PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Recolors

Old 12-25-2012, 10:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
I like what you did with the fairings. I did the original grey model some time ago, and struggled with them. They ended up looking terrible. Thanks for the tip.

Garland
Old 01-04-2013, 05:28 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Thanks for the nice comments, guys and gal. I made an embarassing discovery since my last post. My Yak-3 file was downloaded from FG to my home computer at least 4 years ago, and in the "Versions" folder there was just the black and white. Over the weekend, I downloaded a new Yak-3 file from FG to my work laptop, and guess what....there is now a 2nd livery in the Versions folder called "camo". Guess what plane it is....the exact same friggin' plane that I spent hours recoloring. D'oh! It's a pretty nice looking job too. Sooooo, I guess I won't be submitting my recolor to FG after all. At least not this one. If I can find another Yak-3 illustration from Wings Palette that I like, with the same camo pattern but different markings, I'll go to work again. I'd like to get my reworked version included in the FG file because some of the problems with the original model have been corrected - the too short wing fairings, the too small prop spinner, and the too large and incorrectly shaped canopy.

Anyhow, I finished the model, and have mounted it on a Fiddler's Green stand. The photos leave a bit to be desired, but you'll get the idea. On to the next project!
Attached Thumbnails
FG Yak-3 recolor-yak3sideview.jpg   FG Yak-3 recolor-yak3tail.jpg   FG Yak-3 recolor-yak3nose.jpg   FG Yak-3 recolor-yak3onbase.jpg  
Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.09 MB
Oh, sad you hear about the mistake. Maybe you have to send the file anyway, they can label it as a "improved" version. I think is a shame lost your work.
I think your model looks great. I'm very impressed for the 3 picture: the shape of nose and the propellers are very nice.
Congrats on another finished project Don.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
I agree with Alcides. I think you should send it in, as well. You can call it Camo 02!

Garland