PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 03-12-2021, 09:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
Geli X-15

Hello,

Today I'm starting on Geli's 1/33 scale model of the X-15. I like Geli's models and am glad to see they are selling them again after years of being rare or impossible to find.

The kit consists of two sheets of colored parts, one sheet of cardboard parts which includes the assembly sketches, and some clear plastic for the windshields. The colored parts are painted rather than just printed, so the colors are very bright and glossy. (Or... DARK and glossy, in the case of the black!).

Assembly is a little different than conventional in that the first section is Part 5, but you can follow the numerical order of assembly even if you can't read German since numbers are easy to see amonst the words.

I free-handed some finger holes in the two frames to make assembly easier (as I recall, the other Geli kits I've done already have the circles marked), and used a black marker to go over the dashed lines on the glue tabs so that no white shows at my seams.

I should have cut out one frame (as I normally do) before cutting out the second frame, because I see that on this kit I should be cutting at the outer edge of the cardboard outlines, not the inner edge. They were much too loose, so I had to glue a layer of card around the perimeter of the frames to tighten them up.

More to come,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Geli X-15-img_1447.jpg   Geli X-15-img_1452.jpg   Geli X-15-img_1453.jpg   Geli X-15-img_1454.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 03-12-2021, 12:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Good start, and as an X-15 fanatic, I will watch with interest.

Interesting that Geli took that approach to the design. Most card models of the X-15 have you build the fuselage tube, then add the side tunnels as separate structures, just like the real vehicle.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.73 MB
That may be the X-15 that was converted into a land speed record vehicle, by adding four wheels. A really bad idea that killed the young lady driving it.
Actually looking at pictures of the NASA chase plane, converted to an automobile, it doesn't seem to have the same tail number.

Last edited by ringmaster; 03-12-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-12-2021, 06:43 PM

The second section, which is actually #4, has the side tunnels tapering down as we get closer to the nose. The fit is pretty good on the parts.

The section forward of this one, #3, actually is a tube as referred to by dhanners. The cones for the front of the tunnels are separate parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Geli X-15-img_1455.jpg   Geli X-15-img_1457.jpg  
Old 03-12-2021, 08:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
I built one of these over 20 years ago. It wasn't very detailed kit but I was happy with it. Yours is coming along nicely.
Google Adsense
Old 03-12-2021, 10:03 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
That may be the X-15 that was converted into a land speed record vehicle, by adding four wheels. A really bad idea that killed the young lady driving it.
Actually looking at pictures of the NASA chase plane, converted to an automobile, it doesn't seem to have the same tail number.
That was the North American Eagle, and it was a F-104 Star Fighter, and in one documentary on it, mentioned it was a Chuck Yeager flown aircraft(might have that wrong), and the driver was Jessi Combs.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 03-13-2021, 02:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post

There were only three X-15's ever built. One of them was destroyed in a deadly accident high up in the sky, the two others, being significant historic objects, are of course displayed in museums. This is not the kind of plane one would ever even consider converting into a land-based speed record machine.
(and on that note, I also would vote against just adding wheels to an F-104 for such a purpose. But that might just be me. (-; )

And about the model itself, the colours and print look really good. I just am wondering, adding to David Hanners' remark on how the fuselage is designed in this model, whether there actually wasn't a more noticeable angle in the fuselage where the side tunnels extend from the fuselage tube.

Last edited by Paper Kosmonaut; 03-13-2021 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-13-2021, 09:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
There were only three X-15's ever built. One of them was destroyed in a deadly accident high up in the sky, the two others, being significant historic objects, are of course displayed in museums. This is not the kind of plane one would ever even consider converting into a land-based speed record machine.
(and on that note, I also would vote against just adding wheels to an F-104 for such a purpose. But that might just be me. (-; )

And about the model itself, the colours and print look really good. I just am wondering, adding to David Hanners' remark on how the fuselage is designed in this model, whether there actually wasn't a more noticeable angle in the fuselage where the side tunnels extend from the fuselage tube.
In short, yes, there is a distinctive angle where the side tunnels join the fuselage.
Attached Thumbnails
Geli X-15-img_0864.jpg   Geli X-15-img_0865.jpg  
Old 03-13-2021, 09:37 AM

Hello,

Speaking of side tunnel angle, it does become distinct at the front of Section #4. I mentioned, yesterday, that Section #3 becomes a tube and I caused myself a problem by not paying more attention to the position of the #4 frame... The frame was set a bit too far forward, so when #3 had to curve in front of the frame (to cross the tunnels), it held the skin from seating against #4 at that corner. I first started scuffing away some of the frame, then decided it was easier to notch the skin since that area would be hidden anyway (see photos).

The cockpit interior is not added until later in the sequence, but I went ahead and cut the opening and bent down the sides before gluing this section to the rest of the fuselage. It was easier to handle and reach inside, and the fit against the rest of the fuselage is easy and does not stress the paper.

Take care,
Kurt
Attached Thumbnails
Geli X-15-img_1463.jpg   Geli X-15-img_1464.jpg   Geli X-15-img_1465.jpg   Geli X-15-img_1466.jpg  
Old 03-14-2021, 07:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 112.04 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGiraffe View Post
Hello,

Today I'm starting on Geli's 1/33 scale model of the X-15. I like Geli's models and am glad to see they are selling them again after years of being rare or impossible to find.

Kurt
Geli models are perhaps the most iconic card models ever marketed. As you may or may not know., Geli was started in 1954 by Herr Karl Wittrich and Frau Gertraud Litscher (Thus the name GE-LI) in Austria. These models were the first ones printed in 1/33 scale and extremely popular in Austria, selling at very cheap prices and with an assortment of more than 60 models. Nowadays, GELI is again available thanks to a guy in Germany who got the rights and decided to print them again. Geli models aren't as accurate as other brands like, for instance, Halinski, but they are nice enough to build up a collection of famous aircraft without having to spend years to make them.
Check a couple of photos of Geli founders I found on the web
Attached Thumbnails
Geli X-15-karl-wittrich.jpg   Geli X-15-gertraud-litscher-karl-wittrich.jpg  
Google Adsense