PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 06-18-2021, 10:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Those flotation bags really look great, Dave. Besides, apart from closing up being hard, they are gradually becoming in a more or less deflated state when the capsule is in Stable One*. So if they are a little floppy, that even makes them look more realistic in my eyes.

(*for those not in the know: Stable One was the term for apex/pointy end skyward; stable two was when the apex was facing to the bottom of the sea - and the balloons were used to flip the capsule over)
Old 06-18-2021, 03:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
And because of the coloured pattern on the larger fabric bags, I pulled out a sphere template that is comprised of hexagon and pentagon faces (like the real thing).
So its not actually a sphere, it is a goldberg polyhedron
More precisely in your case, a truncated icosahedron, the starting point for soccer balls and fullerene molecules.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airdave View Post
Anyway my point is, whatever template you use, the problem with paper spheres is the final closure of the sphere.
And it becomes a challenge to finish your construction.
If you are making hemispheres or domes, things get a bit easier.

Everything went well assembling the small panels on my Flotation Bags until the last few tabs and closures.

If you were constructing a World Globe, vertical petals might be a better option since that it exactly how globes have been constructed by map makers for centuries.
But its still those last connections and closures that will give you the most trouble!
I have a little experience with pseudospherical polyhedra due to my (deceased) site on map projections. For regular and semiregular polyhedra I always left a face with no tabs and suggested it should be glued last. I laminated the "ring" of faces surrounding it, and sometimes the tabs from the inside, so the last face was more easily set (sometimes I inserted a laminated face identical to the last one and glued it inside the tabs, giving a solid base to glue the true face). Also, for pseudoglobes with the South Pole on a face I set it on the last face, to better hide eventual imperfections.
How to make spherical shapes?(I'm new)-img_5235a_600.jpg
For globes with gores (the technical name for spherical petals), I usually truncated the tips of all gores, closing the hole with a small circle, since it's hard to align many sharp points. That meant the poles were slightly flatter than the rest of the model, but for a planet this actually better matches reality... Again, it's better gluing the North hole first, using a stick to help, and leaving the less visible South end last.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 451.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
they are gradually becoming in a more or less deflated state when the capsule is in Stable One
Agreed, I can't recall a picture with them stuffed round.
Old 07-12-2021, 07:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 592.55 MB
... my advice (from a total ignorant) ... is planning:

Just like any self-respecting papercraft builder, TEST the joining of pieces of a model with your hands, before gluing it, to test whether the pieces match or not.

my advice is the following, if you are going to make a sphere: CLOSE it on the site that no one will see. (or better yet, if the sphere has to be glued to another piece ... obviously close the sphere just in the place you will glue it and it will be hidden)
... in short: planning.

the ugly lines that remain when joining petals ... fiber, color marker, paint the edges, and the inner face ... and I swear, the marks will disappear. It will look like one piece. I did it in all my cars made. you have to get really close to see the lines. (applicable to any part of any model) except the white color for obvious reasons.
... that yes, using a fiber is VERY VERY dangerous, (like a weapon without insurance, you prepare your hands as a surgeon) you have to make sure that the fiber does THEIR job, and nothing else ... come in, do its I work, and it goes out. have the fiber close to the model, your hands with a microscopic ink, or something similar, and bang, STAINS.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 143.14 MB
Here are two other methods Ethan13.

First to make solid spheres from strips of paper as shown in this video

Second is to buy ready made paper pulp spheres like this

(for example they can be bought from craft websites like SMALL PAPER PULP BALLS PACK OF 100

They can easily be painted and glued. For example here they are being used as start up tanks on a rocket model

How to make spherical shapes?(I'm new)-sdc13206.jpg

Regards

Kevin
Old 07-17-2021, 09:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.77 MB
Very useful, especially the video. Thanks!!!
Old 07-28-2021, 04:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Perfect paper spheres

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pb9Sn0g6oQA
Old 07-30-2021, 11:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 133.91 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Algebraist View Post
Second is to buy ready made paper pulp spheres like this

(for example they can be bought from craft websites like SMALL PAPER PULP BALLS PACK OF 100

They can easily be painted and glued. For example here they are being used as start up tanks on a rocket model

Attachment 451143

Regards

Kevin
A few weeks ago I found them at a florist shop; I bought two measures, 12 and 15 mm.
I would have liked to say «went at the florist, finished J-2 engines», but I can't, due to real life priorities...
Old 07-31-2021, 11:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Paper sphere from Japan
ローカルペーパークラフト(ぱたぱた) | araさんのブログ - 楽天ブログ
Old 07-31-2021, 12:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 406.41 MB
Another option if you have access is just 3d printing the spheres. I did a 3d model of a sphere (about 30 seconds for a novice in blender) and printed them in millimeter increments from 3 to 12. Did 4 to 6 of each, have them stored for when I need them. I had a template for paper mache spheres, but they were way time consuming and still had an irregular surface for a pressure sphere.

Keep in mind I'm using these mostly for pressurization tanks on Agena, Centuar, Atlas and random satellites, not map globes.
Google Adsense