PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-24-2022, 09:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Card in Space Mercury-Redstone

As I mentioned in my Gemini thread, I started building a Mercury-Redstone. After having soaked my head in Leo's method, this one is a little more conventional, instruction-wise. It appears a fairly simple kit; starting off with the "Propulsion Section Body", but it has plenty of detail as far as I'm concerned.

Unfortunately I accidentally deleted the first few pictures of my build when I was clearing old build photos from my phone. So it's starting about midway of the Propulsion Section Body.
Attached Thumbnails
Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-img_3987.jpg   Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-img_3988.jpg   Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-img_3989.jpg   Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-img_3990.jpg   Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-img_3991.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense
Old 05-27-2022, 04:57 PM

Not sure how well this is going to work, I’m trying to make this post from my phone.

I finished the Propulsion Section Body, putting the little boxes between aerodynamic fins and the exhaust fins was tight and I had to “adjust” the base of the main fins. I’d also point out that the exhaust nozzle is just a hole where I would expect to see a cone representing the nozzle. By the time I realized that it was bugging me a little I was past the point of adding it. Secondly, on the base bulkhead there is an arrow presumably to index the base to the body. But there were no marks on the body that I could see, and no mentioning of alignment to the body section, or between any of the body sections for that matter, in the instructions. Nor any pictures depicting alignment.

Anyhow, moving on to the body sections, it’s pretty straight forward. There is the suggestion to split the main body into two pieces, because of the length, which I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-bf35542a-e45a-4832-a024-f768fe3d2740.jpg   Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-6558326c-ad64-4e00-95f2-d8c4099c69df.jpg   Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-9f51954c-454a-46f9-a3a1-092636051a0b.jpg   Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-3e4d675b-1ad1-4963-80d0-d9ba1f68e672.jpg   Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-5f5c097e-5911-41f9-b9cb-00851d76bf69.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 05-28-2022, 09:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Great progress! I remember when I built mine ages ago, I stuck a cone inside to replicate the nozzle of the A-7 motor.

So are you already scouting out a Saturn 1B to build?
Old 06-01-2022, 08:02 PM

It's good to be back home; my wife and I went to the Star Wars convention this last weekend, hence the update from my phone. (Nice to have freshly bathed dogs from the kennel too!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
Great progress! I remember when I built mine ages ago, I stuck a cone inside to replicate the nozzle of the A-7 motor.

So are you already scouting out a Saturn 1B to build?
Thanks again for the kind comment. Definitely have my eyes open for a 1B, and again, open to any suggestions. I did check out the link that The Mole left and I might order that one and see how it goes.

And just a couple progress pics. The red band clamp on the capsule went well for such a narrow separate piece, and it covered a slight misalignment with the capsule adapter ring. Hopefully I can build another lattice work for the LES . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-img_4004.jpg   Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-img_4005.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 06-03-2022, 08:47 PM

Well, it's almost wrapped up.

Dealt with some of the small bits, antenna and what I think are part of the capsule release mechanism (identified in the instructions as "Clamp Ring Cover Pulley Dampers").

Cutting out the lattice for the tower all right, but the folding and gluing something so thin and frail is always a challenge. I managed to get it without damage, but as it turns out it didn't quite fit the motor. I had to do a little tweaking to squeeze the lattice at the top. Once the nozzles were attached I don't think it's noticeable.

I'm left with just two items. Gluing the LES to the top, which I'm dreading I'll get crooked. And, making some sort of stand for display.
Attached Thumbnails
Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-img_4038.jpg   Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-img_4039.jpg   Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-img_4040.jpg   Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-img_4041.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense
Old 06-04-2022, 09:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 346.95 MB
Just a question of method, did you print on gloss or satin photo paper, or coat the printed sheets with something prior to building? I just experimented with gloss lacquer clear from aerosol can on sheets to great results myself.
Old 06-04-2022, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashedGlass View Post
Just a question of method, did you print on gloss or satin photo paper, or coat the printed sheets with something prior to building? I just experimented with gloss lacquer clear from aerosol can on sheets to great results myself.
I use plain card stock from the local Officemax. I've never used anything to seal my models. Although in the past I've used an inkjet to print models, I've used my wife's work laser printer for years now. I've not noticed any fading on the inkjet printed models, and pretty much no-one handles them.

Instead of making a stand I decided to just put some stubby little legs on the fins, just long enough to clear the carbon vanes.

I'm actually happy with the lattice on the LES, it turned out to be fairly straight without a lot of manipulation.

. . . and just a comparison shot with bigger brother.

Attached Thumbnails
Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-img_4042.jpg   Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-img_4043.jpg   Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-img_4044.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 06-04-2022, 02:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
I’d say it turned out very well. Great job!
Old 06-06-2022, 09:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Those rockets look great. The engine and thrust fins turned out terrific IMO.
Old 06-06-2022, 08:23 PM

Thanks guys, positive feedback is always appreciated!

I have decided that I want to do a Saturn 1B, but I haven't been able to find one that I'm happy with. Most I've seen are too small and I don't think they'd scale up well. When The Mole posted the link for Leo's models I think it was available, but at least of yesterday was listed as unavailable. I'm sure I've seen build threads here that were very nice but my search skills aren't very good.

So I'm asking for the forum's help again; does anyone have a recommendation?

I think everyone likes a picture, so . . . it's almost unreal that NASA went from Redstone to Saturn V in less than ten years.

Attached Thumbnails
Card in Space Mercury-Redstone-img_4046.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense