PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-05-2021, 08:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
I can't wait to see you try it on...
Old 06-08-2021, 01:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Life size right arm of Buzz finished

Dear all

I managed to get a bit of a window on some time to do the model and have managed to do all the second strengthening layer of Buzz's right arm. Do not worry, just one photo to convince me it is actually done

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14279.jpg

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-08-2021, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCory View Post
I can't wait to see you try it on...
Sorry to disappoint but no photo of me trying on Buzz's right arm. To quote my wife, "Anyone can see you'd get stuck trying that on". Arm safely assisted out and model undamaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
Paper modelling - a relaxing pastime 😊
Most of the time!

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-08-2021, 01:16 AM

Dear all

So with all the arms now done I thought I would have a go at seeing what they look like on the torsos.

First Neil

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-slide1.jpg

and then Buzz

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-slide2.jpg

So that is the shins, knees, thighs, torso and arms "done". By done I mean the main body of the part including strengthening but not including "extras" (like pockets) nor final top layer "covering".

Still I think it is starting to come together.

So next up is the hands/gloves/gauntlets

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-08-2021, 03:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
I love it when a plan comes together !
Attached Thumbnails
Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-orginal_john_hannibal_smith.jpg  
Old 06-09-2021, 02:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
out standing job on this build dam fine work all round
Old 06-13-2021, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
I love it when a plan comes together !
I agree gotham, it is nice when things start coming together

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-13-2021, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
out standing job on this build dam fine work all round
Thanks rifleman for the encouragement. Much appreciated

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-13-2021, 05:02 AM

1/4 scale gloves

Dear all

So I have now moved onto the gloves. First up was my intention to build them for the 1/4 model. However when I started looking at the parts I could not picture quite how everything fitted together. Moreover they looked quite fiddly (for me).

I realised the best thing was to have a rough go on a glove printed on just standard paper to get the "lie of the land" so to speak (or "lay of the land" if you are in USA).

So here is what I did

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13962.jpg

As you can see I only partially built this rough glove. Now the glove comes in 3 natural sections: The "cuff", the "palm" and the "digits" (fingers and thumb). I saw the cuff would be straight forward and this rough up showed me how to do the palm. However for the digits, due to the size, it was not clear exactly how would be bets to (in particular) join them to the palm.

In fact I decided that I now had enough of a feel for the gloves, that it would actually be best to make the life size gloves first and this would then show me the best way to approach the 1/4 size gloves. So that is what I did

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-13-2021, 05:25 AM

Life size gloves started

Dear all

I was now ready to start building the gloves for the life size model. I decided the best thing to do was start with Buzz's left glove and as a "section" was complete then make that section for the remaining three gloves.

So starting with the cuff (which is what makes the glove actually into a gauntlet) which is actually a truncated cone

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14280.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14281.jpg

It is nice to be making parts again. Now the diameter of the the cuff where it joins the "mit" of the glove is a noticeably bigger diameter than the diameter of the mit. (This is exactly as the real thing of course). So I wanted to ensure the mit sat "dead centre" on the cuff. So I thought the best way to ensure this was to have the formers for the cuff and the mit to have the same diameter "hole". Thus I would then just have to make the holes match when it came to gluing the mit onto the cuff and the mit would be prefectly centralized.

Here are the former templates for the cuff being made

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14282.jpg

and then the cuff assembled (Gene checking in on progress)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14283.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14284.jpg

Of course the compulsory strengthening was added

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14285.jpg

Now because the top and bottom of the cuff is partially exposed (due to the mit and also the wrist being smaller diameters than the cuff) "facing" rings were attached

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14286.jpg

And so the cuff was finished

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14287.jpg

A nice straightforward start to the gloves

Regards

Kevin

Tags
apollo, astronaut, buzz aldrin, moon, neil armstrong