PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 12-11-2019, 11:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Going back to the 'skeleton' or 'framework' topic, have you considered pool noodles or the solid foam pipe insulation tubes? You can find these in quite a few diameters and they are easy to cut and light weight, but they still would be structurally rigid
Old 12-11-2019, 04:30 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
Burke is also the author of some great books on the history of science and invention, including "Connections" and, my favorite, "The Pinball Effect." They are fascinating reads.
I did not know of the book "the pinball effect", sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I remember the "connections" TV series when it was first broadcast in 1978 (I think the book came later). If you want to see it, it is here

Kevin
Old 12-11-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Going back to the 'skeleton' or 'framework' topic, have you considered pool noodles or the solid foam pipe insulation tubes? You can find these in quite a few diameters and they are easy to cut and light weight, but they still would be structurally rigid
Thanks for the thoughts Vermin_King, much appreciated. I have been experimenting with different types of "skeleton". So far all total failures, so new thoughts are much valued

Regards

Kevin
Old 12-11-2019, 04:45 PM

Life-size Buzz's right knee

Dear all

So after Buzz's right shin I moved onto his right knee. Here is the knee being built up

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13481.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13482.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13483.jpg

I am pleased that the shape behind the knee still works well when scaled up. Here are the rings of the knee finished (one with Gene for scale)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13484.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13485.jpg

It struck me at this point that I could actually "try on" this part of the space suit. So I did and took a photo

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13486.jpg

I don't know why it surprised me you could do this, but it did. It shouldn't since the clue is in the fact that it is "life-size" and it is a space suite model!

Anyway, I then added the formers

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13514.jpg

So next up is Buzz's left shin and knee

Regards

Kevin
Old 12-13-2019, 01:58 PM

Life-Size Buzz's left shin and knee

Dear all

So I have been working on the above. So the "pattern" of method of build is the same as for the right side. Here is the left shin in partial build

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13492.jpg

and then completed

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13502.jpg

So next onto the left knee. So like before it is made up of "rings" as shown here

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13499.jpg

Here are all the rings finished, along with one with Gene to show the scale

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13500.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13501.jpg

So next required are the formers. However, the size of the model has taken its toll on the nail sanding board (used to rough the printed side of the cereal box formers). Rather than "acquiring" more nail boards I thought it best to start using sand paper (as shown)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13503.jpg

It worked a lot better

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13504.jpg

and here are the formers attached

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13505.jpg

So I now have the four sections of Buzz's lower legs as per the model. Here they are resting together. Again one photo with Gene to show the scale

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13506.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13507.jpg

Of course they need first strengthening and then when that is done each knee needs attaching to the correct shin. However before doing this I need to decide whether I am going to build Buzz and then build Neil or build both Buzz and Neil at the same time.

The advantage of building Buzz fist is if I fail I will have not wasted double the time etc on Neil. However if I can do Buzz then it might be too much of a task to start all over again right at the beginning and start building Neil.

After some thought I came to the conclusion that I would probably not have the stamina or will power to start Neil if I successfully completed Buzz first. So I have decided to gamble and build Neil at the same time as Buzz.

So next will be Neil's lower legs.

Regards

Kevin
Old 12-17-2019, 02:40 AM

Life-Size Neil left and right shins and knees

Dear all

So after a while I have been able to do Neil's lower legs. First up was his left shin

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13511.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13523.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13524.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13534.jpg

Then his left knee

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13537.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13538.jpg
Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13540.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13541.jpg

The right shin

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13509.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13510.jpg

and right knee

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13525.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13527.jpg
Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13536.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13539.jpg

Everything was exactly the same for Neil as it was for Buzz since they have identical legs. In fact from a structural point of view, the boots, lower legs, upper legs and torso are identical for Buzz and Neil. However things change when you get to the arms.

I am still "looking at" the boots and I think before doing them (if I work out how to do them) I need to know roughly just what sort of weight they are going to have to support. So the next thing to do is decide on exactly what strengthening support system to use for the model. So a bit of a crunch moment coming up next.

Regards

Kevin
Old 12-23-2019, 07:23 AM

Reinforcing thoughts

Dear all

So I have been thinking about the strength required for this model. First can I say thank you to all the suggestions people have made.

Without doubt I think the strongest method would be to have some sort of internal skeleton. I have done some small experiments using plastic, foam and paper tubes. No matter how I tried I was unable to cut and join tubes successfully or get then to the correct length. I concluded this was just way too skilled for me.

So I have looked as seeing how other people have done life-size figure models I found some interesting you tubes. I thought there would be lots of such models but did not find that many.

