PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 11-01-2014, 08:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Part II

continuing the tale
Attached Thumbnails
0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-ner-18.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-ner-21.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-ner-23.jpg  
Old 11-02-2014, 07:31 PM

Is there an Elephant in the room?

No, but his railway truck is
As promised, some 'live' action from the workbench. Made really good progress with this today, so here for your enjoyment is the N.E. Railways' utterly barking mad Elephant Truck
The wheelbox is a simple one-piece affair, with the axles held in with little open boxes that push fit between the frames; the solebar and buffer beam part is, again, one piece of card and the body is just three bits including the roof. The steps are made from a single piece of card - it makes for a stronger unit, although it's more like Origami than anything, folding them up....
You'll notice the lack of brakes once more; not too helpful for the Elephant! I wonder if he packs a trunk when traveling? (sorry!)
Plumdragon
Attached Thumbnails
0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-t-7.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-t-6.jpg  
Old 11-03-2014, 12:20 AM

Working paper model railroading! Excellent!
Old 11-03-2014, 03:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
I only just came across this thread - interesting, to see a detailed design report!
There is a good paper elephant (from the Jules Verne stories) in an ABC publication. With some adaptations probably suitable for your plan? 12,5 cms high, not counting the structure on its back. Contact me if you are interested.

P.S. I am adding your models and the link to this thread to my Photo Collection on https://www.flickr.com/photos/zeist_bouwplaten/

Anyone who would like to contribute his or her pictures, please contact me! [email protected]
Attached Thumbnails
0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-dsc_7899.jpg  
Old 11-03-2014, 09:59 AM

Diderick, thank you for the offer of the Elephant! And my thanks for sharing the pictures :-)
Art Deco, I'm pleased that you appreciate the working aspect. Non-paper 0 Gauge is an expensive hobby; this way I get to play trains at minimal cost and comparatively little labour! (Once tried to build a brass loco....) It was a gift of some old Lionel track that my good friend in the States sent over that got me thinking about getting the locomotives working. And I have two clockwork motors arriving through the post very shortly, so there may be another locomotive on the way....
Plumdragon
Google Adsense
Old 11-03-2014, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 125.32 MB
Plumdragon, I'm very interested in the development of these railway items. They remind me a lot of the Hornby O gauge which I've been collecting for several years.
Very, very nice!

Bob
Old 11-03-2014, 06:58 PM

Thank you very much, OgdenBob :-) I'm pleased that you see the affinity; as said earlier, I try to capture something of the look of old the old litho, as well as being inspired by modern companies such as Darstaed, whose litho work is almost photo-realism! With my first design being done for my American friend, to sit on his Lionel railroad, the scale was set at 1/48, and naturally the chassis have to be made to allow for really sharp curves and usually a bit of track warping as well! But it's just such enormous fun to make something that trundles down a track, so I'm very pleased that you've found something of interest here :-)
Plumdragon
Old 11-04-2014, 05:37 PM

More wagon works....

A brief update, as I'm progressing with the open wagon of the G.E.R. (not G.C.R. as mentioned earlier!) so thought you might like to see the work to date. Decided to colour it black, which is actually very dark grey because black is way too solid a colour for models, I think.
The shading and highlighting are done, and stand out well against the black when printed, and the lettering was very much created from scratch to match the original.
Anyway, I intend to show you how one of these is put together, by featuring this truck in a build thread to show all the nitty-gritty details and possibly bore you rigid as well :-)
Plumdragon
Attached Thumbnails
0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-t-8.jpg  
Old 11-04-2014, 05:54 PM

Please show us your earlier model of the Hiawatha streamliner! Did that one also have a clockwork engine?
Old 11-06-2014, 04:34 PM

One Hiawatha, and more....

For your entertainment, then, Art Deco, my 0 Gauge "Hiawatha" Atlantic locomotive. Designed to negotiate those 27" radius curves, and at nearly 600mm long (true scale length) it's a bit of a beast. It does indeed have a clockwork motor to power it, although with all the weight it can barely get 6 feet down the line Amazing how heavy a card model can be!
The parlour car is part of the consist, and is so long it would never get round any bend, except maybe 1:1 scale, but I couldn't resist having a go at making one.
Finally, another model for my friend in the States, which might interest you, an 0 Gauge Alco PA1 diesel. I love this machine, so evocative.... This is one of my favourite designs, but proved too much of a challenge to motorize, more's the pity. Hope you enjoy these pictures
Plumdragon
Attached Thumbnails
0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-bigh-fb-1.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-hiawatha-2.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-coach-3.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-alco-24.jpg  
Google Adsense