PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 11-06-2014, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
A little design note....

Back to the small fry now, friends Not too sure if it'll be apparent from this pic, but here I hope to show how a little sleight-of-hand can add something to a model.
Top left, is the 'usual' outline/colour rendition of a part, and serves well enough, but I wanted to push things a little. So, on the colour layer of the worksheet, we begin by defining different elements of the part with shades of the base colour, as seen top right, and my logic is 'the nearer the bit, the lighter it is (which defies all logic, truthfully!)
Then we add two more layers; one for highlights and one for shadows. These are drawn respectively white and black, and the aim (literally) of the sun is from top left, always. So highlights on the top & left of things, shadows bottom & right. Having these elements on their own layers means that 'density' can be altered for colour - but usually it's about 50% opacity.
At the bottom, it all comes together to hopefully fool the eye into believing there's more depth here than a single thickness of paper.
Plumdragon
Attached Thumbnails
0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-t-9.jpg  
Old 11-07-2014, 01:22 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Very good sir. Thank you for the mini-tutorial!
Old 11-07-2014, 03:01 AM

Your Hiawatha is terrific! Such a beautiful subject (streamliners!).

Very nice design work. Looks really well constructed, very clean work, hard to see any seams at all! Everything smooth and straight, nice work on those curved surfaces and corners. And once again, to top it off ... it's a motorized, working paper model! Bravo!

Those are some fairly large models - especially the parlor car. The long sides and top are so even, did you use some internal framework to support it?

The diesel is also a fine model, again, very cleanly constructed. Great graphics work, I especially like the detailed trucks. Your use of highlights and shadows adds a lot of depth.

Thank you for posting the photos, I really enjoyed them!
Old 11-07-2014, 12:31 PM

One Hiawatha, again....

Thank you for the kind compliments, Art Deco
The models do indeed have internal framing as part of the design, which I hope the pictures will show. It's very very strong, and totally over-engineered! (have pared things down a little since....)
Enjoy the pictures
Plumdragon
Attached Thumbnails
0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-h-1.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-h-3.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-h-2.jpg  
Old 11-08-2014, 09:06 AM

Wow, that's some serious internal framework, looks very robust. Your models nicely reflect their subjects in being a marriage of art and engineering. Very cool! Thanks for the additional photos!
Google Adsense
Old 11-08-2014, 04:17 PM

You're welcome :-)
In this design, it's really the frame defines the shape; the colour parts are more akin to a 'wrap' that skins the framework. The little N.E.R tank loco, being vastly smaller, naturally uses a lot more of the colour parts as the structure. Horses for courses, I guess! Glad you're enjoying the show :-)
Plumdragon
Old 11-08-2014, 04:26 PM

Scotched on the Blocks....

Well, I had an idea my clockwork motor would not fit in a possible new locomotive model (which would have been the LBSCR's little A1 0-6-0T.) and the drawings in Photoshop prove it....
I am tempted to go ahead with this model anyway - it would be my first six-coupled engine, but above that, it can be coloured in some quite delightful company liveries. And I might know where I can get my hands on some truly tiny clockwork motors....
Plumdragon
Attached Thumbnails
0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-c-1.jpg  
Old 11-08-2014, 04:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
All very good stuff. I really love the Hiawatha.

Don
Old 11-08-2014, 05:02 PM

GER Open Wagon Build (I)

Hello friends
As promised (or threatened!) a thread showing the building up of this wagon. This will no doubt be full of things already familiar to you, but I hope it will also show something of the design philosophy (if such it can be called!)
I won't run through every picture here, but a word or two about the first one, which shows you just about all I use to build everything I do. All familiar stuff, though the rat-tail file is great for boring holes and rolling small parts. The glue is Pritt; again, apart from a dab of wood glue occasionally, this fixes everything together.
Down the years I have collected innumerable tools and gadgets for paper model building, and it's always these that permanently reside on the bench
That knife is nearly 40 years old, now....
Plumdragon
Attached Thumbnails
0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-w-1.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-w-2.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-w-3.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-w-5.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-w-6.jpg  

Old 11-08-2014, 05:12 PM

GER Open Wagon Build (II)

The next installment The Gauge Setter was one of those 'light-bulb' moments - so simple, but effective. The trick was to crimp it to the 'star' shape to keep the wheel backs nice and true. I have two Gauge Setters, one for my 'coarse scale' Lionel track (for which all my stock is built) and one set for 32mm.
In a little while, we shall start work on the body of the wagon
Plumdragon
Attached Thumbnails
0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-w-7.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-w-8.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-w-9.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-w-10.jpg   0 Gauge in Paper & a Build Thread-w-11.jpg  

Google Adsense