PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 04-14-2022, 03:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 898.56 MB
That is very nice looking!

Are you using paper, cardstock, or a bit of both?
Old 04-14-2022, 10:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB

Thanks, I'm using cardstock (110lb?). It's been years since I purchased it.

I had my first little miss-fit, the first two segments of the 1st stage didn't want to go together. A little bit of surgery fixed it right up. The second and third segments were just fine. It's getting tall and has a precarious lean, the two engine bells do not make for a very stable base. Probably have to make one.

The fourth segment/tank top looks like a bit of a challenge. . .
Attached Thumbnails
Gemini?-img_e3885.jpg   Gemini?-img_3886.jpg   Gemini?-img_3887.jpg   Gemini?-img_3888.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 04-15-2022, 03:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Great progress!
Old 04-15-2022, 11:40 PM

The pace has really slowed down here trying to picture what order of steps to take.

Taking a break to boop the snoot!
Attached Thumbnails
Gemini?-img_3889.jpg   Gemini?-img_e1984.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 04-16-2022, 01:46 PM

Got up this morning with new vigor for the tank top. One issue I was having was the 'floppy-ness' of the tank and trying to get it into the cylinder straight and aligned. Gluing it to a piece of scrap and then trimming it round did the trick.

The another issue I was having was the stringers and when to put them in place. I cut the rectangles out before forming, being a little more careful rolling the tube, and then putting the stringers in after the upper former was in place.

A few more parts and the first stage is complete!
Attached Thumbnails
Gemini?-img_3890.jpg   Gemini?-img_3891.jpg   Gemini?-img_3892.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense
Old 04-18-2022, 09:45 AM

Busy day yesterday, still spent a lot of time just staring at the parts. But I did have almost the whole day just to play with this.

I'm still wondering if I should do anything to strengthen the interstage stringers, they feel like its's the weak point of the stack.

The second stage went together with relative ease. I did have to trim the tank top so it would fit down to the bulkhead.
Attached Thumbnails
Gemini?-img_3891.jpg   Gemini?-img_3892.jpg   Gemini?-img_3894.jpg   Gemini?-img_3895.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 04-18-2022, 10:22 AM

I started the capsule adapter section with some magnets. There are larger magnets under the second stage bulkhead, but the magnets visible here turned out to be too small. They do help to align but they don't do much to hold the capsule in place.

The capsule itself was pretty easy, but I' not super satisfied with the windows though. Mating the capsule and the adapter section was perfect. The adapter to the foil bulkhead took a little sanding but when I glued it it popped right into place. A few more of the surface details and a little aid to get it to stand straight, it's finished!
Attached Thumbnails
Gemini?-img_3896.jpg   Gemini?-img_3897.jpg   Gemini?-img_3898.jpg   Gemini?-img_3900.jpg   Gemini?-img_3901.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 04-23-2022, 07:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
Good Morning Mechanic,

You do beautiful and clean work. 1/48 scale really works for this model. My only suggestion might be some edge coloring with a soft pencil around your cuts for the inset of the windows to downplay the white paper.

I'm a 1960's kid. Although I have always admired the elegance of the Apollo CSM, Gemini represents the adventure of spaceflight for spacewalks, and rendezvous at 18000 MPH (5 miles per second). Talk about Pioneers...

Bravo from Texas!
Old 04-23-2022, 07:59 AM

Thank you SAustin16, I appreciate your comments.

Isaac Asimov
Old 04-24-2022, 11:23 AM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
Mechanic,

My apologies...I must have been looking at earlier pics when I mentioned edge coloring. Your latest photos show a FANTASTIC model. Extremely well done.

Steve
Google Adsense