There was this one (thanks to ShadowCory in post 35)

This uses tubes and wooden "popsicle" sticks as part of the support. I am unsure that this method would work for my model, partly because the astronauts have very curvy internal surfaces rather than the polygonal shapes of this model. However it is a possibility

I found the following of a life-size Hulk which uses a "foam filling" method

However I have decided against this since too many unknowns for me.

There was also this you tube

This you tuber (Getget Papercraft) has uploaded a number of paper model constructions (not all life-size) but are interesting. See https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHg...3W58ivw/videos

They are clearly skilled at these sort of models and they seem to use a combination of walls strengthened with corrugated card and formers and tubes of card.

So then I turned to the concept of the "walls" of the model containing all the strength of the model. After some more experiments I think that this will work for some parts of the model but probably not all (I am thinking of the torso in particular here). I think some parts are going to need "additional" support beyond the strengthened walls of the model. But I think this will have to be a "solve it as it arises" approach. However this method means that I am not going to join the different sections together. This will allow (if needed) access to "backtrack" and restrengthen a section if needed.

So thinking about my model and in particular the lower legs, the areas of most weakness are the knees and ankles (as shown on this picture of Billy Leliveld's making of the model, see post 34 for link)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-knee-ankle.jpg

There are two issues with the ankle (bottom of the shin). One is the diameter narrows considerably to the top of the boot so with all the weight of the model, there is the issue to stop the ankle of the boot being "pushed up inside" the shin

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-ankle-forces.jpg

A second issue is the arch of the boot not collapsing under the weight of the model. However this is really a "boot" problem to be solved, which can be put off to later.

Then there is the knee

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-knee-forces.jpg

I have to make sure that the "bend" in the knee is kept but that the bend does not collapse under the weight of the model.

My thought is that if the walls are not strong enough then to add a number of multiple layered paper strips that form a type of "strap" in the places that need extra support. A bit like the statute of liberty internal structure (thanks to Btelczynski for pointing out the statue's structure, see post 16). I was lucky enough to visit the statue over 30 years ago early one morning and had the place to myself so could take my time. I remember thinking what an amazing structure inside and took photos. Strange to think those photos would come in useful all these years later, just need to find them!

So with a plan (or sorts) formed, time to start strengthening.

Regards

Kevin
Old 12-23-2019, 08:05 AM

Reinforcing life-size Buzz's right shin

Dear all

So I have decided on the "basic" strengthening method for the lower legs. Here is a cross-section sketch

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13675.jpg

Basically the walls are 3 layer thick and at the ends are interwoven withe the formers and 3 joining layers

So first are the internal former connectors at both ends of the shin. The joining strips are 2 cm in height and the tabs are also 2 cm in height. Because the walls of the shin are not perpendicular to the former the formers need to be moulded to shape and cannot be too long (about 10 cm max). Here is the first end in progress

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13542.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13543.jpg

and then finished along with the other end completed

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13544.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13545.jpg

Next up is the first inner wall. These are strips that are 7 cm wide and the length of the shin (this is about the limit of what I can manage in a single glue). This is a lot of "additional" paper to do all this strengthening. However it is all coming from the "off cuts" of the paper the parts were printed on.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13545.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13551.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13549.jpg

Since the shins are not perfect cylinders there is the need to (again) mould them to the shape of the shin. This moulding involves a certain amount of overlapping, wrinkling and stretching of the paper. I found that because of the large irregular shapes there was not much pre-forming possible. Instead I had to add enough glue to let this happen but not too much glue of course.

Next were the angle reinforcement strips, which were 3 cm deep with 2 cm tabs. It helped marking x's on the 4 corners of a part so I could see where it had gone (part way and finished shown below)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13552.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13554.jpg

Then the second inner wall was added. This was again made up of 7 cm strips the length of the shin. They were placed in roughly the same position as the previous layer which had the effect of forming extra strong struts running the length of the shin. They are labelled A to K

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13553.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13555.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13556.jpg

And so the shin is reinforced

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc13591.jpg

This certainly seems strong

Regards

Kevin
Old 12-23-2019, 12:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
If this doesn't work, have you considered suspending it? Not 'hanging', so much as just taking part of the load off the walls of the model. If the weight is partially supported by the legs and partially from above, neither would have to support the whole thing
Old 12-23-2019, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 426.34 MB
What about bracing the rings from each other with pillars?
This should reinforce each section that connects to the next section. Since they are internal, they can be pretty bulky. And only the bottom sections need to carry the weight of the entire model. As you move up, the sections only carry the weight above them.
But that might mean the boots may be nearly solid paper!
Google Adsense

Tags
apollo, astronaut, buzz aldrin, moon, neil armstrong