PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > rch123's projects

Old 12-04-2010, 07:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter taft View Post
The Historians here will no doubt give you there answer shortly - what ever you go with will be fine by me - Hitler's been and gone, but the memories live on.... unfortunately. By the way Steve... can you pop round and show me how this design lark works out She looks magnificent.... even in those colours The skins should really see this one come up a real beauty.
Thank you very much for your complements. I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not sure what you meant though when you said showing you how the design lark works out. I apologize
Old 12-04-2010, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rch123 View Post
and now the question: do you guys want this model to have the Nazi swastika on it (for historical purposes) or would you choose no flags at all? The only reason I ask is because, well, Hitler was evil.
It depends whether you (or all the rest) want it to be historically correct, or politically correct. Those are usually two very separate things. I usually take the historical side.

I've seen in the German forum that swastikas are not allowed in the photographs.
When I asked a friend of mine (who happens to be a Germanophile) he explained that symbols of the Nazi rule are banned by law in Germany. The public display of the hakenkreuz* is not allowed. That's why you see that cross blurred or censored (or even replaced by the Iron Cross) not only in models, but in photographs of coins, stamps, etc. Only in very specific contexts (academic/scholarly) they are allowed to be used. Not even anti-nazi movements are allowed to show/use crossed hakenkreuz.

* I prefer to call it like that, because "swastika" is the more general name of that kind of cross, that applies still to the religious symbols in some places of the world.

That's a great model. It looks beautiful so far.
It seems that it will require a careful build. But the more difficult things become, the more rewarding they are.

Will be following the progress of the design

Last edited by Rubenandres77; 12-04-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 60.55 MB
I think it would be easy to make it an optional part for those who didnt want it, but definatly include it for accuracy, in my opinion.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:16 PM

It was kind of a dumb question to ask...as Ted said, I'll design it to be optional. Those who want it can put it on, those who don't can burn it
Old 12-04-2010, 08:22 PM

In my opinion, if your offended by a swastika, maybe you shouldnt build a ww2 model lol. Yes, Hitler was unquestionably one of the most misguided leaders in history, but it is important to remember what he did, so that we can prevent it from happening again.

Google Adsense
Old 12-04-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedparkes View Post
In my opinion, if your offended by a swastika, maybe you shouldnt build a ww2 model lol. Yes, Hitler was unquestionably one of the most misguided leaders in history, but it is important to remember what he did, so that we can prevent it from happening again.
I'm not offended - I love everything WW2. It just kinda felt a bit funny, because usually I build models that have the Allies flags on it.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:27 PM

No, i didnt mean you, I meant builders in general lol. I could never see my self building of say, the Bismarck, and not putting swastikas on the bow and stern, just wouldnt look right.

Old 12-04-2010, 09:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear RCH123:
Being trained as a historian I like the IDEA of a secound set of parts where the insiginia goes is the best of both worlds. I also think that this model will lend itsself to repaints, I am going to look if it went to North Africa and was painted in the desert camo or not. Must have spent way to much time as an archaeologist in desert Southwest I like Tan.
Thanks, I shall get off the SOAP BOX,
MILES
Old 12-04-2010, 11:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 59.62 MB
Let's remember that Hitler did not invent the swastika symbol, but instead appropriated it. Native peoples in Asia, America --and even ancient Israel (!) developed that same symbol independently thousands of years ago. To this day, tourist maps in Asia use the symbol to indicate locations of Buddhist temples. The Indian-head insignia of the Lafayette Escadrille in WWI included a small swastika. A prized personal possession is a book of all Kipling's poems, printed several years before Nazis were invented -- and it uses the swastika as a typogrphical ornament. I can't quarrel with optional parts for individual modelers who might be offended, but please don't prevent the rest of us from attaining the historical accuracy we value.

With all this manual labor, I may not make it out of retirement alive.
Old 12-04-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Let's remember that Hitler did not invent the swastika symbol, but instead appropriated it. Native peoples in Asia, America --and even ancient Israel (!) developed that same symbol independently thousands of years ago. To this day, tourist maps in Asia use the symbol to indicate locations of Buddhist temples. The Indian-head insignia of the Lafayette Escadrille in WWI included a small swastika. A prized personal possession is a book of all Kipling's poems, printed several years before Nazis were invented -- and it uses the swastika as a typogrphical ornament. I can't quarrel with optional parts for individual modelers who might be offended, but please don't prevent the rest of us from attaining the historical accuracy we value.
Of course...that's why I decided to make it optional, for history. It was a dumb question for me to ask, I should never have asked it.

Aside from that, that was very enlightening. I had no idea that the symbol was around before Hitler. Thank you for the information.
Google Adsense