PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Railway related builds

Old 06-01-2021, 12:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 401.65 MB
Alsthom locomotive

Recent events in Myanmar reminded me of an old project stalled due to lack of data, so I'm hoping someone here might know more.

I want to kitbash an Alsthom diesel locomotive used by Philippine National Railroad between 1967 and 1976, here's a short summary of what I've found online:

Alsthom SACM BBB1200
(PNR series 1500 Mainline, Burma Railways DF.12)
V: 96.5kph
L: 13400mm (43.96ft)
W: 2748mm (9.02ft)
H: 3500mm (11.48ft)
Diesel: SACM MGO V12 BZSHR 1200hp
Bogie wheelbase: 2200mm (7.22ft) bolsters 24.54ft
UIC Bogies: B-B-B

It has 3 powered bogies/trucks and cabs on both ends - more data and photos are hard to find when I don't know what official designation Alsthom used for this model. The only related 3-view I've seen is for an off-center single cab version of the Dutch Railways. Besides PNR only Myanmar and Kampuchea (now derelicts) used the same model as far as I can tell, with only Myanmar still using the double and single cab versions. It left PNR service after one somehow started itself and derailed off a high bridge!

I've tried to do my own 3-views from online photos and video captures, but can someone (former Alsthom employee?) definitively identify this diesel engine and direct me to an online resource? Thanks!
Google Adsense
Old 06-01-2021, 04:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 35.81 MB
Hi, lfuente, I don't know if this will help, but it is an "Alsthom" loco. Very simple model. Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Alsthom locomotive-pelican-dg426_alsthom-locomotive.jpg  
Old 06-03-2021, 08:22 PM

Thanks Tom, I've already seen that and think it's a C-C electric.

What I'm hoping is to get the official designation that I can use as the online search term - I previously found an Alsthom sales brochure that had photos of it but only generic identification. Eventually I want to build an N-gauge shell that will fit onto a modified Bachmann PCC trolley which has the closest dimensions.
Old 06-05-2021, 02:17 AM

Total Downloaded: 115.38 MB
Here in Belgium the one Tom shows us, is known as an HLE type 23, I've driven one when I was just starting out as a traindriver.
Old 06-05-2021, 09:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 179.62 MB
IŽm sorry you canŽt find info on that specific locomotive. Alsthom engines have simple lines but thereŽs something that appeals in them.

Some years ago I made some research for one Alsthom that served in Spain in the same timeframe as the one you are looking for. Unfortunately is an electric
2X three axle bogie; much like the one Tom shared.

Maybe youŽll have to resort to gather your engine by parts. I mean. maybe the smaller 2 axle bogies were also used in a shuttle engine, also same powered locos may share cabin details, and so on.

Good luck in your project!
Google Adsense
Old 06-12-2021, 01:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 558.93 MB
I did come across a Facebook group for a Philippine Railway Historical Society - I'm not a Facebook member, so I can't tell you anything about the group, but they might be a potential resource Philippine Railway Historical Society (PRHS)

Doing some more checking on them turned up an online blog via WordPress as well, along with a number of electronic publications including an all-time roster for the system (with a photo and model designation for the locomotive you're looking for). https://prhsociety.files.wordpress.c...-update-v3.pdf

Joshua

Last edited by jamoldover; 06-12-2021 at 01:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:38 PM

Thank you Pablo and Joshua, I've already seen the PRHS document. It only has the PNR type (class 1500), not the Alsthom identifier, but it does have the only good color photo (probably taken during the 1967 rollout) of the locomotive in PNR livery. Here's my effort at a 3-view based on the single-cab Dutch version, I added the blue lines in MS Paint.

I did find a paper model of this but on closer examination it was just a recolor of a Japanese B-B-B electric, so the proportions and bogies are wrong. If I were to do one I'd probably start from a Czech M131 railcar and stretch the center section to get the right overall length.

My drawing is still inaccurate based on screencaps of a German trainfan's video of a Myanmar DF12 with a nearly perfect side view. Side access panels need to be moved a bit, and the top view is still speculative since my drawing doesn't narrow towards the ends and the locomotives are not 100% identical. My project's stalled as I'm reluctant to start sawing off my only PCC streetcar's metal body ends if I'm not sure it's right.
Attached Thumbnails
Alsthom locomotive-alsthom_bbb1200_3v_rev.jpg  

Last edited by lfuente; 06-12-2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 06:01 AM

For what it's worth I found the Alsthom diagram I downloaded and it's labeled NS2400/SNCF62400, which are diesel locomotive classes for those 2 railways. When I looked them up they were both B-B shunters, and no mention of a B-B-B variant.