PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 04-12-2021, 11:50 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Owen - the Oregon Pony - great purchase. This is a splendid model and I am certain you will enjoy it. Lots of detail too.

(Don't forget Fred's build thread here... The Oregon Pony (a build thread)).

-------------------------------

I still have a Millimodel I am currently busy with - I am enjoying it and started a build thread (L & Y Goods Train - Millimodels.) but other things and then COVID arrived and I just battle now to get the time to actually model.

I hauled it out over the weekend and need to get back into it (I have not abandoned it Robin!!). I was really on a roll when I was doing it, and wish I had been able to carry on - I now have to remember what touch-up paints and techniques I was using. At least in the meantime, the Preiser Mini figures I wanted have arrived - the scale is slightly different but given "perspective" effects I can work around this.

I have also modified one of the Micromodel lineside buildings that I intend to use as part of a diorama.
Old 04-13-2021, 03:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.66 MB
Kevin - The Prieser figures won't be so far out as you might think.
Following the effects of the cotton famine and hard working conditions the average Lancashire person was underweight and of reduced height. The authorities had to alter the physical requirements for recruits in WW1 as there just weren't enough people of normal stature.
Even in the 1980s I was surprised at the height difference in Lancashire compared to Somerset.
It's surprising how much social history you learn when you start researching something supposedly completely unrelated. You also might want to think about how they would be dressed, nearly everyone would have a head covering, a flat hat for common workers, bowlers for middle management and shawls for the ladies. Have a look at the Mitchell & Kenyon films if you can find them, a rediscovered archive of Blackburn films from around the time of the model.

Robin
Old 04-17-2021, 01:42 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Thank you Robin for your interesting comments.

I never thought of the figures in the light of being stunted. They are 1/220 anyway, so yes any difference compared to 1/200 (given population variation) is not worth worrying about.

And thank you for the dress comments. I confess (hanging my head) it had not crossed my mind! At 1/220 scale flat hats and shawls can be done with judicious use of a polygravure (which I have) and a scalpel.

Not certain about the bowlers though. I think I maybe will leave middle management inside - by a railway fire with their tea, hotpot and butter pies!
Old 12-01-2023, 04:07 PM

I am nearly at the stage of releasing my next Milimodel, an SECR C class and goods train. The test build looks OK and I am doing some final adjustments but I think it will be in the New Year before I put in on eBay as there are so many other things going on and I do not want to have to delay sending out purchases.

Robin
Old 01-03-2024, 10:30 AM

OK, all 9 Millimodels are back on eBay including the new SE&CR goods train.

I've started on the next set but it will be a while yet!

Robin Madge
Attached Thumbnails
Millimodels-20231122_180925.jpg  
Google Adsense