PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 01-01-2020, 11:47 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Hopefully not too expensive. Struggling with a severely declining exchange rate here.
Old 01-01-2020, 12:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Kevin, pricing is well beyond me, you see, I draw these models for Marji, what she does with them is her prerogative, however, I will tell her to keep pricing in mind, that's also in part determined by ecards who has a better understanding of the digital market.

This was designed with the interest of four local museums in mind that would have an interest in retailing a packaged hard copy but digital distribution will be through ecards and Chris.
Old 01-01-2020, 01:20 PM
Eternal Member

Thank you!

That was just actually a comment from my individual side - obviously, market-related prices for the USA and Europe is what needs to be looked at and what is done at your end.

--------------------------

You see what happens overseas, especially in the 3rd world, is that there is a different value level. So here, for example, salaries are far lower than in the USA. So are house prices and the prices of goods. What this means though, is coupled with very volatile exchange rates, people buying from this side are on a beating to hell when dealing with say US values.

USD 25.00 say represents one-sixth of the minimum wage here, or just over a half of our monthly electricity bill. A meal for 3 at a reasonable restaurant or 40 x 2-litre cokes on special.

In the UK 1/7th of a pensioners average weekly pension.

----------------------------------

So that's the reality for some people - we all live with it and that's how life goes. But it does mean we have to exercise more care than most when it comes to models, as well as with priorities. I have been wanting a paper model that is a 28 dollar download - but it remains on the cards for the moment!

What it does do is make you appreciate things so much more when you do get them!

-------------------------

Interestingly enough some global sales outlets do recognise this. For example, some major game and software vendors have completely different pricing for different countries, and we are priced for example priced in far lower rates and in fixed rand prices. But potential market size obviously drives this approach!
Old 01-01-2020, 02:08 PM

Wow Kevin, that is really interesting, you see, I'm new to this digital download market, my primary market is in selling the packaged hard copies through various retail outlets, this is really an, "eye-opener" for me, I don't know but I would assume that this model would be in the $15.00 USD price range if not lower, I'll discuss this with Marji, I'm sure she will be enlightened as well as to the global market place, thanks for the explanation...
Old 01-01-2020, 02:15 PM

Manifold

Before I can do the cylinder feed and exhaust, I first had to build the manifold and man is it tiny!, having a total of 12 parts it is only 5/8 inch (15.875 mm) tall and 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) at the widest point, it fits attached to both the boiler and expansion tank between that and the stack, the lateral flanges are to accommodate the cylinder piping.

Here are a few images showing it and in it's place, now I can do all of the cylinder piping, a lot of 2mm tubes.
Attached Thumbnails
The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-img_1732.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-img_1745.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-img_1759.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-img_1767.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-img_1770.jpg  

Old 01-02-2020, 04:18 AM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRD View Post
Wow Kevin, that is really interesting, you see, I'm new to this digital download market, my primary market is in selling the packaged hard copies through various retail outlets, this is really an, "eye-opener" for me, I don't know but I would assume that this model would be in the $15.00 USD price range if not lower, I'll discuss this with Marji, I'm sure she will be enlightened as well as to the global market place, thanks for the explanation...
Except just bear in mind where I am talking about will only be pitiful sales and there is only a tiny market there. So your pricing should reflect the US market rates - your US profit will then outweigh any small market loss in the odd places.

-------------------------------

Back to the model - it always amazes me how the small detail makes the model suddenly start really coming alive.

That detail is always worth it - already starting to look great!
Old 01-02-2020, 06:28 AM

Kevin, that is an example of some of the, "bugs" that I'm working out, for example, the expansion tank flange was a little too low and the pipe to it a little too short, I have since made those corrections...

Last edited by FRD; 01-02-2020 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:13 AM
Eternal Member

Ah well, you are doing a good job of it. And I am amazed at your build speed! Especially at this time of year.

You could start a range of logging locos? I can't think of two many logging loco models...

Or bunk/log wagons.

Or a stationary logging donkey engine? The railway modellers would welcome that as well! OO scale?

I am thinking of one of these types of engine on the skids...
Attached Thumbnails
The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-images.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-images-2-.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-images-3-.jpg   The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-images-1-.jpg  
Old 01-02-2020, 07:18 AM
Eternal Member

Came across this photo of a model of the Oregon Pony - without the canopy.

Interesting appearance!

It is the same loco?

Attached Thumbnails
The Oregon Pony  (a build thread)-3688177125_8e196b6520_b.jpg  
Old 01-02-2020, 07:22 AM

Excellent idea Kevin, as a matter of fact, this is the first of a proposed series of models exploring the history of the Columbia Gorge and the Oregon territory, steam "donkeys" were widely used in the early logging history, I'll definitely look into it..