PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-12-2021, 12:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Thanks for the comments gotham. Nice to know people are enjoying the build progress.

Regards

Kevin
Old 05-12-2021, 01:11 AM

Life size Buzz's right arm started

Dear all

So I have made aa start on the final arm which is Buzz's right arm (the saluting arm). It is completely different from the other arms. Its method of construction kept nagging me that I knew this from somewhere else. Then eventually it hit me, large pipe bends like in the photo below

So as usual, starting at the narrower "hand" end there was the former and first couple of sections

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14248.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14249.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14250.jpg

Once joined I decided to reinforce the former join on the inside (see below)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14251.jpg

Then I started adding the next part of the arm which is not a full ring

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14252.jpg

After this part the next few sections are all "segments" which meet at a single point (which is the inside of the elbow)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14253.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14254.jpg

I knew from my work on the 1/4 scale model, for the arm to work this "meeting point" had to be spot on. So I was very careful at this stage and tried to be as close to perfect as I could. I found getting all the curvature just right quite tricky

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14255.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14256.jpg

Although slow progress it is fitting together really nice, so is paying off.

Currently it reminds me of those air vents you see on the decks of steam ships in old films (picture below of what I mean)

I am sure they have a special name but no idea what it is.

Regards

Kevin
Old 05-12-2021, 06:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I don't know either.

I am a little surprised that six hours after you have posted, no one has jumped in with the answer
Old 05-12-2021, 12:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Dorade Box - do I win anything ?
Attached Thumbnails
Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-20210512_190049.jpg  
Old 05-21-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
Dorade Box - do I win anything ?
Excellent post, thank you gotham.
Sadly no prize (not even a witty reply)!

Regards

Kevin
Old 05-21-2021, 03:26 PM

more on life-size Buzz's right arm

Dear all

So time has been in short supply for a while so progress is slow but at least still happening.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14257.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14258.jpg

So the parts are getting interesting and also more complicated to hold to get the gluing done since I have to get the glue tube inside the arm and "around the bend" to get the nozzle on the tabs.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14259.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14260.jpg

And then the final ring of the top of the arm is reached

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14261.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14262.jpg

And attached

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14263.jpg

Next up is the former and then.....more strengthening

Regards

Kevin

Last edited by Algebraist; 05-21-2021 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Old 05-24-2021, 05:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Dear all

So I have made aa start on the final arm which is Buzz's right arm (the saluting arm). It is completely different from the other arms. Its method of construction kept nagging me that I knew this from somewhere else. Then eventually it hit me, large pipe bends like in the photo below

So as usual, starting at the narrower "hand" end there was the former and first couple of sections

Attachment 446288 Attachment 446289 Attachment 446290

Once joined I decided to reinforce the former join on the inside (see below)

Attachment 446291

Then I started adding the next part of the arm which is not a full ring

Attachment 446292

After this part the next few sections are all "segments" which meet at a single point (which is the inside of the elbow)

Attachment 446293 Attachment 446294

I knew from my work on the 1/4 scale model, for the arm to work this "meeting point" had to be spot on. So I was very careful at this stage and tried to be as close to perfect as I could. I found getting all the curvature just right quite tricky

Attachment 446295 Attachment 446296

Although slow progress it is fitting together really nice, so is paying off.

Currently it reminds me of those air vents you see on the decks of steam ships in old films (picture below of what I mean)

I am sure they have a special name but no idea what it is.

Regards

Kevin

Believe it or not....they're just called "ventilators".
Old 06-05-2021, 12:47 AM

Well who would of thought that...clearly not me!
Thanks Becky

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-05-2021, 01:20 AM

Dear all

So I now needed to fit the former to the top of Buzz's arm.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14263.jpg

As you can see the shape of the top of the arm it is not a "natural" curve and does not close up naturally. Also it has an important "sharp corner" so I had to clamp the former in place first before carefully gluing the former in place

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14265.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14267.jpg

Next was to start strengthening. First up was to add an extra layer on the outside of the ends of the arm (below is a picture of the wrist end added)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14266.jpg

The it was time to add the first strengthening layer on the inside. That took a lot longer than expected. This arm is "very curved in all directions" (if you get what I mean) so this meant the strengthening parts could not be very big at all. Too big and they could not be deformed enough to be completely in contact with the arm which meant that essentially lots of air pockets were being made with no strengthening achieved. It was also a bit of a contortionist job getting to all the different parts of the arm and being able to press down firmly on all the bits of paper. I was quite nervous that I might puncture the arm. Eventually I managed it

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14276.jpg

Now I just need to do it all again. Thankfully the the second layer is easier since the model is stiffer so has more resistance, hence easier to press down on. Also you know it can be done.

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-05-2021, 03:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
Paper modelling - a relaxing pastime 😊

Tags
apollo, astronaut, buzz aldrin, moon, neil armstrong