PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 01-03-2021, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.38 MB
To be honest, not being able to read the instructions if a massive disadvantage, and I am in fact a bit lost at this point.
So, what I decided to do at this point was simply building the subasamblies that I see on the diagrams.

So... next part... if Part VII was the kettle then we are now at...

PART VIII : The Domes

Oh damned... domes, at least with the Cn2t I managed to make at least one dome stand out to greatness when chucking it on a dremelmount and sanding it... this time however I will have to do them the right way... due to those colors.

Well, here we go with the diagram of those domes :

First I went for the steam dome, the copper colored one (zloty means "copper", right ? Or is it "gold"?)

Great idea to make the diameter of the internal structure make the same as an AA battery (not Anti Aircraft... the battery size)

Then came the sanding dome... oh boy, was that another thing to do. Let's just say that I am more or less comfortable with the result... even though I have actually hammered the damn thing into shape with a hammer on the top of a broomstick at last.

First attempt :

And after hammering it on the tip of a broomstick :

As support on the inside, I glue tissue in it :

The little dome on top of the bigger one :

The endresult of the sanding dome, note the match of color with Molotow 204 "echtblau" (true blue).

Last edited by Dancooper; 01-03-2021 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 03:50 PM

PART IX : The Funnel

Well, if there is something steamengines can't go without it's the funnel of course.
I've never understood why those american locs had those almost caricatural trumpet shaped huge funnels. At one point I have read sometime that those were used on engines that used wood or peat while the normal slimmer funnels were used on engines running on coal. I don't know if that is true or not, so I am not going further into that.

The diagram :

Part of the parts... again I had forgotten to take a picture...

Here you can see that I have only used half of the bolts, because of the size, they would have been too close to eacheother to look good.

And looking at this part, it finally, after all these years it became clear to me that this trumpet was nothing more that a thing to catch cinders and other flaming hot rubbish being lanced from the actual funnel.

These cinders had to be cought of course, so I used mosquitomesh to simulate the metal mesh the actual funnel must have contained :

All funnelparts together give this :

Old 01-03-2021, 04:07 PM

PART X : The Cowcatcher

Not much to write about this part, it really is as straightforward as you can get it... at least if you know what you are building.
On the diagram you only see the basics of it :

But luckily whe do still know what we are doing..

We start with collecting the parts we KNOW we will need

And start building, the fit is again amazing...

A dryfit on the chassis :

Slowly building up the cowcatcher, note the Molotow marker that I use (I am not affiliated with the brand, but I really really like those marker, even though they are kind of pricy).

And the completed cowcatcher :

And to finisch where I actually am on this build at this moment ; a dry-fit of all chapters together :

Old 01-03-2021, 04:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Most impressive!

Your "boxes" in post #6 are actually steam chests.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoti View Post
Most impressive!

Your "boxes" in post #6 are actually steam chests.
Thank you for the compliment and more importantly for the information And what exactly would their function have been ?
Old 01-03-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancooper View Post
To be honest, not being able to read the instructions is a massive disadvantage,
In fact my neighbours across the street are Polish and I'm sure they would be delighted to help with the translation...
However, our nextdoor neighbour is a very pretty Russion woman with whom I already got a bit too close of a friendship according to my wife... so asking a translation from our not much less pretty Polish neighbour across the street is at this point not a very wise action.

Yes I am in a tight spot atm... (help......... I'm not even allowed to leave the house alone anymore)
Old 01-03-2021, 05:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 452.18 MB
Quote:
Thank you for the compliment and more importantly for the information And what exactly would their function have been ?
Steam has to get from the boiler (or "kettle" as you call it) to the cylinders some how...

This might help:

Steam locomotive components - Wikipedia
Old 01-03-2021, 07:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Quote:

Well, sort of. It's where the valve is located that emits steam into the cylinder on the power stroke and emits the exhaust steam on the return. To elaborate, the spent steam is exhausted through the blast pipe while the cylinder on the other side is pushing power. This is the "chug" sound made as the steam goes up the stack. On top of your "boxes" is a small cylinder. This is a drip oiler that lubricates the valve.

Stack shape depends on where the spark-arrestor equipment is located. In early days, it was often located in the top of the stack. Later, spark catching equipment was moved inside the smokebox as boiler diameters increased. i.e. large enough for a man to crawl inside vs. narrow diameter on early locomotives.

However, some designs, especially on logging locomotives such as Lima's Shays, still used diamond stacks because of the dangers of line-side fires.

Your model is looking great!
Old 01-04-2021, 01:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Arrow

Glad I could be an influence on you. Good or bad influence yet to be determined?

Your results look good to my eye.

Continued success to you.

Greg
Old 01-15-2021, 12:58 PM

Well, finally a little update... or to be honest, a small compendium of little updates that is.

"little" updates in the sence that it's not a spectacular change in appearance of the model... in fact... it's just smaller bits and parts.
Still a bit of time consuming of course.

First sub assembly I took care off was parts 74 (left and right... thank the gods they are identical and not symmetrical)...
The first one went together like a charm... the second one was a disaster, but I just scratched the parts from the cut-outs of the original parts and all was well again.

At the moment (evening over here) the pipes that are painted are drying (enemal paints), also I've given the boiler a second coat of satin black (Humbrol).

Second was those parts 75 and 76... a very assembly especially if the builder made the boiler correct.... phew... luckily I did

Ofcourse part 77 are just way too dull and simple to take a picture (two brackets to hold a later wire) so let's move to part 78.

Part 78 seems to be some kind of pressuretank, no connection shown in the diagramms, and after installment almost invisible.

After 78 comes of course 79 (and 80), I don't know what 79 is but it's what's next on the menu...

And today I did som plumbing :

Tomorrow I'll install the pipes and see if the boiler needs a third coat or not.