PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 02-08-2021, 06:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 42.25 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoldover View Post
Based on the spacing between the wheels, the original model is 1/17.6 scale, so there's not much resizing to do...
Based on the track gauge, I figured 1:15. I will look closer, and try to get better drawings and dimensions for the prototype.

I was also thinking of modify the model for the other style of cable car.

This exact same style of cable car also ran in Seattle.
Old 02-09-2021, 07:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 558.93 MB
The tracks are 42" gauge (3'6"). I measured the outside distance between the wheel flanges (you can see them in the upper part of the end of the trucks), and assumed that to match the 3'6" rail spacing. Unfortunately, since the model is a little simplified from the original (as you would expect), that's more of a guess than I would like it to be. Finding accurate drawings is also tricky. I've only found a couple of drawings available online, and they're of a car built by a different builder, with a different roofline. In addition, over the years, every car has had modifications made to it, so the end result is that (as best as I can tell from my research) no two cable cars are exactly alike, even within a given type (single ended (Powell) vs double ended (California)). They also came in different lengths, even within those two types, depending on who built them and where they ran - I've seen plans and photos of single-ended cars anywhere from 24' feet long to 30' feet long, and double-ended cars from 22' long to 34' long - all from San Francisco from one time or another.

I was also thinking about using the model as a starting point for one of the double-ended cars - I'd be interested to see what you come up with in your modifications.

Good luck!

Joshua
Old 02-09-2021, 07:57 PM

My thoughts were reducing the open side by one "bay" or hand bar length (bench and all(. Mirror that change to the other end, while keeping the enclosed portion unchanged.
Old 02-10-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingjason14 View Post
My thoughts were reducing the open side by one "bay" or hand bar length (bench and all(. Mirror that change to the other end, while keeping the enclosed portion unchanged.
That's not a bad approximation to start with, but there are some "gotchas" with that. On the double-ended cars, both benches are the same length (short), the roofline and windows are a bit different, and the same truck is used at both ends. - I have some photos and diagrams I pulled together as part of the research I did that I can post this weekend (they're on a different computer than the one I'm on at the moment) that might help you out.
Old 02-10-2021, 07:24 PM

I figured some of those "gotchas". I figured the need to meticulously track the change in floor length, and take that change to add to the roof. There is also the conductor station at both ends.

I jyst have to find the time and motivation.
Google Adsense
Old 02-24-2021, 07:21 AM

Actual build - steps 1 & 2

The initial steps of the actual build for this variant model follow the same instructions as the original - assemble the front and rear trucks (and let dry). While the coloring of these pieces has changed, their basic shapes have not.

I'm using paper clips to hold together the tabs while the glue dries.
Attached Thumbnails
Updating and enhancing Alan Rose's San Francisco Cable Car-step-1-2.jpg  
Old 03-07-2021, 09:24 AM

Progress continues

Unfortunately I haven't had as much time to work on this as I would have liked, but progress is still being made. It's been a while since I worked on a model this large, and I'm taking a lot of care to make sure everything comes out looking good.

Other builders of this model (in its original form) will notice that the shape of the grip lever on mine is different. Mine is based on a diagram from the Library of Congress HAER archive which was part of a description of the cable car system. It is shown in the full release position (which is where it would be when the car isn't moving); the original is shown in the full grip position.

BTW, I'd like to apologize to those who prefer more detail in a build thread - for some reason I thought there had been a previous build thread for this model in these forums, which I didn't want to duplicate. However, in doing a search of the forum, I can't find it.

And now for the photos of the build in progress...
Attached Thumbnails
Updating and enhancing Alan Rose's San Francisco Cable Car-20210306_192727.jpg   Updating and enhancing Alan Rose's San Francisco Cable Car-20210306_192756.jpg   Updating and enhancing Alan Rose's San Francisco Cable Car-20210306_192829.jpg  
Old 03-07-2021, 10:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 4.62 GB
Some biographical information about the original designer.
Paper Model Design Workshop
A picture of market street would make great backdrop for your model and would not takeup too much room.
I am enjoying your postings about redoing a pre digitial era model.
Old 03-13-2021, 12:00 AM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
I never got the original, though have a copy of Rose's art-deco train that I plan to build.

It would be nice to get a build thread of this, with some tips on how to succeed?
Old 03-13-2021, 01:26 PM

>> John Wagenseil - If I do end up putting a backdrop behind this, I'm probably going to use a portion of the building that serves as the Cable Car Museum/power plant, since I'm able to get scaled drawings of that (and I know it's a location where the car would be stopped), rather than trying to do a generic street background from a photo. Any backdrop is only going to be about 4-5 inches away from the model, since I don't have a lot of display space.

The DC: The intent is for this to end up as a build thread (at least of my modified version) - I just need to squeeze in the time to finish building it! Since I don't have a dedicated model building area, I'm dependent on finding a space I can set up and work for a couple of hours at a time (I don't want to have to put everything away just as I've applied glue to the critical parts...).

That means I'm able to work on it (at best) about once/week...

Joshua
Google Adsense