PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-22-2021, 11:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
especially when (you've guessed it) I tried it on
I knew it! (love this thread. lol)
Old 08-07-2021, 01:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
It's great to watch as you are presented with a build problem, and come up with a solution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCory View Post
I knew it! (love this thread. lol)
Thanks for your comments gotham and ShadowCory. Glad that you are finding the thread enjoyable.

Regards

Kevin
Old 08-07-2021, 01:35 AM

Thumbs and scissors

Dear all

So progress has been a little slow due to having to deal with other stuff but I have completed the thumbs now

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14330.jpg

The only other development has been the purchase of a scissor sharpener and a new pair of scissors. I went for the Fiskars (left and right handed) sharpener and a pair of Fiskars "razorsharp" scissors.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14381.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14382.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14384.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14385.jpg

I can report the sharpener really worked well on the scissors I tried it on. The "razorsharp" scissors are more heavy duty than my other pair of a similar size. They are a tiny bit stiffer in their action than I want ideally but think they will loosen up with time. They can easily handle thicker paper and card. As for the name it is very apt. They are soooooooo sharp.

Regards

Kevin
Old 08-07-2021, 08:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Never bought a Fiskars product I haven't been happy with. Well, if I bring a pair of Fiskars scissors to a public event, they have a habit of 'walking off'. When I saw that they did garden supplies, I even replaced some items that weren't needing replaced. The first was a pair of 'loppers', a pruner that is about 2 feet long and can handle limbs up to 1 1/2 inches in diameter. By creative cutting, I have done limbs twice that thick. Had them for 20 years and they still amaze folks that I help with their yard work.

I'm sure you will be happy with your purchases
Old 08-07-2021, 12:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
So, at the moment you're all fingers and thumbs on this build - someone had to say it.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Never bought a Fiskars product I haven't been happy with. Well, if I bring a pair of Fiskars scissors to a public event, they have a habit of 'walking off'. When I saw that they did garden supplies, I even replaced some items that weren't needing replaced. The first was a pair of 'loppers', a pruner that is about 2 feet long and can handle limbs up to 1 1/2 inches in diameter. By creative cutting, I have done limbs twice that thick. Had them for 20 years and they still amaze folks that I help with their yard work.

I'm sure you will be happy with your purchases
I agree Vermin_King, I find Fiskers products excellent. I like their kitchen knives too (they are called Kitchen Devils) which are still going strong and still sharpen really well even after over 30 years of use.

Regards

Kevin
Old 08-21-2021, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
So, at the moment you're all fingers and thumbs on this build - someone had to say it.
You made me laugh out loud with that quip gotham!

Regards

Kevin
Old 08-21-2021, 06:52 PM

Index fingers

Dear all

I have been working on the index fingers of all 4 gloves. Here is a photo of production at the "glove factory"

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14331.jpg

There are quite a number of stages to go through. First the bottom ring of the tip of the finger needs to be securely fixed in the middle the top "plate" of the rest of the finger

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14346.jpg

Once the the tip is then built it needs to be reinforced. I need three different tools to do this, namely dental tweezer, a manicure type implement and a glue spreader

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14337.jpg

I coat a small strip of paper with glue and use the tweezers to get it inside the tip in roughly the right place. Then use the manicure implement to manoeuvre it to the correct spot and crease it into position. Finally use the handle end of the glue stick to press the strengthening strip firmly into place

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14339.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14340.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14341.jpg

I find it particularly tricky pushing the strip up underneath the rim to ensure the tip is strengthened at the "open end" of the tip. It takes 13 strips to completely do one tip.

Next the next part of the finger (I am sure all the different sections of the hand have individual names but I do not know what they are) can be joined to the tip.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14342.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14343.jpg

Before the final part of the finger can be attached this part needs to be strengthened (otherwise I will not be able to reach in far enough)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14344.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14345.jpg

Then the final part of the finger is attached

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14347.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14348.jpg

I know have to strengthen that section I have just added. Due to the fingers being basically cylinders I think two layers of paper is enough to make them strong enough for reasonable handling (I am using 160 gsm for the mits of the gloves). However I need the open end of the fingers to be flexible enough to manipulate them when I come to "insert them" into the mit. So it is a bit of guesswork and fingers crossed how far to add the strengthening strips.

The other thing I have learned, is these strips in the fingers (and strengthening strips in general) need to to be fully bonded all over the the previous layer for the strengthening to work. So plenty of glue is needed before spreading to ensure a proper bond

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14349.jpg

And so an index finger is completed

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14350.jpg

And so the process continues for the index fingers

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14351.jpg

Eventually I complete all the index fingers

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14367.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14368.jpg

I now know this is going to take me quite a while to complete the gloves.

Regards

Kevin
Old 08-22-2021, 08:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB

Here you go, sir
Old 08-22-2021, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
That is one heck of a lot of work there 😳😳😳

Tags
apollo, astronaut, buzz aldrin, moon, neil armstrong