PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > PASA, Paper Aeronautical and Space Administration

Old 01-13-2010, 06:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Whoa....stunning work, Keep 'em coming, Peter!!

Kirk
Old 01-13-2010, 07:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
I'd say you captured the busy look of a Titan's business end. Great job!
Old 01-14-2010, 06:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 MB
Thank you very much gents! Fortunately I have some good drawings and pictures for reference: The drawings from Ninfinger (page 1) and Mark Petersen's photos (page 3).
On top of that I have found these sites useful:
Titan II
Historic Spacecraft - Photos of Titan Rockets and Missiles

However there is one thing that I have been unable to find any good pictures of. The silver thing on the picture below. It seems to be used on the Gemini Titan Rocket only, and not the Titan Missile. Any ideas about what it can be?

Now back to rolling more tubes. Those fuel lines doesn't roll themselves - unfortunately.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:10 PM

I'd say that's a question to pose to the multitude of experts over at the Yahoo space-modeling discussion group; I'm guessing someone there would know. If you're not a member, you should be.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
One possibility at Mitigating Pogo on Liquid-Fueled Rockets - article about an accumulator installed in the feedlines to reduce pogo oscillations under thrust. Just a guess at this point ... but it was a new add to Titan for the Gemini launches. Location doesn't quite fit though - looks almost like an add-on for comms or range safety.

Yogi
Google Adsense
Old 01-16-2010, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 MB
Thank you both of you for helping out in the “mystery of the silver thing”. I joined the Yahoo space-modelers discussion group today, did a search in the forum, and found the answer! One member writes: “…these were air scoops that created a "curtain" of air to try and keep the aft bulkhead protected from thrust flame backflow.”
I also found a website from this guy who is in the process of building a Gemini Titan – although not in paper - he show how he is doing these scoops:
GeminiTitan Btw check out his Saturn V on the main page!

Browsing around pictures on the web I have to correct myself: The scoops were mounted on the Titan ICBM as well.

Yogi that is an interesting article you linked to there! I didn’t know much about the pogo phenomena before. And I thought it was something that affected the Saturn V only, not the Titan II. A bit of physics mixed with history – can’t get any better!

Made the inner fuel lines today. I use rolled tubes just like for the engine framework – normal printing paper rolled tight and with many layers. Cutting is fairly easy. The tube flattens a bit where I cut, but regains it shape when rolling between two fingers. There may be a nicer and cleaner way to do bends in paper, but this works for me. I had a good supply of tubes before starting today but had some issues along the way so nearly spend it all! Back to rolling….
Attached Thumbnails
-88.jpg   -89.jpg  
Old 01-16-2010, 03:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
It looks awesome again! the best is how look the nozzles, that's only great!
I hope the finished model will be as awesome as your fotos.
Old 01-16-2010, 06:17 PM

The work continues to look stunning.

One method I've used for making curved tubes is to roll the paper much as you did, except use thinner laminations. I mark where it's going to bend and cut a small <> shape out of the inside of the bend. Then I insert a pipe cleaner and use it as support for bending the piece so the paper doesn't collapse. Once the piece is bent and glued, I use a wire cutter to cut the pipe cleaner flush with the ends of the paper. It sometimes requires a little filing with a file to get the metal wire completely flush.