bottom of the torso to see if it would add stability.

The main part of the former for Buzz's lower torso (as well as for Neil's) had already been cut out when making the formers for the thighs of Buzz (see post 91 for details). Here is a quick montage (learned what this means the other day!) of the lower torso formers being made.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13816.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13810.jpg
Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13811.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13815.jpg
Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13817.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13820.jpg

Resting the former inside the torso and using "pegs" to help anchor the back ring to the lower torso, I glued them together (as shown below)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13835.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13836.jpg

Unfortunately I could not get the parts to fit together well round at the very back (as shown here)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13837.jpg

I am not really sure why this has not worked properly. This is what the front of Buzz's lower torso now looks like looks like

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13838.jpg

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 04-13-2020, 02:27 AM

Bit more on life-size lower torso of Buzz

Dear all

The next thing I decided to do was add the former to the lower torso of Buzz. I hoped this would "improve" the lower back fitting on the model. It turned out that trying to glue this was a bit tricky in lining up where it went and then trying to keep it fixed to glue the tabs. In the end I had to use large bull dog clips to hold everything in place and then do a tab at a time.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13839.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13840.jpg

So in the end the lower back looks like this.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13841.jpg

It is not great but not a total disaster. Overall this is what the lower torso of Buzz now looks like

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13842.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13843.jpg

Before starting Neil's lower torso I am thinking about the lower back situation.

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 04-15-2020, 02:57 PM

Ken West's 1/4 Apollo astronauts on the moon available again

Dear all

I have just noticed that, Ken West's 1/4 Apollo astronauts on the moon, is available again at Ecardmodels. Here is a link to the model

https://ecardmodels.com/product/1-4-...es-paper-model

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 04-15-2020, 03:16 PM

Life-Size Neil lower torso

Dear all

So in thinking about the lower torso for Neil, I wondered it the problem with the lower back was due to there was too much movement or the first "ring" part of the lower torso. So for Neil I decided to glue the lower torso former in place as soon as I had the first ring.

So here are all the parts of the lower torso cut out

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13830.jpg

I then made the first ring

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13844.jpg

Then glued the former in place and attached the second ring.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13850.jpg

At this point I decided to attach the lower back (thinking at this point I would have maximum "flexibility" to make any adjustments if necessary

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13851.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13852.jpg

As you can see the part did not fit quite right (basically no difference to when I did Buzz). Anyway I then attached the final part of the lower torso and here is the finish lower torso

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13857.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13858.jpg

I now think the problem arises because of scaling everything up 4 fold. Basically what can be "absorbed" by slight flexing of the paper gets magnified, however the paper is not more flexible/deformable and so the paper just has to buckle in the scaled up version. Also in the 1/4 version the parts are pre-wrinkled which has the effect of making the parts more deformable.

Fortunately since the model is of a pressurised space suit, I think the model will still look okay with these curves that have formed.

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 04-15-2020, 03:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
Incredible!
Old 04-16-2020, 09:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
this is ...................... some great work sir
Old 04-19-2020, 08:01 AM

Thanks ShadowCory and rifelman for your complements and encouragement. Much appreciated and glad you are enjoying the build.

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 04-19-2020, 08:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 9.52 MB
Like most of the others, I am in awe of the nearly-insane ambition of this project. You are truly an inspiration to us all.
Keep up the brilliant work!

Greg
Google Adsense

Tags
apollo, astronaut, buzz aldrin, moon, neil armstrong