Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Lars,
That swimming pool is ready!
Nice detail work with the winches.
Mike
Old 10-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
Ines is a ship model I have always wanted to build one day and you are doing an excellent job on her.

Old 11-01-2010, 06:51 AM

@Mike: Yeah, and today, it's sunny and hot (well, at least on my "Santa Inés" :D ), so i expect some bathers here.

@Barry: Thank you, it's a very interesting and challenging model. But it's also much of fun!

Here are some pics of the swimming pool. The ladders have been added, as well as the railing around the pool. The upper line, i painted brown to resemble a handrail. The people are again 1:220 plastic-figures, hand-painted.

"Mum, look, dad is going to take a swim."
"Hi my love" (*winking*), "should i get us some drinks from the bar?"
"Yes, that'd be good. And bring some deck chairs for us as well, please."

"...please stop shouting, i want to take a nap...zzzz..."
Attached Thumbnails
-santa-ines-27.jpg   -santa-ines-28.jpg   -santa-ines-29.jpg  
Old 11-01-2010, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.93 MB
Hello gentlemen,

there are not so many shipmodels on the market encouraging to short stories ...
So, let me say, I like water too - well temperated in my longdrinkglass guided with a good old gin ...

With lovely greetings
the Wilfried
Old 11-03-2010, 01:02 PM

@Wilfried: Hehe, well, at the pool, you can have both: The water to swim in and the water in your gin-mix

I (almost) finished the anchor winch. It's highly detailed and was printed on grey cardboard, which is thinner than the other white cardboards of the kit. As i connected the parts, i was amazed at how good this thing is constructed. The wheels all fit well with the profile plates, the turning beam and the bearings. You can see the development in the attached pics.
Still missing are the chain stoppers in front of the winch, the chain brakes and the chain itself. I'm still looking for the right size for the chain, so i decided to add those mentioned parts later.

Macro pics sometimes hurt... :D

I hope i don't bore you with these detailed descriptions.
Attached Thumbnails
-santa-ines-30.jpg   -santa-ines-31.jpg   -santa-ines-32.jpg   -santa-ines-33.jpg   -santa-ines-34.jpg  

-santa-ines-35.jpg   -santa-ines-36.jpg   -santa-ines-37.jpg   -santa-ines-38.jpg   -santa-ines-39.jpg  

-santa-ines-40.jpg  
Old 11-03-2010, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Wonderful work, Lars!

A very nice build of the anchor windlass. I think there are some jewelry suppliers or even ship model suppliers that can provide very believable anchor chain, but very few that I have seen with chain of the correct construction, that is with the studs used in common anchor links. I have seen some photo etched sets that I imagine might be doable, but have not used them myself. At my scale of 1/600 or smaller I tend to use techniques that give one the impression of chain links, without actually being chain, sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.

Keep at it, mate, this is beautiful work!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 11-04-2010, 01:24 PM

@Jim: Thank you for your tips and the compliment.
I discussed the "chain problem" with Wilfried and came to the conclusion, that my chain in stock is rather suitable for use. So here it is...
The winch is now complete and was glued to the deck.
Attached Thumbnails
-santa-ines-41.jpg   -santa-ines-42.jpg   -santa-ines-43.jpg   -santa-ines-44.jpg   -santa-ines-45.jpg  

-santa-ines-46.jpg  
Old 11-04-2010, 01:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
I have to agree, that chain looks great, as does the windlass. I have not seen many windlasses that also include the brake/clutch as part of the model, but this one does, which is a very nice detail.

Wonderful work!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 11-04-2010, 03:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 461.4 KB
Servus Lars!

A wonderful model you have there! Especially the details in that scale amazes me! And the pool invites for a swim! Really great work!!

I noticed that you used a 1 EURcent coin as a scale. Here in Finland there is no 1 EURcent coin in use. The smallest is 5 cent :D

But maybe the finnish modelmakers here have still some in store for scaling purpose.. (I took some with when I moved to Finland )

Where did you get that plastic figures from, Lars?

Regards, RdK
Old 11-04-2010, 04:11 PM

@Jim: Thank you and thanks to you i now know how the german word "Kettenbremse" is translated
Brake/Clutch, ok.

@RdK: Thank you! Well, you might run into some technical problems, if you try to follow the invitation of the swimming pool :D
5 Euro cents are a bit larger than the 1 cents; they would almost bury the winch beneath....
The figurines are from a german manufacturer called Preiser.
The scale is 1:220, but the difference to 1:250 (like my model of the "Santa Inés") is so minimal that you can use them really well. I ordered them here 160 unbemalten Figuren - Artikeldetailansicht - Hufis - Miniaturfiguren
and coloured them. You get an arsenal of workers, civilians, train personnel, travellers and even horses, sheep and dogs.