PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Recolors

Old 02-24-2013, 02:14 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Question Uscg h-19

I downloaded the H-19 kit from Chip at Fiddler's Green, and noticed one of the versions was of a USCG H-19 in the later white and red scheme. Does anyone know of a good source for H-19's in USCG Service? Seems to me they used to be silver with black markings, at least i seem to remeber that from old Seahunt episodes and a while back I was near the Boneyard at Davis-Montham and saw some HU-16 amphibian hulks at onee of the civil yards that were painted that way though they were badly faded, the desert sun does do that!
Google Adsense
Old 02-24-2013, 03:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Everything I've ever seen of the H-19 in Coast Guard service shows it red/white like the FG model. The silver w/ black marking were predominately USAF birds. Army helos were mostly the olive drab green, and Navy ones were the rescue orange/red color.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
This site has some black and white images that seem to show a USCG H-19 (HO4S-3G)in natural metal finish: Untitled Document

And here is one in yellow, although I am not sure that was the actual original color scheme (the photo was taken in 2009): Sikorsky H04S-3G (S-55/H-19) Chickasaw | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Don
Old 02-24-2013, 10:25 PM

Thanks Don, I may be mistaken as those old Seahunt shows were in b&w but I am certain the uscg h-19's shown on that show from time to timr.that were something othrr than red/white though the only photos were in that color scheme. It is possible they were yellow as I have seen photos of R-4's and S-51's in USCG service that were.yellow. Hmmm, perhaps I should contact the Coast.Guard, perhaps they have an archive or historical section. And thank you Willygoat you may be right but I suspect that color scheme was at the end of their service life.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:35 PM

Just looked.at that site you mentioned Don, gotta share.that one with Chip as I had seen one of the Heli-Camper conversions offered as.a grand prize many years ago in a magazine and mentioned it to him, and he thought the idea of a flying RV was cool!!
Google Adsense
Old 02-24-2013, 10:37 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
http://www.uscg.mil/history/webaircr...orsky_ho4s.pdf

check this link out............ shows some color shots, but they are either red & white or yellow.

I'm thinking the B&W pictures show a yellow bird. (but looks silver)

My Drawings
Old 02-24-2013, 10:55 PM

I was looking at that link of Don's and I was thinking the same thing John. Like I said.those old Seahunt episodes were in b&w and the H-19's that showed up in some episodes could vell have been yellow.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
I did the USCG repaint. The silver/bare metal finish was the USAF SAR bird.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:52 AM

Just passing through... I think the answer is USCG HO4S/H-19s initially were all yellow. USAF versions were silver paint with yellow band/black edging. This of course duplicated the same silver scheme used on the P5M-1 and HU-16