PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 05-18-2020, 07:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 912.66 MB
Erik,

I'll say it again. It's an amazing amount of detail, and you're doing a fantastic job. The trucks look magnificent.

Gary

Design Group Alpha
https://ecardmodels.com/vendors/design-group-alpha
Old 05-24-2020, 09:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.67 MB
Side step to the interior

Thank you Glenn and Gary.

That's a valid remark Glenn regarding the disc brake details. The discussion with the designer regarding the brake system only started when I was well underway with building the trucks and although the design has been altered now, I still have to correct the top and bottom view. In the final design these details have been removed and others added to the reflect the clasp-style brakes as you call them. I still have to add those details as well.

Just a short getaway from finalizing the trucks and I started with the interior. The interior consists of two segments, a seating section and a sleeping section, consisting of small bedrooms with cabinets for as I presume, washing basins, storage and perhaps a bathroom. Otherwise, the bathrooms are located further down the corridor.

I started with the seating compartment. Lots of wall segments to be doubled, and in fact I tripled them, which suits the outlines of where they have to be placed more accurate. As these elements will also act as formers, providing structural strength, this is I think not a luxury.

The compartment of each passenger is equipped with a small table and a seat, which will be installed later. A few more details will be added as well.

Two compartments puzzle me. In the model they apparently do not have a function as there is no door printed on the wall, but they are equipped with a small window (that would disqualify them as bathrooms!).

I decided to let my imagination take over and am building one of the compartments as a luggage hold and the other one may well become a small room for a train attendant, with a table, a chair and a small cabinet on the wall.

Anyway, it's all work in progress and to give you an impression of the size of the eventual model, I put both sections of the sleeper next to each other. Overall size will be something like 55cm (21.5 inches), not particularly small.

That's it for now,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1887.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1888.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1889.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1890.jpg  
Old 05-24-2020, 12:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Zwaan View Post
Two compartments puzzle me. In the model they apparently do not have a function as there is no door printed on the wall, but they are equipped with a small window (that would disqualify them as bathrooms!).
Actually, they may be the bathrooms. Those windows were usually translucent, allowing light but not a view into the interior.

If you can point out the windows/compartments in question, perhaps I can help.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:07 PM

Erik, would it be possible to send me a screenshot of the sides of the model as they have been designed?

I'm beginning to suspect you have a hybridized model. This may be partially my fault, as I surmised from the photos posted in the F& thread you were going from one set of drawings. but now it appears you might be going with another.

The good news is that a simple change of the artwork for the exterior corrugations is probably all you need.

I believe you have my email.
Old 05-24-2020, 12:14 PM

Or maybe not... The window count/arrangement looks correct.
Old 05-24-2020, 03:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 558.93 MB
Here's a diagram of the car (inside and underbody), showing what all of the compartments are. The pages are taken from Amtrak's Equipment Data Manual from the late 1970's. Definitions of the abbreviations on the diagram are as follows:

Interior equipment:
BDR - Bedroom
ELE - Electric Locker
FHT - Floor Heat Thermostat
FHV - Floor Heat Valve
HB - Hand Brake
LK - Locker
OHU - Overhead Heat Unit
RMT - Roomette
SWB - Electric Switchboard
WC - Water Cooler

Underfloor equipment:
ALT - Alternator
APWS - Air Pressure Water System
CR - Charging Receptacle
D - Brake Control Valve
GEN - Generator
RV - Relay Valve
S.E. D.V. - Steam Ejector Dump Valve

The room opposite the bathroom would have been a compartment for the sleeping car attendant (porter) to work.

Note that this is from later in the car's life, when the trucks you've built had been replaced with outside swing hanger disc brake versions, but the interior arrangement would have stayed the same.

Joshua
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-pine-grove-diagram-1.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-pine-grove-diagram-2.jpg  

Last edited by jamoldover; 05-24-2020 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Replaced images with larger versions
Old 06-01-2020, 09:46 AM

Interior - continued

Thanks guys for the additional and very useful information, and I decided to make a few changes to the mystery compartments. The one that I built to a luggage hold actually consisted of two compartments: A bathroom and a room for electrical panels (switchboards). So I changed this and added signs on the doors. Probably not what it used to be like but it gives an impression.

The bathroom was equipped with a window and I used one of the blinds (included as a feature for each of the compartments) and put it in closed position - for obvious reasons .

The other opposing area was reserved for the sleeper's attendant so I put one of the seats there, together with a small desk and cabinet.

Now I'm working my way through the 10 seats of this section, a painstaking job. Progress is slow, thanks to real life....

Cheers,
Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1892.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1893.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1894.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1898.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1899.jpg  

Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1900.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1901.jpg  
Old 06-07-2020, 04:37 AM

Interior - continued

The seats have many rounded edges, and assembly takes quite a bit of effort. It took me a few seats before I figured the easiest (and fastest) way of gluing the parts together. Thereto, I cut away the small gluing tabs at the rounded edges, they make assembly more difficult than necessary. The trick is to work as symmetrical as possible. The rest of the story is told via the pictures. The arm rests are small parts and while looking at the finished seats I imagine they must have been very comfortable for long cross-country journeys.

This section of the sleeper consists of 10 seats, plus the one that I added in the cabin attendant's compartment, so altogether 11. One side is ready now and on to the next row of five.

I've also glued the windows on one of the sides and reinforced the outside wall with pieces of 160 grams paper.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1911.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1912.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1913.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1914.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1915.jpg  

Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_1918.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e1919.jpg   Santa Fe Sleeper Pine Grove-img_e1920.jpg  
Old 06-07-2020, 06:51 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Nice work Erik.

I must say that the interior design is, to me, very weird and wasteful on space!

Looks like a modern CORVID-19 design!

I would have thought coupes would have been a better plan - in terms of comfort, company and more paying passengers per coach...
Old 06-07-2020, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
Good work Erik

Google Adsense

Tags
o-scale, papertrade, pinegrove, santa fe, sleeper