PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > General Information and News > Picture of the Month

Old 07-10-2021, 06:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 720.98 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
Well,

We have gone from a POTW to a POTM, and we have asked for volunteers to help out posting pictures, or asking what should be next, yet for the more recent past, we have not gotten any assistance(the request never closed)

So, if you think you could handle the weekly(or monthly) grind of posting a picture, let us Admins know, and we will get you set up to post images.

Rick
Rick was it difficult to get people to send in enough pics to make POTM?

Thought it might be a case of spotting something suitable posted in the threads and just getting the ok from the person?

What sort of problems do you get?

Regards,
Alan
Old 07-10-2021, 07:04 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
No one sent anything in, they might send a pm to suggest a build thread or model, but most of the time the people running the POTW would just go through the various threads and pick a picture to showcase.

Most of the time, if not all of the time, we would just post a picture of a build we like, and surprise the builder with their picture front and center on the forum.

There have been weeks where we had multiple entries, and had to queue them up, and then work through it.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-10-2021, 08:08 PM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positive_Rate View Post
Rick was it difficult to get people to send in enough pics to make POTM?

Thought it might be a case of spotting something suitable posted in the threads and just getting the ok from the person?

What sort of problems do you get?

Regards,
Alan
The biggest issue, is we are all volunteers. We have normal lives and families.
Anyone is welcome to volunteer to do this part. We can set you up to
add the photos, etc.

There just are not enough of us to do this each week, every week.

Or month.

Feel free to take on the task.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 07-11-2021, 08:24 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Rick and Ray,
I have a suggestion:
Perhaps you could create a thread called “Volunteer Needed”, and use it to describe the nature of the work needed for the “Picture Of The Month”. I think there are many here including myself that do not know what would be involved in the job. Also, based on some of the responses I have seen, there are many who are not aware that you are looking for help.
(Unless you already created one and I did not see it)
Mike
Old 07-11-2021, 12:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
While there has been no dedicated/direct "POTM Help Needed" thread, this has come up at least three times I know of in the past couple of years.

Same scenario each time: Someone complains about the POTM (or POTW as it used to be) picture not changing, then fades into the background. Others chime in with various "yeah, why isn't it changed" comments, then fade into the background as well.

EVERY TIME, the admins respond in the thread where the comment is brought up with a kind request for volunteers for this task (as above in *this* thread), and... crickets.

Plenty of critics, but no helpers, no offers from anyone to take on the task of updating the photo.
Old 07-11-2021, 07:48 PM

Rick,
What about Michaels idea?
If there's no takers - then - I'll step up to the post. I am already wondering how I will manage my own biases - ie - I only do ships and toy models with my 5 daughters!
I am willing to give it a go - but can you coach me a bit about do's and don'ts?
I have a full time job too, and kids and a better half, but I'll certainly try.
Doubtless the admins know the pitfalls - you can't please all of the people all of the time etc etc, but for now my limited view of paper modelling says get 52 pics from accross the spectrum - post 'em.
If you are looking for absolutely museum grade examples I'm sure they are few and far??
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-11-2021, 09:06 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Alan,

I will keep you in mind if or when we need new people.
Michael has offered to do the POTM, and when Jason comes back from a vacation with his kids, he will help Michael get situated for the task.

I, personally, am not looking for that museum grade example, most of us will never get there, and might even discourage others. I want to see everything that we as paper model builders do, aircraft, cars, food, animals, robots and sci-fi, the whole gamut.
I also want to see a cool up close picture of a ongoing build, like the picture of I took of one of the wheels of the Unimog I built last year.

I try to stretch my skills by building something that I haven't yet, be it an aircraft or a ship, this one of the ways I overcome my bias of vehicles, any and all skill will help at some point in a build.
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-11-2021, 09:18 PM

Sounds great Rick. Good point about discouraging others. Doubtless a job such as this would broaden ones horizon overcoming bias.
Here's hoping POTM is POTM!
Alan