PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 09-16-2021, 05:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 254.35 MB
I learned something new while building this model. I had designed a leaf spring suspension system when I took a closer look at photos of the prototype and could not see any leaf springs. After searching the internet, I finally realized that this trailer has what is called an air ride suspension system.
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-7-undercarriage-6052.jpg  
Old 09-20-2021, 10:25 PM

There is no way I can fabricate 1/87 scale elbows out of paper for this model so I decided on long continuous length of 1 mm tubing and bending it to shape. I can roll a small diameter tube where the parallel side meet, also known as a convoluted roll, but only for short lengths and not for the 19.5 cm needed for this model. So I tried a spiral roll (like what you would see on a paper towel tube) but could not keep the overlaps even and the tube slowly gained diameter as it increased in length. In the end, I reverted back to the convoluted roll. Does anyone know a better way to roll small diameter tubes? Anyway, all the pipes are bent into the correct shapes, complete with couplers and one-way check valves, ready for installation. Time to take a break and work on the ACF 2970 cu ft Centerflow covered hopper. The side sills are done, complete with the COTS placard and ACI panel. I just started work on the ends (slope sheet).
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-8-air-pipes-6053.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-pattern-gn-acf-2970-cu-ft-centerflow2.jpg  
Old 09-22-2021, 10:27 PM

Do as I say, not as I do. Because the parts are added on in layers, the lower most part 45 (the brace plate between the tank supports) should go on first. Next, the aerator-fluidizer part 38 should be attached to the hoppers before the outlet (product) line part 29 gets in the way. The front fenders part 43 helps to align part 29 (hot air intake - product outline line) so part 43 should also be attached before part 29. Likewise parts 42 (the supports for the fenders) helps align part part 49 (supports for the outlet pipe stowage) and part 51 supports for the hot air intake line). Tomorrow, I will work on the lines to the aerators and to the tank. Right now, my eyes are tired and my back is hurting from being hunched over this model so its time to go for walk outdoors, stand up straight and look at the distant trees.
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-9-rear-fenders-outlet-pipe-stowage-6066.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-10-front-fenders-6057.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-11-rear-fenders-outlet-pipe-stowage-6066.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-12-hot-air-outlet-pipe-6063.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-13-hot-air-pipe-stowage-6065.jpg  

Old 09-25-2021, 07:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 558.93 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjlyuen View Post
There is no way I can fabricate 1/87 scale elbows out of paper for this model so I decided on long continuous length of 1 mm tubing and bending it to shape. I can roll a small diameter tube where the parallel side meet, also known as a convoluted roll, but only for short lengths and not for the 19.5 cm needed for this model. So I tried a spiral roll (like what you would see on a paper towel tube) but could not keep the overlaps even and the tube slowly gained diameter as it increased in length. In the end, I reverted back to the convoluted roll. Does anyone know a better way to roll small diameter tubes?
What about (just thinking out loud here) running the paper between a couple of pieces of threaded rod to 1) give it a built-in curl, and 2) to create corrugated paper that could then (after being formed into a pipe) be more easily bent without compressing the tube at the bend points?
Old 10-01-2021, 03:44 PM

Thank you for your suggestion. I gave your idea a try. Using a #8 bolt, I was able produce corrugated paper with peaks and valleys corresponding to 36 threads per inch. So far so good. The problem is when I try to roll the corrugated paper into a 1.5 mm tube. Any and all texture got flattened out in the process of rolling the paper into a tube. Back to the drawing board. Thank you just the same for your suggestion.

In the summer of 1986, I used styrene to scratch built a couple of 39 ft (2600 cu ft) Airslide covered hoppers following the instructions in a Model Railroader magazine article. So when it came time to build this model, I understood the purpose/function of the aerator/fluiders lines. Just the same, with so many confusing makes and models of pneumatic bulk transport trailers, let alone custom modifications, it was difficult to decide what details to add and what to leave out. I have to thank some training videos found on the internet to figure out the bare minimum placement of the shutoff vales, check (one way) valves and pressure relief devices. Except for Airslide and Pressureaid Centerflow covered hoppers, these are details that aren’t seen on railway cars. Hopefully, who ever makes his/her living with pneumatic bulk transport trailers will not see anything important that is missing on this model. With that, the Trail King 1033 cu ft pneumatic bulk transport trailer is finally done and parked besides Green Diamond Sand’s silos.

Now we begin work on the ACF 2970 cu ft 2-bay Centerflow covered hopper. This model is being designed as rolling stock on a model railroad and therefore will have commercially available trucks and couplers as well as internal formers in order the model to withstand repeated handling.
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-14-aerator-fluidizer-6070.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-15-tank-pressure-line-6075.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-16-hot-air-tank-6095.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-17-outlets-6098.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-18-ladder-bumper-6091.jpg  

1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-sand-silos-bulk-transport-trailer-6094.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-1-underframe-6101.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-2-formers-6102.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 10-01-2021, 04:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.82 MB
Everything is really looking great!
Old 10-17-2021, 01:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 80.02 MB
These are very interesting models, can you tell me were these are available, or is it just scratch build for yourself ??
Old 10-17-2021, 02:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Here’s an idea for the elbows. In the picture I have 1.5 mm paper tube bent 90 degrees and covered with thin copper wire. This worked fine to me. When it comes producing long paper tubes moisten the paper first, then do a preliminary roll and after that place the roll between two glass sheet and start thightening the package. Always roll to one direction (which is the closing end of the roll. When happy with the diameyer leave drying between the glass sheets.. When dry close the open long side with preferred glue. I have made over 20 cm paper tubes this way. Hope this helps. BTW Love those models, exceptional detail in this scale. Congrats!
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-63b43048-edf1-477f-a2b1-e4e7d9e6b2e6.jpg  
Old 10-17-2021, 08:29 AM

Tapcho, thank you for your suggestion on building thin tubes with wet paper and the help of 2 sheets of glass. Also using copper wire to bend said tube without introducing a crease.

JohnMGD, thank you for you kind comments. This project is scratch built and who ever wants the patterns can have them. The patterns for silos are already posted in the downloads sections. I’ll post the patterns for the pneumatic bulk trailer and the ACF centerflow covered hoppers together as soon as this project is done.

This project is taking longer than I imagined. I had to change the design of the formers because I had problems hiding weighs inside the car body with the previous design. But I still had the problem where neither the new nor the old former design was rigid enough to withstand handling. In the end, I rolled a couple of layers of card stock into a tube, slid that into the car body, packed the tube with 3.5 ounces of nuts and bolts, wiggled the spline into place and then pushed the formers onto the spline. But that created a new problem where I couldn’t reach behind to adjust the position of the slope sheet. On the prototype, the slope sheet is offset from the edge of the car body. There may be a better and easier way but I switched from glue tabs on the slope shield to glue strips attached to the interior of the car body 1.5 mm from the edge. Then slide the weighted card stock tube and former assembly into the car body. If this was just a static display model, the card stock tube and weights would not be necessary. Anyway, the glue strips inside the car body helped position the slope sheet with the correct offset from the edge.

Next, the rest the brake gear, the walkways and ladders, hatches, vibrator pads, gravity dump discharge outlets and I think we’re done.
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-3-glue-strip-6124-flip.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-4-slope-sheet-formers-6115.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-5-brake-air-reservoir-3469.jpg   1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-weghts-hidden-inside-tube-between-formers-6120.jpg  
Old 10-17-2021, 08:33 AM

I forgot the underframe and side sills
Attached Thumbnails
1/87 scale sand silos and elevator-2-side-sills-6103.jpg  
Google Adsense