PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 11-01-2010, 08:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I love this piece. It's beyond just a model and is a story being told.

Thanks Deck!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 627.66 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stev0 View Post
I love this piece. It's beyond just a model and is a story being told.

Thanks Deck!

Thanks shipmate

One the most important events of the second world war. The Doolittle Raid April 18th 1942, when jimmy doolittle led 16 B-25s to the home land of the Empire of Japan. Jimmy Doolittle stated that the raid was a failure due to the lost of men and aircraft but historians alike and even the people of the United states that the raid was a moral booster to america we were feeling beatened by Japan when they destroyed our fleet at Pearl Harbor, But when jimmy Doolittle led his raiders to japan it did more then a moral booster it brought back a lot of Japanese troops to their homeland, Also more inportantly we will return and fisish the job. A very Very important changeing of the tide of world war 2, I was 4 years old in 1944 when Thirty seconds over tokyo was released I d8idn,t see the movie until the end of the war. Still then 2 years afdter this movie was released, it still was a block buster I remember hundreds of people and ex servicemen stood in huge lines to watch this movie, The movie was 3 and a half hours long, they cutted out 90 minutes worth of film to preview on tellevision, A classic movie it is
Old 11-04-2010, 05:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 248.80 MB
WOW.........Rich
Old 11-04-2010, 06:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Stand to, Attention to Orders:

We seriously need to come up with some kind of medal for you, Boats. If I could award you the Order of the Hobby Knife with Paper Cluster, I would do it.

Excellent build!
Old 11-05-2010, 08:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
Is that all scratch-built? If so, I am in awe.

Wyvern
Google Adsense
Old 11-05-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvern View Post
Is that all scratch-built? If so, I am in awe.

Wyvern
Wyvern
Yes it is, I got a set of plans from the floating Drydock the plans were drawn in the scale of 1/192, model length is 4 ft. they were an enlarged version of Edward Wiswesser,s catalog of warship drawings He has a great wealth of selection of warships of all Nations and era of sail she is built on plank and frame construction useing plastic cardstock that I bought at the squadron store, the flight deck is framed and veneered with plastic card stock all boarding was scribed with a NO.11 blade. For all of card modelers who would like to make a challenge in scratch I highly recemend useing these lans they come with hull stations profile head on and overhead views. to get these plans you have to go to AbeTaubman plan service tom at the floating drydock may still carry these plans
Old 11-05-2010, 12:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.86 MB
Saw the title of this thread and and I immediately
thought I started hearing "Anchors Aweigh!"

Yep, Van Johnson, Spencer Tracy, definitely a classic
movie. The movie is based on the book by the real pilot
Toland I believe. Van Johnson plays his part in the movie.

It's too bad that most of the 16 planes and crews didn't
survive the mission. If only the logistics of the operation
were more better. But that was 70 years ago.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubting Thomas View Post
Saw the title of this thread and and I immediately
thought I started hearing "Anchors Aweigh!"

Yep, Van Johnson, Spencer Tracy, definitely a classic
movie. The movie is based on the book by the real pilot
Toland I believe. Van Johnson plays his part in the movie.

It's too bad that most of the 16 planes and crews didn't
survive the mission. If only the logistics of the operation
were more better. But that was 70 years ago.

Doubting Thomas
thank you for your reply. Yes thirty seconds over tokyo movie was based on Captain Ted Lawson who advised the movie. I went to the Doolittle Raider convention in dayton Ohio in 1983 Jimmy and the boys there, I met a couple of the flyers and Jimmy doolittlke a very nice little man very alert but never forgot every detail of the raid. The raid could have been more successfull if not that much loss of aircraft and men. Jimmy mentioned to me the plan weas to take them as close to the Japan homeland as possibly atleasted 200 miles durring breifings he told his ment if we were to be spotted on sea or air to take off emediately to the nearest land. when task force 16 was spoted by a japanese patrol boat there was no time to follow the mission as plan. they took off that morning. they were 400 miles off the coast of japan. this causeing the the mitchell bomber to crash into the chinia sea none made it to chungking they all crashed through out the Chinia coast. the raid wpould have been quite different if they took off as planned. Jimmy mentioned only one mitchell made a safe landing without crashing and believes that it it is still intact in Russia. The crew was enterned there untill the wars end. Russia was no safe heaven for U.S. airmen. The U.S.S. HORNET was sunk late in 1942 off the Phillipines. A very important role in the second world war it brought the war right to the Japanese homeland, gave them a good taste of medicine and we will be back that was August 6th 1945 the Enola Gay dropped the worlds first Nucular bomb on Japan twice.