PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 05-27-2023, 02:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 113.01 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
There are maybe only one or two more schemes I want to do in 1/48th, but I’ve said that before, then I got an itch to build another….
The whole idea of building the X-15 variations from specific missions is brilliant, captivating, and so interesting. Thank you for sharing! I can hardly wait to see what you do next!
Old 05-27-2023, 04:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petestein View Post
I'ver seen a very highly detailed X-15, if I am not mistaken, designed by K. West. Is this model available anywhere to purchase?
The basic X-15 model I use are various YukonJohn repaints (with some redesigning) of a model designed a few years back by Henry Yuen. Most of the repaints are in the download section. When I get them printed out at my local print shop, I get them enlarged to 1/48th.

A note on the Yuen/YukonJohn models that I’ve never really discussed in detail in here: The forward section of the fuselage is too long. In 1/48th scale, it’s about 1cm too long, which is not trivial. Unfortunately, part of the “overlength” is on the last conical piece that attaches to the fuselage cylinder. While you can cut down the cylinder (which I do) cutting off the rear of the cone is harder. I usually cut about 2mm off the rear, then I have to cut a section under what will be under the canopy piece and insert a disc to widen the conical piece to fit the fuselage cylinder. The hole will be covered by the canopy piece, which I also wind up shortening by about 2mm.

I’ve discussed it with YukonJohn and there’s not anything to be done design-wise. It would require some fairly extensive redesign work because you’re altering the contours of the nose.

Ken West’s X-15 (which is available at ecardmodels) doesn’t have these issues, but it represents the longer X-15A-2. It gets the curves and contours of the nose correct. Ken’s model is well-designed and is very accurate, with only an exception or two. My main beef with Ken’s model is he chose probably the most boring X-15A-2 livery. The vehicle looked more interesting when they tested various ablative materials and painted photo calibration stripes on the bottom, or when it was covered in ablative and white sealant for its speed-record flight.