PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 10-06-2009, 05:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 122.42 MB
Send a message via AIM to Paragon Send a message via MSN to Paragon Send a message via Yahoo to Paragon
Very impressive indeed. I know I would certainly like the files you've created.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:16 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
File posted in the downloads. WARNING - it's a big file.

It represents the current state-of-play but I have not written detailed instructions for it (will eventually cull from this thread). I'll update the file as I find the rest of the problem areas.

Yogi

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 10-06-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Old 10-07-2009, 08:56 AM
Eternal Member

Rigging ship

Sized the rigging. Standing ends attach to the suspension ring with a round turn and two half-hitches. Working ends are looped through snap hooks and secured with a trucker's hitch. I'll trim and seize the ends after final installation.

The BIG ISS-pa070048.jpg
The BIG ISS-pa070049.jpg
The BIG ISS-pa070047.jpg
Not gonna fit in the truck! (note-temporary fittings to join the truss and spine, actual fitting is already buried inside the Z1 truss and central node)

Main solar arrays remain. They will be built around 3/16 inch dowels (4.7mm) slipped into 7/32 inch tubing (5.5mm) and crimped. The tubing will be inserted in hole through the main truss PVC support tube - but I'll hold off drilling until installation to ensure the arrays end up vertical if the tubes twist a little to take the load.

The BIG ISS-pa070050.jpg

Vertical PVC connections in the armature (Z1 truss to central node) are glued to hold the (minimal) weight and align the truss and spine. Other connections will be press fit. There are no loads to pull them apart with this geometry and I'll be able to disassemble the model if needed.

Add: put the armature pieces on a scale - under 10lbs for the PVC plus the paper parts puts the weight around 15lb (7kg).

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 10-07-2009 at 05:15 PM. Reason: grammar and spelling as usual
Old 10-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Eternal Member

Decisions, decisions ...

Just about done - main solar arrays and some incidentals like a bit more detail on the CANADARM manipulator. Next full picture will probably be taken during the installation. It's a bit of a chore to clear out the garage, reset the suspension lines to hold it higher off the floor, slide all the bits on the armature, then re-install the eyebolts - take picture - reverse to dis-assemble.

Meanwhile, need something to show how to get to the station. Not sure I want to tackle a 1:40 shuttle - though Office Despot might be able to just print off the FG/Delta 7 version on a 30 by 40 inch poster sheet (Hah!).

Instead:
The BIG ISS-pa080001.jpg

Need an enlargement of the European ATV and the Japanese HTV too. Working on it - keeping in mind the display will be viewed from a distance. I'll dock the Progress aft as normal, Soyuz (times 2) from the Russian modules, and Orion from the "front" node. Hang the rest from the armature at various places (HTV near Kibo, etc.).

The model configuration is current - any opinions on future modules to add? Thinking about maybe the next two years on the manifest (mostly little cans/life support modules I think.
Yogi
Old 10-09-2009, 06:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.84 MB
Solar Panels Done

Yogi, I've got the solar panels done, but not sure how to get them to you. Just add to the other uploads of the station?
Joe
Google Adsense
Old 10-09-2009, 01:40 PM
Eternal Member

Joe, thanks - I'll PM. Or, you can post the pages in the thread if they are less than 200kb each (pdf). I can take picture, pdf, or microserf office files; more esoteric formats are beyond me.

Yogi

Never mind - found them on the downloads ... they are breathtaking!

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 10-09-2009 at 01:44 PM. Reason: OBE
Old 10-09-2009, 06:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 43.01 MB
Yogi et al,

This is a seriously fun thread. Keep up the great work.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:55 AM
Eternal Member

A bit-o-help?

Quick question - anyone have the real ISS launch manifest? Near as I can tell, there's either one or two more Russian modules due (research module/Zarya and a lab module/Zvezda) with one more PIRS airlock/docking compartment and a mini-lab module due to go up through 2011. I can't make heads or tails of the logistics module schedule (similar to Columbus module) as these usually ride back down with the shuttle.

Intent is to put some off-color parts on for the future modules so the model will stay more or less current without having to be modified or redone for a while.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:04 PM
Eternal Member

Floppy Bits and Bottomless Inkwells

Finished up the last of the "mandatory" station parts today. Joe's solar panels look great. And a note for the other cheapskates (like me) out there - big parts with saturated colors will eat your printer cartridges. After some quick math I hied me-self down to the local Office Despot to let them print the solar panels (and restock on colored ink). The panels cost more than the entire rest of the station.

Building note - try using blue and yellow/orange/gold paper for the panels and print black and white outlines only (another option piece I need to put in the ISS files).

Had to do some redesigning (incorporated into the latest revision of the download file) of the solar panel construction to ensure they are light and stiff enough to last. Ended up printing the panel parts two sided on plain paper (courtesy Office Despot) to make them light and adding T-bars to the top and bottom to hold the panels in shape. The bars actually improve the fidelity - standing in for the cassettes that hold the rolled up solar panels when stowed.

Detail - top of panel with T-bar stiffener and rolled paper socket to extend dowel that supports the panel. White space on support truss where the separate pages overlap will be hand colored to restore the graphics.
The BIG ISS-pa120005.jpg

Bottom of panel, support dowel passes through hole and into tubing that will be inserted into truss armature
The BIG ISS-pa120006.jpg

T-bars; just rectangles of card the width of the panel with a 1/2 inch top plate, folded back 1/4 inch return, and 1/4 inch vertical plate to attach to panel
The BIG ISS-pa110003.jpg

Completed photo-voltaic array: Joe's repaint looks great. The single sheet arrays do not allow me to hide the support dowel, but it won't be obvious hanging in the air with the blue sides facing the viewer.
The BIG ISS-pa120009.jpg

I'll be down at the planetarium rigging it on Friday - may even install it then, or next week. Installation will be a little awkward since the modules need to slide onto the armature before the eyebolts are installed, but doable. Modules will be secured with dabs of glue or small glued tabs. The truss parts will be solidly glued together to resist the torque of the radiators suspended horizontally from it. The metal tubes holding the solar arrays will also be used to pin the truss in place and prevent it from twisting from the weight of the radiators.

Back to fiddly bits and odds and ends I guess.

Yogi
Old 10-13-2009, 10:29 AM

Total Downloaded: 50.69 MB
Anxiously awaiting pics of the final product hung up in all it's glory...
Last Build - 1:48 F1 Engine
Current Build - Mammoth Tank (Scale unknown)
Next Build - P-3 Orion (VQ-1 livery)
Google Adsense