PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 02-27-2021, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
Such awesome!!! Keep going!
Old 02-28-2021, 02:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
glad to see more of this build well done
Old 03-03-2021, 01:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
bit more on life size Neil's left arm

Dear all

So I am trying to make time to do be able to some on the model regularly and have managed to progress Neil's left arm a bit more.

I wanted the "join" of the arms, legs, torso etc to be as good a fit as possible. It does noes not need to be "invisible" because the suit had noticeable seems where it was stitched together.

For this reason I saved the "outers" of the card I used to make the formers for the "ends of the shoulders" of the torsos so I could make (hopefully) good matching formers for the tops of the arms.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14072.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14073.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14074.jpg

As you can see I used the Wolf cutter. It is really good and now essential for me. My hands have deteriorated considerably this last year and I just could not cut this sort of card without the cutter.

Next I considered the former at the wrist end of the arm. My current thinking is that the arms and gloves will be detachable from each other and my method of joining is "bulldog clips". So I needed to decide what size clips to use as this governs the width of the former.

There seem to be 4 standard sizes available of widths 50, 32,25 and 20 mm.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14076.jpg

I have been using the 50 mm size for the previous joins. I thought about weight and size of clip compared to the "tightness" of the curve where they were joining along with strength of grip

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14077.jpg

So after some experimentation and guesswork, I opted for the 25 mm clip size (so the one at the bottom of the above photo). This then governed the width of the former.

The other thing I thought about was the fact that the diameter of the wrist of the arm is considerably smaller than the diameter of the non finger end of the glove (which are basically gauntlets). I knew it would irritate me if when I joined the gloves onto the arms I did not get them "centred". I decided the easiest way to ensure they joined together satisfactorily was to make the hole in the wrist former a perfect circle and have the hole in the (to be made) glove former also a perfect circle of the same size. That way when joining, simply line up the "holes" on the inside of the model which should be easy just by feel when clipping together. Well that is the theory at least! So I cut out the hole in the wrist former made as accurately as I possibly could.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14078.jpg

Next to assemble the arm

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-03-2021, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCory View Post
Such awesome!!! Keep going!
Thanks ShadowCory. Glad you are still enjoying the build

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-03-2021, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
glad to see more of this build well done
Hi rifleman. It has been difficult finding time or energy for things like this with stuff that is going on. But trying to ensure a few mins each day to "take a breather" (so to speak). So hopefully small but regular progress.

The forum is a real help, so thank you to all the people who enable it to operate. Very much appreciated.

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-07-2021, 03:44 AM

Life size left arm of Neil continued

Dear all

It is now time to assemble Neil's left arm. So first joining the main sections together

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14080.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14082.jpg

I decided to add the wrist former to the wrist part first and then join that part to the arm. I figured it was best to keep the wrist as round/accurate as possible and I thought this was the best way to achieve this (so any discrepancies would be absorbed into the arm so to speak)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14081.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14083.jpg

Then it was onto the shoulder end of the arm

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14084.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14085.jpg

As you can see the model has a natural bend in the arm which looks good on the model. However on the scaling up makes this quite a weak point and the arm wants to fold at this point. So the arm will have to be strengthened especially since it needs to take the glove and that forms quite a "lever" effect on the arm.

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-07-2021, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
How do you intend to strengthen it? I've tried octagonal rings, 3d box rings, extra layers, etc. , but weak points tend to remain weak points
Old 03-20-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
How do you intend to strengthen it? I've tried octagonal rings, 3d box rings, extra layers, etc. , but weak points tend to remain weak points
So I am doing a combination of thickening the walls plus at the "crease point" (which is the elbow joint in this case) multiple strips.

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-20-2021, 07:38 AM

Yet more on Neil's left arm

Dear all

I am now onto the strengthening of Neil's left arm. I decided to go with triple layering and then at the hinge point of the elbow adding (as required) strips on top of each other on the inside of the elbow and directly opposite on the inside of the "bend" of the arm. My thinking is these are the two points where the arm wants to hinge so the strips at the elbow should act like a brace to stop the tensile forces of the bend and the other strips should act like a brace stop the compressive forces of the bend. Well that is the theory.

So first layer 2

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14109.jpg

Then layer 3

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14112.jpg

Now at this point the arm was very strong and had only very slight flexing so I just added some "extra patches" at some critical points (for example the bits labeled "X")

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14113.jpg

The arm is now rock solid.
I thought a comparison would be nice at this point for scale purposes. So first up is "Gene", Apollo mug, and 1/4 arm

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14185.jpg

Then Neil's life size left arm added

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14186.jpg

As you can see I have also added a strengthening band around the wrist and shoulder as the angle was quite sharp and I thought "rubbing" might become an issue.

Just one more photo of me trying on the arm

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14110.jpg

It took quite a number of goes to take this photo and get the arm in the photo!

Regards

Kevin
Old 03-20-2021, 03:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 29.59 MB
You are 100% going to wear this suit, aren't you? Lolol!

Tags
apollo, astronaut, buzz aldrin, moon, neil armstrong