PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-17-2021, 01:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
life size mitt started

Dear all

So I have been working on the mitt part of Buzz's left glove. Extra excitement in the fact it is made of coloured parts! These are the first coloured parts I have used in the life size model so far.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14288.jpg

So first up is the easy part of forming an undulating ring

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14291.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14292.jpg

I then figured out where I wanted to put tabs for the "palm" part

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14290.jpg

It was then just a matter of joining the bits together which was made relatively easy since I now knew what shape to "pre form" each part into to make the right contour surface

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14293.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14294.jpg

As you can see I added a former which has the same diameter hole as the hole in the cuff former it joins onto

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-17-2021, 01:40 PM

Some stats (so far)

Dear all

I know some people like to know the "stats" of models so I thought now would be a good time to give some for the life size astronauts so far (which have been "averaged")

Each "shin" has 126 parts, and weighs 210 g (7.5 oz)
Each "knee" has 141 parts and weighs 170 g (6 oz)
Each pair of thighs has 460 parts and weighs 1205 g (42.5 oz)
Each torso has 470 parts and weighs 1010 g (35.5 oz)
Each arm has 152 parts and weighs 320 g (11 oz)

For the whole model (ie both Neil and Buzz combined) so far, the total number of sheets of A3 paper used is 326, it contains 3232 parts which cover an area of over 36.5 square metres (393 square ft), has used 2.6 litres (88 fl oz) of glue and weighs 7230 g (1st 2 lb).

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-18-2021, 01:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
The stats sure bring this project into perspective.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
for all that got to say DAM FINE WORK well done that man carry on
Old 06-24-2021, 01:23 AM

As always you are very encouraging rifleman. Many thanks.

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-24-2021, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
The stats sure bring this project into perspective.
Doing a big long term project I think it is good to keep some stats since I find you forget what was involved in each stage as you progress.

Regards

Kevin
Old 06-24-2021, 01:31 AM

remaining 3 cuffs

Dear all

So steady progress on the gloves in that the remaining 3 cuffs have now been made. Below are some photos of various stages of construction.

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14295.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14296.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14297.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14299.jpg

I am still unsure about the fingers and thumbs so am considering how to do these as I move onto the remaining three mitts.

Regards

Kevin
Old 07-06-2021, 07:45 AM

other three mitts

Dear all

I have now completed the other three mitts. Below are some pictures of them being made

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14300.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14301.jpg

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14302.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14303.jpg

So next it is onto the fingers and thumb. That's 20 digits in all. I still am not completely sure how I am going to do these but the time has come to start them.

Regards

Kevin
Old 07-06-2021, 07:51 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I am sure you will figure it out
Old 07-12-2021, 09:01 AM

Test glove

Dear all

So I have been thinking about the glove for a while now, in particular two aspects: First how to go about attaching the fingers and second what construction of the entire glove to make it tough enough.

I eventually came to the conclusion that I needed to make a rough life size prototype and by doing this it would (hopefully) show me the way.

So I printed out on draft grey-scale on usual printer paper one glove and decided to make it up quickly and fairly roughly.

The digits were done first

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14307.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14308.jpg
Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14309.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14311.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14312.jpg

As you can see it is rough. Then the mitt and cuff

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14313.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14314.jpg

Very quickly it became clear that the best way to proceed was to join the fingers together and then join the bank of 4 fingers to the mitt, then the thumb and then the "hand" to the cuff

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14316.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14315.jpg

I also learned this needs to be an incredibly accurate build. If you are out with the curvature of any off the joints then it just will not fit together. You might notice a strip of white paper near the bottom of the mitt below the little finger. This is a patch, needed because of not making the mitt accurately around the thumb caused the mitt to rip in order to fit. The one reassuring point is Ken is such a great designer, if I build it properly everything will fit like "a glove"

The build also made me rethink my strengthening plan. I thought the gloves were bound to get quite a bit of handling when assembling the model so would have to be fairly robust. The last thing I wanted was a model with "dented fingers" (or head etc) since that would not look good. So I had settled on the idea of filling the gauntlets with expandable foam. The trials of trying to fill toilet roll tube "creations" had not been very successful however. But now my thinking is the gauntlets are already stronger than I was expecting due to their shape (and that is just with standard printer 80gsm paper) so I now think it will be possible to make strong enough gauntlets using standard methods of formers and layers.

Regards

Kevin

Tags
apollo, astronaut, buzz aldrin, moon, neil armstrong