PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 09-22-2021, 12:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Ring fingers

Dear all

So time ticks on and gradual progress continues at the glove factory with work continuing. Now up to making the ring fingers.

Again a similar construction to the other fingers.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14386.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14388.jpg

I am really rubbish at edge colouring but picked up a great tip from the forum (I think from Kevin WS or dhanners or mbauer if my memory is correct, which is by no means always right) which is to use a graphite pencil to colour the edge for any part (other than white). I find it works really well. I use a very soft pencil, 6B

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14390.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14391.jpg

As you can see below it is really soft. Running it along the edge of parts "cuts" into the lead of the pencil

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14389.jpg

So I continue making the ring fingers

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14396.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14393.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14395.jpg

I seem to be getting more clumsy and loosing concentration each day and keep catching things, cutting things wrong and so on which require "fixes and repairs"

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14392.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14394.jpg

Anyway I complete the distal and middle phalanges (see post 289 for medical diagram) and join them together

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14397.jpg

and then strengthen them

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14398.jpg

Next the proximal phalanges are made and connected to the rest of the finger

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14399.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14400.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14401.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14402.jpg

Finally I need to strengthen the last part of the finger. So I need a supply of strengthening strips

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14404.jpg

Each strip has to be cut to the right length. I find this very difficult to judge just by "looking into" the finger so instead hold the finger up to a bright light and measure off the distance that way.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14405.jpg

I am still concerned about whether I am making the the fingers too stiff where they are going to join onto the hand but have no real way of judging it. So I gradually strengthen the fingers

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14406.jpg

And finally the ring fingers are finished

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14407.jpg

So just the 4 pinky fingers to go. So the end of the fingers and thumbs production is in sight now

Regards

Kevin

Regards

Kevin
Old 09-22-2021, 03:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
You seem to have the fingers sussed, another section you can tick of your build list.
Old 09-22-2021, 11:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
well your getting there well done
Old 10-18-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
You seem to have the fingers sussed, another section you can tick of your build list.
Yes fingers almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
well your getting there well done
Yes it seems to be slowly getting there

Regards

Kevin
Old 10-18-2021, 01:42 PM

Pinky fingers for life-size models

Dear all

So it is the last fingers, the pinkies.

It is the usual method. Cutting out parts...

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14408.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14409.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14410.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14411.jpg

getting a bit of an assembly line going...

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14412.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14413.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14414.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14415.jpg

strengthening...

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14418.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14419.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14420.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14417.jpg

last bits...

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14423.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14422.jpg

and done...

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14424.jpg

So these last 4 fingers have taken quite a while, mostly due to having not too much time lately for paper modelling. Hopefully that will improve soon.

Anyway, that is 20 digits completed

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14425.jpg

(Gene is "viewing things" in the background!)

Now to join them together and then onto the mit. Crucial is going to be how flexible the fingers will be at the base when joining to the mit. They do feel like I have made them too stiff. I hope not since I would not like to have to remake all those fingers and thumbs again.

Regards

Kevin

Last edited by Algebraist; 10-18-2021 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling corrections
Google Adsense
Old 10-18-2021, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
awesome work as all ways cant wait to see the glove completed once again great work
Old 10-18-2021, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Fingers crossed, sir
Old 11-27-2021, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
awesome work as all ways cant wait to see the glove completed once again great work
Cheers rifleman. Much appreciated. I too am itching to complete the gloves.

Regards

Kevin
Old 11-27-2021, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Fingers crossed, sir
Cheers Vermin_King. About to post what has happened.

Regards

Kevin
Old 11-27-2021, 06:30 AM

Fingers to mit Buzz's left hand

Dear all

So the last month has been very up and down for me, mostly down. However have managed to inch forward on progress of the model. So last time I had completed all the fingers and thumbs

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14425.jpg

So Buzz's left hand digits were selected

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14426.jpg

Then I started to join the fingers to each other. In each case deciding which joining tabs to remove between the fingers

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14427.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14428.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14429.jpg

The joins were too weak and needed strengthening straight away. Then came attaching the fingers to the mit.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14430.jpg

Gluegate! The fingers were too striff near their base and would not flex into the right position to fit into the mit. Ended up tearing and bodging the join near the base of the pinky

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14435.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14436.jpg

I then needed to get some strengthening layers around the joins to stop the whole thing tearing every time I touched it. This was slow (surprisingly delicate) work

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14431.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14432.jpg

Eventually got the hand stable

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14433.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14434.jpg

So now the thumb needed to be attached

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14437.jpg

I now knew these hands are going to need a lot of careful multi layered strengthening. At least 3 layers but possibly up to 6 layers in places. And so began the very slow process of doing that. Because of the curvature and very tight angles the strips could not be very big and each one (it seemed) required several dry fits and trimmings before it could be glued.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14438.jpg

I "discovered" (what everyone has probably known for years) that a dry glue spreader makes a good pressure rubbing stick

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14453.jpg

But slowly and surely strengthened the mit and fingers

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14454.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14455.jpg

until it was finished!

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14456.jpg

There was a totally unforeseen surprise, in that the "wrinkling" effect of the glue made the mit and fingers look leathery, as is really made from a cloth like material. I now need to do the other 3 hands . I am not sure if they will have their own "gluegate" issues but at least I know it should be manageable.

Regards

Kevin

Tags
apollo, astronaut, buzz aldrin, moon, neil armstrong