PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 03-14-2021, 07:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 558.93 MB
Some more build photos

I was finally able to make some more progress on the build yesterday. I started by forming the edges of the running boards/footboards on the sides of the car. One of the things about this model that I don't like is the small size of some of the tabs in detail areas like this. To provide additional reinforcement, I decided to add a thin strip of cardstock that ran behind all three pieces of the footboard edge I'm using small clothespins to hold things together while the glue dries (Photo 1). Here's a closeup of how the reinforcement came out. (Photo 2).

I did the same with the front edge of the frame. (Photo 3).

The next pieces to assemble are the rear steps. These are a basic open box shape. (Photo 4)

Continuing with the cross-braces on the frame that keep the footboards in shape. (Photo 5)

And here's the final appearance of the front frame section (right side up this time) (Photo 6).
Attached Thumbnails
Updating and enhancing Alan Rose's San Francisco Cable Car-1.jpg   Updating and enhancing Alan Rose's San Francisco Cable Car-2.jpg   Updating and enhancing Alan Rose's San Francisco Cable Car-3.jpg   Updating and enhancing Alan Rose's San Francisco Cable Car-4.jpg   Updating and enhancing Alan Rose's San Francisco Cable Car-5.jpg  

Updating and enhancing Alan Rose's San Francisco Cable Car-6.jpg  
Old 03-16-2021, 07:46 PM

Location: On a small planet orbiting a yellow star in a galaxy named after a candybar.
Total Downloaded: 3.68 GB
Great start!!!
Old 03-21-2021, 10:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 558.93 MB
More build photos, and a setback

The frame of the cable car is starting to come together. In addition to the main front and rear sections I talked about in the last post, the next piece to put together was the rear bumper (Photos RB1, RB2). After assembling it, I used the tried-and-true technique of shading the white cut edges with colored marker (RB1 Shaded).

The next step was to glue the frame and rear bumper into a single assembly (FR Bottom). After the glue dried, I took the trucks, and put together a mock-up of how everything was going to end up going together (FR Top).

Now for the setback. As I was looking at the completed assembly, I noticed that when I was attaching the rear bumper it had ended up crooked (RB3). Fortunately in the process it had only gotten attached in three places instead of all along the surface, and I was able to cut it off without damaging the rest of the model.

It turned out that despite my best efforts at keeping everything square, the bumper assembly had gotten twisted. Since this was a piece that I modified from the original design, I took a step back to re-examine the design. It turned out that a couple of the dimensions were off, which I've now adjusted, and have reprinted the part. We'll see how assembling it goes in the next update.
Attached Thumbnails
Updating and enhancing Alan Rose's San Francisco Cable Car-rb1.jpg   Updating and enhancing Alan Rose's San Francisco Cable Car-rb2.jpg   Updating and enhancing Alan Rose's San Francisco Cable Car-rb1-shaded.jpg   Updating and enhancing Alan Rose's San Francisco Cable Car-fr-bottom.jpg   Updating and enhancing Alan Rose's San Francisco Cable Car-fr-top.jpg  

Updating and enhancing Alan Rose's San Francisco Cable Car-rb3.jpg