PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 11-24-2023, 04:18 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
Delta 7 Studios Models

I was pretty bummed out to see the loss of Delta 7 Studios recently. Probably the first paper model I ever built was the freely available Mercury-Redstone from the site. Over the years I built some of the models and always marveled over the little details and strangely elegant construction. I noticed on one of the model sheets I printed recently that there was a copyright date of 2002. Back in the day, graphics weren’t as sharp or edited in a vector format for a lot of models like they are today, but these things were obviously a labor of love and look great when they’re done. The graphics being softer actually adds to the realism in my opinion. From normal viewing distance they take on a three dimensional appearance that other models have just never matched.

I decided I needed to get the whole experience of building all the models so I’m going to try to work my way through the whole library, or as much of it as I can. There’s lots of examples of Delta 7 model builds on this forum and others but I’m going to try to actually build everything Dan came up with.

I began construction with the Mercury capsule Freedom 7 but I jumped onto Gemini 5 and built that today. I’ll try to go back and work through the Mercury capsules in order and then on to Gemini but here’s a preview of my project. Gemini 5 with the rendezvous evaluation pod attached at the back. I added gold Mylar from a helium balloon for some added detail but this is otherwise built straight “out of the box”. There are a few minor details I’m going to add here and there but mostly this is going to be what you would have found as the designer intended over 20 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Delta 7 Studios Models-img_7832.jpg   Delta 7 Studios Models-img_7835.jpg   Delta 7 Studios Models-img_7836.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 11-24-2023, 09:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Nice Idea of the mylar balloon for heat shield. Good looking.
Enjoy,
Miles
Old 11-24-2023, 01:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Excellent work! Looks very sharp. Dan’s models are indeed really nice and are among the first I built, years ago. There was a time when he teased a whole Apollo series of models to go with his Mercury and Gemini models. Sadly, it never came to fruition.

His models are great built straight off the page, but they also make a great foundation for superdetailing, particularly on the nose and the rear. If I ever build another, I want to cut out and detail the RCS system ports. I usually shrink mine to 1/32nd and I even built a few at 1/48th.

I built this one a couple of decades (or so) ago….
Attached Thumbnails
Delta 7 Studios Models-img_6443.jpg   Delta 7 Studios Models-img_6444.jpg  

Last edited by dhanners; 11-24-2023 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-25-2023, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
I built this one a couple of decades (or so) ago….
I think your build was one of the ones I saw pictures of that got me started building the Delta 7 models actually. I always wanted to add more detail to them like yours.

As I go along I’m hoping to see what little parts I can improve upon here and there. A few years ago I built the Gemini with the full interior and opened up both doors. I’m hoping to do the splashdown version the same way when I get to it.

Despite the plethora of Apollo models out there I’d have loved to see his interpretation of it. I remember checking the site weekly for a while waiting for the update that never came… I’d even take the partially designed files and see what I could make of them today honestly!
Old 11-26-2023, 03:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.87 GB
Hi Joseph! How good to see you back here. And still building excellent models, I see.
Actually, Delta7 also was my introduction to paper modelling as well. The Gemini models are a joy to build, I think I have built half a dozen of them. I didn't know of them ending their business. That's sad.
Old 11-28-2023, 11:27 AM

Freedom 7

I started with the first spacecraft of the first series, Freedom 7. I really like the porthole version of the capsule and it’s a shame it’s the only one in the collection with them. The other real life capsules with portholes were all testing units.

I really wish these had interiors, even rudimentary ones. I’ve found the layouts of every Mercury’s instrument panel online and the only thing stopping me is all the stuff that goes BEHIND the panel, boxes and wiring and such.
Attached Thumbnails
Delta 7 Studios Models-img_7900.jpg   Delta 7 Studios Models-img_7901.jpg  
Old 11-30-2023, 06:34 AM

Liberty Bell 7

The second suborbital mission. I added some foil detail to the window part and some clear plastic from a CD envelope to simulate the outer window. I really need something thicker that won’t warp so easily when it’s glued down on the inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Delta 7 Studios Models-img_7915.jpg   Delta 7 Studios Models-img_7916.jpg   Delta 7 Studios Models-img_7917.jpg  
Old 11-30-2023, 01:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
Excellent work! You’re going to have quite a collection….
Old 12-03-2023, 01:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 5.34 GB
What has happened to Delta 7 models ? I have been trying to get the 1/200 orbiter but the site appears to be non functional....
Old 12-04-2023, 05:52 AM

Sigma 7

This is my first real foray into changing the kit parts and it’s extremely minor. Sigma 7 had experimental ablation materials attached to the cylindrical recovery compartment. While one source claimed the materials were bonded directly to the beryllium shingles, pictures of the capsule post-recovery show that the samples were panels attached to the normal structure. Delta 7 has the compartment painted to represent this but I took inspiration from a model I saw built of Sigma 7 on a Facebook group and drew out new panels. The rest of the build was exactly as normal. The window glass is now represented with a section of clear plastic disposable drinking cup which is sturdier and doesn’t flex.
Attached Thumbnails
Delta 7 Studios Models-img_7922.jpg   Delta 7 Studios Models-img_7942.jpg   Delta 7 Studios Models-img_7943.jpg  
Google Adsense