PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 11-15-2016, 04:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
Thanks for the link Diderick
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Old 11-20-2016, 03:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Building the first part of the chassis

Hi everyone,

Back again with a short update. At this point of the build, it's time to start working on the chassis. Nothing difficult and quite straight forward. What you see here are the assembled ChA parts according to the building instructions, and for reasons of stability of the model (and also because smaller chassis parts to be installed from this point), next will be the main body of the locomotive. That'll be exiting because then the model really starts to take shape. In any case you can already make out the beautifully streamlined shape of the locomotive.

A few remarks:
  • The building instructions indicate that the laminated chassis parts 27 and 28 should not be thicker than 1mm. However, the laser cut formers for these parts are already more than 1mm thick and the total laminated thickness of each part gets close to 2mm. Not a problem but all the inside parts, like 29, 30, 31 and 32 need subsequently to be trimmed in order to fit properly.
  • As the erratum list indicates: The slots for the driving wheels need to be cut following the outlines in part 26a (bottom side). As you can see in the second last picture (top side part 26) you run into trouble if you were to cut from the top side.
I have not painted the edges of the chassis yet, that will be done once the chassis work has continued (after the body).

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4102.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4103.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4104.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4105.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4106.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4107.jpg  
Old 11-20-2016, 04:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
good job on the chissis.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Building the body

Thanks David - I wonder how your Sherman is getting on....

Next is the main body of the train. It consists of several segments, just like an aircraft fuselage. The tricky part is the small curvature at the bottom of each segment. First I built up the entire body and finally glued in the formers. To make the body stronger, and also to minimize risk of dents when pressing too hard on the formers, I laminated the body inside with 200 grams paper (after placing the formers).

The front part is the hardest part: Concave and convex shapes and a bit complicated to glue. The inside joining strips need to be cut in, in order to follow the round shapes properly. Around the location of the stack I made a few small cuts in the body. The upper part of the boiler front (part 9) had a minor fitting issue and I still have to fill the narrow gap with construction glue, which I usually apply as filler. First the stack though, as the overlap between stack and body might already solve the issue, but that will be for the next time.

Up so far I have been alternately using bison/velpon/UHU type of glue and white glue but for the body I have been using tacky glue, which looks like to combine the best of both other types. I'm quite enthusiastic about it. Dries fast, no bubbly surfaces and leaves no stains when quickly removed with a wet finger.

The pictures have been taken randomly, and the body is not finished yet. Also the bottom curvatures at each of the sections still have to be aligned properly.

All in all a lot of work this weekend and as my wife was away for a course, son #1 learning for upcoming school tests and son #2 gone for a birthday party, the greater part of the Saturday was prime time for undisturbed modeling...

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4113.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4114.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4115.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4116.jpg   A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4117.jpg  

A4 Pacific Sir Nigel Gresley, O-scale-img_4118.jpg  
Old 11-28-2016, 07:50 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I’m more used to see those complex curves on aircraft subjects, Erik

Looking good!
Google Adsense
Old 11-28-2016, 11:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 320.85 MB
Looking good

Nothing like a quiet weekend for card modelling.

Very lucky getting one of those this close to Christmas

Tim
Old 11-28-2016, 11:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Nice smooth work, Eric!

Don
Old 11-28-2016, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Good work on the body of the loco. haveing a brake from the sherman but will start up soon weekend afer next.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 69.70 MB
Well, I'm a bit confused by the lack of stringer (longeron) in the skeletal construction of body. This fact may cause wrap and distortion :|
Proud member of: Bielska Strefa Modelarska
Old 12-01-2016, 03:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 164.37 MB
The curves! That is exactly what makes this engine so fascinating. Just like the fuselage / body of a plane gradually taking shape...
The longeron: designer Cor and I discussed this, but he decided that would make exact positioning of the formers more difficult. Formers and skin parts are marked the same way as in plane models, which makes distortion very unlikely.
Google Adsense

Tags
a4 pacific, papertrade, sir nigel gresley