PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-01-2022, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Leo's Mercury-Atlas

Just seemed the natural next model for me to do. I am doing the 1/48, but Leo does include all the parts to do a 1/24 capsule.

Started with the radio can. It was either that or the recovery section, in order to create a base to attach components to. There were a couple of formers that seemed unnecessary so I skipped them.

The crew compartment, heat shield, escape motor, and scaffolding are the biggest pieces on the sheet, leaving a lot of tiny pieces. I decided to do the retro-pack before the escape tower.

The window looks worse the closer you get to it, but I guess it's not horrible.
Attached Thumbnails
Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3916.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3917.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3919.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense
Old 05-01-2022, 02:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
You’re off to a great start!

I’ve often wondered if Leo plans a Saturn 1B or a Saturn V, or if he’ll try his hand at the Space Shuttle.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:12 PM

Thanks, I would esp. like to see his rendition of a Saturn 1B, and a Redstone for that matter.

While I am feeling more familiar with Leo's style, the small pieces really slow my progress. Not a lot to show for an afternoon and evenings work.
Attached Thumbnails
Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3921.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3923.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3924.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3925.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 05-04-2022, 09:48 AM

Ok. Finished the retro-pack as far as I could, the posi-grade nozzles were just too small for me. Started the escape tower.

The lattice was, well, delicate as expected. When I had it about 80% cut out I didn't think it was going to make it. But it did and I managed to glue it together. I wasn't terribly happy with how it was looking. Leo did draw a spare so I cut the spare out without removing any of the inside spaces. After comparing the two I decided that the full lattice looked better. Used some CA to stiffen and strengthen it and pressed on. Just need the spike on top and then mount the nozzles.

Leo made some optional parts that make the escape tower able to separate. I thought that was neat, so I went that route.
Attached Thumbnails
Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3926.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3927.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3930.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3932.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3933.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 05-04-2022, 12:30 PM

Finished with the capsule. On to the booster . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3934.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3936.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense
Old 05-07-2022, 08:17 AM

Again the trick is to find the/a starting point. The base and engines appeared to be it for me. Of course this section is busy, the part numbers here look like bees swarming a hive. Evan though the engines are pretty simple compared to the Gemini, the first section has enough details to make up for it.

The fit so far is really good. I did add a ring of paper to the inside of the base around the middle engine to add a little bit more of rigidity. I'm in awe Leo's work.
Attached Thumbnails
Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3938.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3940.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3941.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3942.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3943.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 05-09-2022, 02:28 PM

More progress, not much to say. Just two cylinders and a truncated cone, but Leo did manage to make them a tad difficult by putting a former smack in the middle of all three sections. I ended up making some cylinders of the right height and width and pushed the formers in like a piston, then applying glue with a small rod.
Attached Thumbnails
Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3945.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3946.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3947.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3949.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3950.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 05-09-2022, 04:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 3.29 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
You’re off to a great start!

I’ve often wondered if Leo plans a Saturn 1B or a Saturn V, or if he’ll try his hand at the Space Shuttle.
He has designed these as commercial kits...

Willem E.
(AKA Ponytail)
Old 05-11-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponytail View Post
He has designed these as commercial kits...
Do you know where they are available, or maybe any links?

Capsule adapter and capsule clamping ring(?) assembled, the ring was a little difficult but it does fit nicely over the capsule. Started on the body fairings.

I've never noticed before how asymmetrical the fairings on the Atlas were.
Attached Thumbnails
Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3956.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3957.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3958.jpg   Leo's Mercury-Atlas-img_3959.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 05-11-2022, 11:20 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Excellent job so far! Very clean….
Google Adsense