PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 07-12-2021, 09:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
A thought

Dear all

So I have finished a prototype (rough) life size glove. It is huge compared to my actual hand

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14317.jpg

Of course it would be a bit bigger since on the real suit there is a hand within a glove within a glove within a glove. But it struck me just how big it is, especially when (you've guessed it) I tried it on

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14318.jpg

I am amazed you could do anything with your hand with these on. It really brought it home to me how absolutely everything for the Apollo missions had to be carefully thought out. Zero was "usual" or "straightforward".

As I slipped on the glove it crossed my mind what the Apollo astronauts would have thought when they first tried on the gloves. I don't know if you have ever been planning for something for a long time, or wanting to visit somewhere for years, or had a very long term goal. For me when this has happened there has always been a point when I have done something or something has happened when suddenly you know it is really going to happen. I wonder if trying on the gloves for the astronauts was one of those moments they really were going to walk on the moon.

Just in case anyone does not know, in the downloads section are the parts for the gloves for Ken's model so you can go get them, blow them up by 400% and make your own Apollo space suit gloves. They seem very real when you put them on.

Regards

Kevin
Old 07-12-2021, 02:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I had no idea they were that huge.

How did it fit? Did you go get a pair of gloves and put on a larger pair of gloves over those?
Old 07-12-2021, 03:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
well done that man knew you could pull it off hehe fine build again well done
Old 07-13-2021, 03:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
There's a wonder you could hold anything with those gloves on.
Great (test) build - the excitement continues.😊
Old 07-17-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
I had no idea they were that huge.

How did it fit? Did you go get a pair of gloves and put on a larger pair of gloves over those?
Well Vermin_King, since you asked:-

Basically the glove you see is made up as follows: There is a soft inner glove which touches the astronauts skin. This is to absorb sweat and stop abrasions. It is then surrounded by the "pressure containing bladder" glove. This is made from a neoprene dipped type of flexible rubber. This is the layer that contains/traps the "atmosphere" inside the space suit. It is then surrounded by a tough protective third glove, which is what we can see. the grey parts are made from "Chromel R" which is basically stainless steel thread woven into a cloth. The blue fingertips are molded silicon "cups". Between ech of the gloves are may other layers of protection (like layers of "beta cloth" which is fibre glass teflon coated cloth). However the entire "glove" is fused together so the astronaut simply puts on "the single composite glove"

There is a nice article explaining things properly on ninfinger's site (the paper model site). Here is a link

Apollo Extravehicular Mobility Unit Gallery

Also one about other bits of the apollo space suits

Apollo Extravehicular Mobility Unit Gallery

Here is a video showing the apollo suits being made at the ILC factory

Regards

Kevin
Old 07-17-2021, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
well done that man knew you could pull it off hehe fine build again well done
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotham View Post
There's a wonder you could hold anything with those gloves on.
Great (test) build - the excitement continues.😊
Thanks rifleman and gotham. Glad you are enjoying the thread

Regards

Kevin
Old 07-17-2021, 11:36 AM

glove factory opens

Dear all

So I have made a start on the actual life size gloves. essentially a production line style is how I am approaching it, a sort of "glove factory". I can already tell it is going to take some time to make all 4 gloves.

To start with I am going to make all the thumbs. So first up will be Buzz's left thumb (though all the thumbs are the same). The thumb is in two "sections", the blue "tip" and the the grey "stem" (if you get what I mean. The grey part is "fabric" (actually woven stainless steel cloth called Chromel R) so there is always the possibility over coving that bit afterwards and it does have a cloth wrinkled appearance in real life. The blue tip is a smooth silicone cup. Thus I don't foresee the blue tips being covered so I want to try and make them as neat and smooth as I can manage. For this reason I am using uhu glue for the blue tips.

So here are the parts being cut out and partially assembled

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14319.jpg Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14320.jpg

Two very noticable things on the real gloves is the tips and where they join the stems are perfectly round and also that the tips are a noticeably smaller diameter than the stems. (you can see why this is so in the video in the above post which includes the glove being assembled). To get the model to look right I decided that I needed to use formers in the joins of the tip and the stem

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14321.jpg

To ensure the tip is centred on the stem I made the hole in both formers the same diameter.

So I added the former to the tip and completed it, added the former to the end of the stem (making a "bottle cap") and made the ring to the thumb stem (all shown below)

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14322.jpg

I think the glove will get quite a bit of bumping/handling. The parts for the gloves are on 160 gsm paper so I decided that the tips need to have an inner strengthening layer

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14324.jpg

Next I cut out the hole in the "bottle top" and add it to the ring of the stem of the thumb

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14325.jpg

So now I am ready to glue the tip of the thumb to the stem of the thumb. Then I realised I had mad a mistake. I really needed to ensure the former ring of the thumb was well and truly glued to the former of the "bottle top" of the stem. So I had intended gluing those together before making the rest of the tip and then reinforcing it (because this way I can get great pressure gluing the two formers together thus ensuring the tip of the thumb does not come off).

So I have to just try and glue them together by putting weight on them without crushing the parts

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14326.jpg

Will found out tomorrow if it works.

Regards

Kevin
Old 07-22-2021, 12:57 AM

thumb assembly line

Dear all

Following on from my last post I am happy to say that the ad hoc gluing of the thumb together has worked. This meant that the production of all the digits of the gloves has moved into full swing starting with the remaining thumbs.

Here is a photo of progress so far

Life-Size Buzz and Neil (enlarged 1/4 Ken West "Apollo Astronauts on the Moon")-sdc14329.jpg

Regards

Kevin
Old 07-22-2021, 01:02 AM

Dear all

For those interested, here are two more videos of the Apollo era about the space suits.

This one is a mid 1960's (so pre moon landing) NASA information film on the suits

and this one is an excerpt from the NASA film "Moonwalk One" which was around 1970. This film was "lost" and then recently rediscovered in the NASA vaults

Regards

Kevin
Old 07-22-2021, 04:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.75 GB
It's great to watch as you are presented with a build problem, and come up with a solution.

Tags
apollo, astronaut, buzz aldrin, moon, neil armstrong