PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-17-2021, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
told you we had faith in you so bloody well done you keep it coming all the best
Old 02-18-2021, 04:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
What he (Rifleman) said.👍👍👍
Old 02-18-2021, 07:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Ditto!
Old 02-22-2021, 01:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Thank you for your encouragement Vermin_King, rifleman, Gotham and Becky. Your comments were a real "boost".

Regards

Kevin
Old 02-22-2021, 02:05 AM

1/4 right arm of Buzz

Dear all

So I have decided to move on from the torso's of the life size model, thinking that the triple layering by itself will be strong enough.

So the next stage is the arms so as usual it is the 1/4 model that is made first. In what seems a decade ago I had already made the arms for 1/4 Neil and so now proceeded to make the arms for 1/4 Buzz.

Left arm almost identical to Neil's left arm so straightforward. Buzz's right arm however was completely different (it is in the position of "saluting").

I just could not get my head round how it went together. So I had a very rough version using standard paper.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13442.jpg

Well suddenly the penny dropped. It is "obvious" really! So knowing what I was now doing it was onto the proper version of the arm.

Here are some stages of the arm being put together

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13443.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13445.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13447.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13448.jpg

It is one of those sections of a model that has several parts that have to meet exactly at a point. You cant afford to have even one of them out by a bit. I don't know about you, but when I have a section like this, I find it very pleasing when everything joins up just right and the whole section slots together like a dream. Very satisfying.

Of course this is all down to the great design of the model.

It has (I think) some lovely touches of the partially hidden pocket (with part open flap) and oxygen tank wrist gauge partially under the upper arm.

So now onto the life size versions of the arms.

Regards

Kevin
Old 02-22-2021, 09:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Isn't it a great feeling when you get that "lightbulb" moment when figuring out a problem!!
Old 02-22-2021, 11:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
well done that man carry on
Old 02-27-2021, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
Isn't it a great feeling when you get that "lightbulb" moment when figuring out a problem!!
Absolutely!

Regards

Kevin
Old 02-27-2021, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
well done that man carry on
Cheers rifleman. Glad you are still enjoying the build

Regards

Kevin
Old 02-27-2021, 03:14 AM

Life size left arm of Neil started

Dear all

So I have made a start on the arms of the life size model. I an beginning with Neil's left arm. It seems such a long time ago since I last actually made a part of the actual model. It is very satisfying to be making actual parts of the model again

So the arm is basically a series of cones. The parts are still huge and split over two pages of A3

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14056.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14057.jpg

And join together to form a big part

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14058.jpg

I decide to make all the parts for the arm into their "cone" shape first and then to assemble them. So here are the next three cones

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14059.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14060.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14061.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14062.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14063.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14064.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14065.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14067.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14068.jpg

The last cone is a very thin part which forms the end of the sleeve of the suit as it narrows to the wrist. Since I am using tabs, I have to cut the tabs in staggered fashion to avoid the part simply ripping

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14069.jpg

And here is the part joined up into a cone

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14070.jpg

So I have now made all the cone parts of the arm

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14071.jpg

So next is onto their assemble

Regards

Kevin

Tags
apollo, astronaut, buzz aldrin, moon, neil armstrong