PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-23-2009, 06:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
DIRECT Jupiter 130 & 246 at 1/72

Not long ago, I was asked by the team who are developing the DIRECT alternative SDLV system, to model their vehicles for a presentation at NASA HQ in Washington. I built a pair of models in 1/144 of the Jupiter 120 and Jupiter 232 for this presentation. The models were a big hit at the meeting, and the members of the group have told me that they're since on display in the main library at NASA HQ. Those models were the vehicles from DIRECT 2.0, and are shown here:

\

L to R: Chuck Longton, Ross Tierney, Steve Metschan at NASA HQ with my models.

The team members just recently asked me if I would build a new version of these models for the International Space Development Conference in Orlando, that was held last May. There was a catch. They wanted the models to be done at 1/72 scale, and both models had to be redesigned to show the DIRECT 3.0 configurations of the Jupiter 130, and the Jupiter 246. I designed and built them over a nine day period in mid May, and shipped them to the conference the day before it opened.

Here are some photos of the build:

Engine Skirt assembly, side view.

Skirt Assembly showing J-130 configuration, with fourth SSME bell separated.

Skirt Assembly showing J-246 configuration, with all four SSME bells in place.

RSRMs. Geesh these things were big...

A view of the completed core.

Another view of Core, showing scale. Note the Soda can next to it.

J-130 Payload shroud with Orion CEV. Soda can for scale.

J-130 Payload section, with J-246 Upper Stage, Payload Shroud, and Interstage.

Completed and assembled J-130.

Completed and assembled J-246 with 12m Payload shroud.

When I started out with this build, I had no idea conceptually, just exactly how BIG these models were going to be. It was only after I started actually putting things together and seeing their physical sizes that I began to fully realise just how big these things were.

I'd love to say that plans are available, but they aren't. I just didn't keep any of the parts I designed for one thing.

Anyways, I just wanted to share... :D
Google Adsense
Old 06-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Very nicely done - and under pressure, to a deadline, and for an important cause. Best post this month.

Yogi
Old 06-27-2009, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Fine-looking models, and it is always an honor to A) have someone ask you to design and build a model and B) have the thing on display at NASA HQ's library. Great job!
Old 06-28-2009, 11:24 AM

Thank you, Gentlemen, for those very kind comments.

Volunteer once, just once, and see what happens!! :D

I'm in the process of reworking the models back down to 1/144 for release to the public, but I don't have time to do a beta build of the J-246 upper stage section. I remember that there was a problem in the transition from the top of the payload fairing to the nosecone, but I don't remember exactly what I did to rectify it. Which is why I would rather have someone else do a beta build.

Anyone willing? LOL

David: Any chance of you throwing together a really simplified, low-detail version of an Orbiter at 1/144 for another project I have working?
Old 06-28-2009, 03:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.15 GB
I'll give it a shot
Google Adsense
Old 06-28-2009, 03:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Excellent work, your models are very beautiful. Well done!

Although I must say, for looks along, I prefer the Ares V over the Jupiter...just from an aesthetic standpoint. But then the Ares I isn't much to look at either so I guess they kinda cancel each other out! :D

Once again great work, especially given the constraints and the sheer size of these things!

[email protected]
Old 07-07-2009, 06:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 528.19 MB
Man, I want a job like that!!!!
Old 07-07-2009, 06:12 PM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
I 2nd that ! :D
Nice going....
Old 07-08-2009, 08:49 AM

Guys, to be perfectly honest, I'm an historian and museum curator. The modelling bit is a brain-saver that keeps me from going stark raving nuts managing my museum and its collections! In any case, thank you all for your very generous and kind praise! It humbles a guy like me to know that the exceptionally skilled folks like you guys, like what I did. Peer approval is a sublime thing.

As for the 1/144 scale models of the 2.0 launchers, I merely volunteered to build for the Transition Team meeting back in December of last year, and look what its gotten me into! You can find out more about DIRECT at: www.directlauncher.com if you're interested. Unless my memory is failing, Jon has the plans for the 1/144 scale, 2.0 versions on his website.

I'm not a member of the DIRECT team, but when they were asked to present at ISDC last May, I was asked to build another set at the larger scale. If you all will forgive me for seeming to brag, I was told by several of the team members who were attending the conference that the NASA guys were really upset that my models got more attention than theirs did, even though the NASA Ares models were professionally built. Hah! I also was asked if I'd do a set of plans for the 3.0 version, and those are in the works, as soon as I can get a couple of updates from the beta builder.

Of course, if anyone else wants to volunteer to beta build for me, feel free to PM! The only things I'm still having trouble with are the upper stage of the 246.
Old 07-08-2009, 09:34 AM

When I show people some examples of what can be done with paper and cardboard, they all seem to be totally amazed. Most have never heard of card modeling. I've seen these pics before, but for some reason I didn't realize you did built the models.

Nice job!

Ken
Google Adsense