PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-18-2011, 12:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
It looks great! I enjoyed your dialogue with Fred on building techniques. There is always a lot to learn from your build threads, dhanners.

Don
Old 01-19-2011, 06:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.59 GB
That's very kind of you to say, Don (and my first name is David) and I appreciate the support.

Work has been slow ("life" is intervening in the build) but I have gotten a few things done. So here goes....

All I can say is, sometimes I envy our plastic cousins. I got to the step in the instructions where you are supposed to do the "stern guard rails," which are these big fence-like rails along the main deck. The instructions say you're to glue the kit pieces to a triple thickness of paper, then cut out the pieces and attach them to the model.

But in looking at my reference photos of the actual vessel, the guard rails are actually round, and I wanted to replicate that. I wanted to keep with paper or wood (since wood is the precursor to paper) but I just couldn't figure out how to do it because several of the pieces have curves and bends in them. So I broke down and made them out of 1/16th styrene rod. Please don't get on my case. The model is now a "mixed media" model. Sorry.

Anyway, I used the kit parts as templates and bent the rod to fit it and glued the pieces together and the next thing you know, I had guard rails. I found that Testor's "Chrysler Engine Blue" was a close match in color to the kit, so I painted them; I may go back later and give them a flat coat. I then glued the rails to the deck.
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Shipwright's MV Geco Scorpio-gc1.jpg   Paper Shipwright's MV Geco Scorpio-gc2.jpg  

Last edited by dhanners; 01-19-2011 at 06:55 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:51 AM

The rails look very realistic.

It's always great to see ways in which a model builder can stretch the properties of paper and adhere to a paper-only regime, but a lot of beautiful models appear in the Forum that include wire, thread, wood bracing, and brass or plastic details.

You have great model building talent, a penchant for attention to detail and historical accuracy, and great patience and perseverance. Your models are always a delight to the eye and there is always much to learn in your build threads.

Don
Old 01-21-2011, 03:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 474.31 MB
Hi, David!

The railings really came out great, they do look very realistic and came out very nice.

Don't you hate it when life interferes with modeling time? I've been on a hiatis for a few weeks now, just can't seem to find any spare time to cut and glue any paper. I am enjoying your build thread on this model very much, thanks for sharing this project with us!

Cheers!
Jim
Old 01-21-2011, 05:02 PM

As it happens, I'm on vacation next week, and except for taking the car to the shop on Monday, I've nothing else planned so I WILL be finishing this model.

Then again, with 60 inches of snow on the ground so far this winter, and it being -15 out on my drive in to work this morning (that's -26 C to our European friends) and today's "high" being -1, I'll leave it to others to discuss my sanity for not going somewhere warm on vacation....
Google Adsense
Old 01-21-2011, 06:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanners View Post
As it happens, I'm on vacation next week, and except for taking the car to the shop on Monday, I've nothing else planned so I WILL be finishing this model.

Then again, with 60 inches of snow on the ground so far this winter, and it being -15 out on my drive in to work this morning (that's -26 C to our European friends) and today's "high" being -1, I'll leave it to others to discuss my sanity for not going somewhere warm on vacation....
Thats why I live across the Mason Dixen Line! But even we are setting records for lows and snow, but ours is still measured in inchs not feet like yours'. But hey, heres the flip side, no honey do for outside, souds like perfect building weather. By the way mate, really like your building of this vessel and a very precise clean technique. Looking forward to more.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:10 PM

A fairly productive day. Finished the crane, the anchor windlass and stoppers, the rescue boat gantry, the rescue boat and, just for the heck of it, some of the equipment containers and cable reels that go on the deck.

Everything was fairly straightforward. I had plenty of anchor chain left over from my Admirable build, so I used that, colored with a black Sharpie. Haven't glued the rescue boat on because I've seen in some photos than some railings go back there so it would make sense to put that in first and then glue the boat on.

Built the equipment containers pretty much as per instructions, but for one of them, I decided to open the doors. I covered the insides with silver paper. And there are two cable reels that apparently are supposed to be just laid on the deck of the finished model, but I scratcbuilt a thingie to hold them.
Attached Thumbnails
Paper Shipwright's MV Geco Scorpio-gc1.jpg   Paper Shipwright's MV Geco Scorpio-gc2.jpg   Paper Shipwright's MV Geco Scorpio-gc3.jpg   Paper Shipwright's MV Geco Scorpio-gc4.jpg   Paper Shipwright's MV Geco Scorpio-gc5.jpg  

Old 01-23-2011, 08:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great detail work there! I don't envy your winters either, we moved down here from Burnsville about ten years ago. Your summers are better though!
Old 01-23-2011, 10:17 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I used to live in Texas -- Amarillo, Brownsville and then from '82 to '94 in Dallas. Yeah, the summers there could be killers. I remember there'd be time in the summer when I'd walk out of the office and it felt like a blast furnace, and you'd swear the asphalt in the parking lot was hot enough to melt the soles of your shoes.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:00 AM

Wow! That is superb detail work, David. I can smell the oil and the fresh paint.

Although my preference is for ships built prior to 1950, I must admit that models like your Geco Scorpio demonstrate the fascination of modern ships.

Don
Google Adsense