PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-13-2012, 05:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Ariane V variants in 1/144, 1/100, and 1/96

Now available at AXM as free downloads. These are quite nice -- the ESC-A variant is pictured here:

The SYLDA payload dispenser is included with this variant. Now I'm wondering if I can build Yogi's Herschel/Planck pair at 1/96...

And...

Yes -- Hermes is available in paper at last!

Ariane V
Google Adsense
Old 08-13-2012, 07:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Say, Joseph, you ran out of glue? (-:

Aside from the joking, great model at first sight. I like the Hermes variant!
Old 08-13-2012, 07:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper Kosmonaut View Post
Say, Joseph, you ran out of glue?
Oh, that's not my build. You can tell when I build them, because I use glue -- there's usually copious quantities of it smeared on the outside where it doesn't belong.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 2.67 GB
Ditto on the last part ...
Old 08-13-2012, 09:17 AM

I think all of your builds, from what I've seen from it, look very good. No complaining there.
I just am very surprised by the way these models are presented. How can a designer who takes himself serious, present a new kit like this? Sticky tape? come on, people! Sticky tape is for wrapping presents, not for making models.

For promotional pictures on a very good website such as AXM's, I think these pictures just show very messy builds. And I hope they will be replaced with the proper glue-built versions soon. It's not representative of the site's good quality models, in my opinion.
However, I downloaded the kits and I am curious of what it might look when built. With glue, that is. The sheets look promising enough!

Besides al that, why would you keep an 8 year old away from a bottle of (white) glue? I was using glue in kindergarten. Sticky tape.. Pff!

Boy, am I grumpy today!
Old 08-13-2012, 10:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 220.03 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to axm61
You are right regarding the presentation. The pics will be removed soon and waiting for a better build.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:12 AM

That's a good idea, Alfonso! Thanks for hosting those models, by the way.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 220.03 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to axm61
Hi to the group,

I received a reply from David Brown, who designed and co-designed the Hermes Shuttle with the Ariane V variant models as a response to my message regarding his models and the method of using scotch tape. Read below:

Hi Alfonso:
"With regards to the use of sticky-tape. As already mentioned in previous emails, my models are not only for hobbyists but also for school students (aged as young as 8). I first learned about your website in 2009, while working as a teacher, as I searched the internet for various paper models which could be used in classroom lessons.

When I finally resolved to design my own models, I made sure that the final design(s) could be utilised by other teachers without the use of glue. The patience and endurance of primary-school students is somewhat limited and the amount of time (per week) that a teacher can allocate to paper modeling is restricted by the other demands of teaching (science, maths, history, etc.). My model(s) are designed so that the students can cut out and construct a model in only a few days - enabling a teacher to integrate the use of 3D paper models into their lesson planning. It would be unreasonable to expect children (students) to be able to commit themselves to the laborious and time-consuming task of gluing their paper models together when the option of using sticky-tape was available.

I also mentioned in the assembly manuals that my models were made with sticky-tape and that a glued model (constructed by an experienced adult) would appear far superior. This was deliberately done to show any teachers/students that their finished model will have the same appearance as mine - even if they use sticky-tape.

If possible - might it be possible for you to post this email onto your web-site as a "generic comment" to any other people who complain about the use of sticky tape.

Yours sincerely,
David Brown
Old 08-13-2012, 04:16 PM

I'd say that for the benefit of their fine motor skills, developing a sense of accuracy and cleanliness in things they make, the usage of glue in this case is almost obligatory for children. Nothing negative about the models themselves, like I said, they look fine, but to me it looks like the pictured models actually were made by an intensely bored and disinterested 8 year old armed with too much sticky tape instead of an adult.

It make me curious of how Yogi lets his school classes make stomp rockets. Sticky tape or glue?

Last edited by Paper Kosmonaut; 08-13-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: i added letters
Old 08-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
David, Alphonso, P-K et. al.
Good rationale for tape construction - if you're trying to build something in a classroom session tape is probably the best option. Of course, some additional consideration is needed in the design to allow for taped construction. Tape is all we use when building the simplest stomp rockets (ages 6 and up). What a more experienced builder might consider a "rough" construction is just fine (and much loved) by the little ones, especially since they do it all themselves.
Tape is not a bad choice for prototyping, quick and re-positionable (a few times, anyway). Personally, I use glue since the Titebond II carpenters glue sets almost immediately (quick) and I try to do my re-positioning by dry-fitting the parts beforehand.

Yogi (BTW - Alphonso just might post/credit the first "glue" builder ... pics anyone?)
Google Adsense