PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-18-2022, 09:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 747.08 MB
Uhu02's Lunar Module

Hello everyone!

While I was finishing up the Saturn 1B I decided the next model I would do would be Uhu02's LM. I've always been a little intimidated by Uhu's work, but with the experience I've had since I started building again, I thought I would try it. But rather than a blow by blow, I'd just post a short summary of the build.

From the outset I choose to stop at the skeleton, and maybe later do the skinned version separately (without messing with all the inside bits). As I began I had a little bit of a false start. I was printing it out at 95% so it would fit an 8.5 x 11, But as I got to assembling the second page parts it became obvious that I had some kind of printing error. Pieces were not fitting together. After re-printing I had a bit of fun crunching up the first try.

Finishing the interior I became acutely aware that Uhu sometimes has some *tight* tolerances. I read another's post here not too long ago where they referred to Uhu's model(s) as "fussy". I would agree with that. Most of the model works out fine if you cut 'on the line' but lots of places, like the interior need to have the line excised (and-then-some at certain places). If in doubt cut the line away.

I really liked how the various antenna came out. Finally, instructions show the drogue as being kind of dropped in the tunnel and held in place with friction, I put little 'u' clips inside to hold it properly.

Attached Thumbnails
Uhu02's Lunar Module-img_4147.jpg   Uhu02's Lunar Module-img_4149.jpg   Uhu02's Lunar Module-img_4161.jpg   Uhu02's Lunar Module-ozjz5392.jpg   Uhu02's Lunar Module-img_4180.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense
Old 10-18-2022, 02:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Nicely done. Your abilities are way beyond mine.
Old 10-18-2022, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
WOW! Your building skills, and Uhu's design skills, are AMAZING!
Best regards,
Kurt
Old 10-18-2022, 04:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Very nice work!
Old 10-18-2022, 06:51 PM

Thanks guys, your compliments mean a lot to me. I have to say though, a lot of the credit goes to Uhu's artwork. That said, I still have some more pics I'd like to share.

Beginning the descent stage. The way the cruciform goes together kind of reminds me of making a pin-wheel. Same as with the ascent stage, as it comes together it gets to be more and more delicate and harder to pick up. Each quarter has little porcupine-like quills sticking out, and you have to be very aware to not bend or break them (although when working on the third quadrant you end up clipping that one off). It's a shame almost all the work you put in to building the fuel and oxidizer tanks get covered up.

And the descent stage finished. It's very satisfying the way most the pieces align with each other, for instance the plume deflectors to the thrust quadrant.

Finished and mated to the ascent stage!

Attached Thumbnails
Uhu02's Lunar Module-img_4182.jpg   Uhu02's Lunar Module-img_4198.jpg   Uhu02's Lunar Module-img_4211.jpg   Uhu02's Lunar Module-img_4212.jpg   Uhu02's Lunar Module-img_4209.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Google Adsense
Old 10-18-2022, 07:11 PM

I don't think I've done this before but I felt like I just had to take some "beauty shots".

Btw, the moon globe in the middle is a MOVA Globe which can be seen in this sponsored episode of 'The History Guy' (Apollo 6: A Major Unplanned Accomplishment. - YouTube) .

Attached Thumbnails
Uhu02's Lunar Module-img_4218.jpg   Uhu02's Lunar Module-img_4220.jpg   Uhu02's Lunar Module-img_4227.jpg   Uhu02's Lunar Module-img_4230.jpg   Uhu02's Lunar Module-img_4235.jpg  

Isaac Asimov
Old 10-18-2022, 08:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.46 MB
Wow, that looks incredible. An amazing build sir.
Old 10-19-2022, 11:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 968.01 MB
Well executed sir!
Old 10-19-2022, 06:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.15 MB
That "clunk" sound you might have heard was my jaw hitting the floor... Incredible build! What an amazing model!
Kurt
Old 10-21-2022, 02:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 117.37 MB
Amazing! And super inspiring. I did about 25% of this model a year or so ago. I didn't really give up, more just stopped working on it one day and haven't gone back. I was pretty new to paper modeling then, so I'm hoping to start over one day when I'll hopefully be much ready to do it justice. Amazing model, and amazing job!
Google Adsense