PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 08-06-2021, 09:18 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.07 MB
AXM Falcon 9 Questions

Currently working on AXM's Falcon 9 for CRS-22 and have a couple questions on assembly.

First, there are two capsule support rings on the dragon 2 cargo launch config sheet. Do these get glued together, or is one placed in the capsule and one at the bottom before applying the heat shield? Instructions are for earlier versions and it's not clear for this variant.

Second, on the same sheet, there are black tabs running along the top of the service module portion, for lack of a better term. Do these get folded in and the the cargo capsule glued to them?

Third, how are the titanium grid fins assembled? There are four parts and I'm not sure how they go together. There are no instructions for these parts that I can find. Everything else looks pretty straight forward. Thanks!
Google Adsense
Old 08-07-2021, 05:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Hi Rambler, so I took a look at my 1:144 rescale of the Dragon Capsule and I only used one of the discs labeled Capsule Support. I was able to get the rigidity and structure needed with just the one at that scale. So prior to placing the "top cones" I formed the side wall of the capsule into its truncated cone, inserted the Support Ring, and then bent the lower glue tabs down to seal against the ring. Then the heat shield covered the ring and glue tabs.

I think the black tabs you're speaking of, 8 of them, are part of the docking ring. Those would be bent to 90 deg but nothing glues to them.

As for the grid fins, I again took some creative license here. Since my rocket is shown pre-launch (or in flight/stowed) I did not use the inner former (blank piece) or back piece. Instead I rolled the straight black piece to form a ring with the black on the outside. This was glued to the inside of the "outer" part. I then folded back the sides (slightly rounded to meet the contour of the "aft" end). If you were to do this rocket in its landing/landed config, use the blank inner former and some card to increase the thickness slightly. Add the back piece to one side and then fold the sides of the outer piece around these. Again the ring adds dimension to the top. Hope these descriptions help.
Attached Thumbnails
AXM Falcon 9 Questions-img_1866-1-.jpg   AXM Falcon 9 Questions-img_1867-1-.jpg   AXM Falcon 9 Questions-img_1868-1-.jpg  
Old 08-08-2021, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the explanation and pictures! The pics are very helpful. I think I'll give your approach to the support rings a go and see how it goes. Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking regarding the grid fins. The only other thing I could think of was glueing the two inner parts together and then glue them into the inside of the outer fin piece. Regarding the tabs, there's only four of them. I'll get a pic up when Im able to to better explain what I'm talking about.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:01 PM

The tabs I'm referring to are circled in red in the image below. All I can figure out is they bend in so the capsule can attach to them. Thanks again for any help!

Old 08-12-2021, 06:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Hmm, that's a tough one Rambler, but from the photos and vidios of CRS-21 and 22 it looks like those are folded in. They definitely aren't visible on the outside of the kit. Might be attachment points added by AXM to secure the "heatshield" to the cargo section. But I haven't built the cargo section (yet).
Google Adsense
Old 08-25-2021, 10:05 PM

Thanks, sreinmann. That's pretty much the conclusion I've come to as well, so I'm planning on folding them in then glueing the capsule to them. Thanks again for your help!