PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Recolors

Old 06-12-2017, 09:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 401.65 MB
test builders for recolors

Hello all,

Having enjoyed free papermodels from scissorsandplanes, racepaper, gerry1966, garypilsworth, cafe, airdave and others it's time for me to pay it forward (a little).

I've started a series of vintage (e.g. my childhood) aircraft from obscure, now defunct, Philippine airline companies and would like to have them test built before the general release to the forum since I don't have a working printer just now. I intend to release them in 1:200 scale, but the test builders will get them in the larger editing scale so the mis-alignments and other stuff to fix show up better.

These include the Air Manila Lockheed L188 (from scissorsandplanes) and Fokker F27 (from Gerry1966), and Filipinas Orient Airways YS11 (from Hiroshi Tozawa). I have permission for the first 2 but have been unable to find any means of emailing Tozawa-san.

Send me a private message with your email address and choices, and I'll send you the files as PDF attachments. One of them even has a bonus aircraft tug (not mine).

Enjoy!
Google Adsense
Old 06-18-2017, 08:38 PM

New recolor available!

OK, at least 1 person has volunteered to test build so I know some people are reading this thread. Still don't have a working printer right now.

This update is a recolor of Chaiwat's 1:200 C-45 Expeditor as a 1941 Philippine Air Lines Beech Model 18 airliner. Red overall with with gold Beech speedbird stripes and white registration numbers. I erased the starboard door and added landing gear.

Chaiwat builds his models with transparent canopies so this model has a big hole in the cockpit. I found a flat wrap windscreen pattern from a balsa model plan and put 4 different windscreen sizes for the test builder to figure out which one (or none) fits best, add your own tabs.

Working scale was meant to be 1:100 but if the Powerpoint ruler is correct the wingspan is about 7.5" when it should be 5.72" (so about 1:76).

Any takers? Send a private message with your email address and I'll send you the PDF. Also working on a generic USAF C-45 in olive and gray.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:12 PM

1st batch of recolors now downloadable!

Feels like I'm talking to myself, but I know people are reading this. Go have a look at Bruno Vanhecke's '1 model per working day' thread on the Aviation subboard for information about the dozen recolors I just uploaded.

More are coming, just waiting on testbuilder reports.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:11 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
You are right; a lot of us are just lurkers. Thanks for sharing all these re-paints.

John
Old 08-15-2017, 07:22 AM

Thanks, I enjoyed doing them and it's a plus to pay it forward. Just finished my latest recolor, the next batch looks like a flock of helicopters.
Google Adsense
Old 08-15-2017, 12:52 PM

Location: No longer living in NYC. Mooresville, NC is my home now.
Total Downloaded: 2.51 GB
I would love to help you out and build one or two of these aircraft, but unfortunately right now I'm busy relocating as I've just retired.
I'd love to get one each of all those kits in there original scale.
As I get older I'm finding it harder to build those small 1/200 kits. So 1/72 or so, is what I seem to be able to build without any sort of building issues these days.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 7.01 GB
Sorry for the lack of build reports Ifuente, but I am on vacation and only have the pc with me...the printer is at home so I need to wait till September for new printouts...
Old 08-15-2017, 04:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
You can't publish a paper model without some sort of paper cockpit canopy!
I know many people use plastic for their canopies, but you still have to provide a paper one.
I did not realize that Jack doesn't provide canopies with his planes.
I know they are free models, but so what?

Jack(Chaiwat)...my friend...make some canopy templates! LOL

This sounds interesting: C-45 Expeditor as a 1941 Philippine Air Lines Beech Model 18 airliner
Is it a difficult model?
I have way too many projects on the go.
I would like to see it regardless.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:41 PM

collected replies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormeagle View Post
Sorry for the lack of build reports Ifuente, but I am on vacation and only have the pc with me...the printer is at home so I need to wait till September for new printouts...
No pressure guys, Pablo's doing his best to help debug Chaiwat's C-45. Without a printer I do need your input to improve alignment and other things.

I understand your problem Rich, but I prefer small. This also ensures I don't take business away from original designers like Aaron. Most of the free downloads are metric, hence the A4 basis size. If you have an A3 paper printer you can do 'fit to page' to get 1:71. A3 is about 2 legal size sheets joined long edge to long edge.

And Dave thanks for the DB5, it's on my shortlist - only time I saw one in the flesh was at a California car lot in the 1990s, it was red but I stood and admired it for a good half hour. Send me a PM with your email if you want to give the C-45 (1:200, mostly tab-less, no directions) a shot.

I've branched out into civilian helicopters, so if you like those check back often. I work from pictures so all of my recolors are real aircraft, but online civilian photos are uncommon even when searching for NPC-xxxx (until 1945) PI-Cxxxx (1945-1975) or RP-Cxxxx (after 1975). Maybe you guys can turn up something, I've done the usual internet photo archives and found little - if you want to help, here are the ones I've found photos for: RP-C2294, RP-C887, RP-C2042, RP-C2043, RP-C1350, RP-C1942, RP-C1258, RP-C1888, RP-C33, RP-C221 and RP-C4190.

You can guess which ones I'm recoloring by googling those serials in a registry database, but no guarantees on complicated liveries. Bonus points if you can find a photo of an Philippine MD500D (T-tail and round, not pointy nose) or Hughes 369/model 500 (V-tail).

Last edited by lfuente; 08-15-2017 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Added text
Old 08-15-2017, 07:47 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.97 GB
Would love to help but at the moment too much on my plate already.
Will see after the projects at hand are cleared.

Papermate
Google Adsense