PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-01-2020, 10:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Have you considered a patch? Now that you are getting shims in place, could you cut a piece of cardstock to cover them? Structurally, the shims should have things stable, so a 'band-aid' would cover the part that is visually unappealing
Old 06-02-2020, 03:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
That's a lot of work gap filling work 🙀. You mentioned in your posted reply to my comment that you use glue 'wet' paper to gglue parts together, as you say like paper mache. Could you do something like that to fill in the gaps ? It would be a bit like using filler on a p-stic kit. Once dry, you would sand it flat, gap filled and lines smoothed out.
Just spitballin' an idea to help.😸
Old 06-02-2020, 07:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Obviously you are trying to keep the model in sections...so you can dismantle it and reassemble it.

Trying to fill those gaps at this point is going to be difficult, and I don't think the gaps are going to properly disappear without completely filling the joints.

Why not just add another strip of card to the outside "skin" over each joint?
Wide or thin, or just enough to cover the gap.
The strip should overlap both joining parts
...but glue the strip to only one part, so that it will slip on and off the other part.

Together, it will look like just another overlapping surface part.
With one section sliding inside the other section.
Attached Thumbnails
Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-leg-joints.jpg  
Old 06-06-2020, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Have you considered a patch? Now that you are getting shims in place, could you cut a piece of cardstock to cover them? Structurally, the shims should have things stable, so a 'band-aid' would cover the part that is visually unappealing
That is sort of what I am hoping will be possible. Your comments make me think it is a sensible approach. Thanks Vermin_King for suggesting.

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 06-06-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
That's a lot of work gap filling work 🙀. You mentioned in your posted reply to my comment that you use glue 'wet' paper to gglue parts together, as you say like paper mache. Could you do something like that to fill in the gaps ? It would be a bit like using filler on a p-stic kit. Once dry, you would sand it flat, gap filled and lines smoothed out.
Just spitballin' an idea to help.😸
Hi gotham. Yes it is a big job (as I am discovering). I had never thought about filling using a "mache" type mixture. Is it possible to sand such a mixture to size? I know absolutely nothing about this subject so any thoughts most welcome.

Regards and thanks

Kevin
Old 06-06-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Obviously you are trying to keep the model in sections...so you can dismantle it and reassemble it.

Trying to fill those gaps at this point is going to be difficult, and I don't think the gaps are going to properly disappear without completely filling the joints.

Why not just add another strip of card to the outside "skin" over each joint?
Wide or thin, or just enough to cover the gap.
The strip should overlap both joining parts
...but glue the strip to only one part, so that it will slip on and off the other part.

Together, it will look like just another overlapping surface part.
With one section sliding inside the other section.
You are spot on airdave about wanting to be able to assemble and disassemble the model. I think you are right that the "joins" are going to be visible. However, after thinking about your suggestion, I am thinking it might be possible to incorporate your idea for all the joints as part of the final layer of the model that gives the cloth effect. Hopefully it would look "natural" and like this

Thanks for sharing your idea

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 06-06-2020, 02:29 PM

Shims update

Dear all

So I have been filling the waist/thigh gap of Buzz. It is time consuming work. Essentially I have got the front, side and back of each hip to fill (for Buzz and Neil).

So I have managed to do the back of one hip so far. The use of 0.5 mm thick shims does mean that you can get a good fit however.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13995.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13996.jpg

I am pleased with the result in that there is contact virtually all along the shims with the torso. Better than I hoped to be honest. I have sort hit on a sort of method now how to proceed so hopefully I can get a bit quicker with this.

Regards and take care

Kevin
Old 06-14-2020, 01:58 AM

Life-Size Buzz waist line

Dear all

I have been doing all the shims for the waist line for Buzz. It has been slow work. Eventually I completed all the "filling"

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13997.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13998.jpg

I am really surprised just how "smooth" the layer of shims is. It has really paid off going down to 0.5 mm thick shims. Following the suggestions people have given in previous posts (many thanks), I decided to cover the shims with paper of the same type as the main model parts are cut from (shown below)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13999.jpg

So this is a close up of the finished result with the thighs and torso joined together

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14002.jpg

And finally a front and back shot of the thighs and torso

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14000.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14001.jpg

So now to do the same for Neil

Regards and take care

Kevin

Last edited by Algebraist; 06-14-2020 at 02:01 AM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 06-14-2020, 04:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Great work, well worth the (your) effort.👏👏👏👏
Old 06-28-2020, 01:01 PM

Thanks gotham, much appreciated.

Regards and take care

Kevin