PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 10-30-2011, 10:32 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadhead1952 View Post
Hi Rick,

Go Rick Go!

There, my official model building chant to get you back into this one. Yeah, I know what you mean, with the winter weather coming on (Let's see, it was 85 yesterday here LOL) I am kicking around my modeling choices. I have moved into a new place with lots of room so I can add more built models now. Looking forward to watching you work over the Lavoisier. That is after you get done having your way with the finny critters down North Carolina way.
Thanks for the motivation, and I am glad to see you are still here too. Just got back from the coast, not too good a trip, the fish were not in yet and the weather was a bummer. But we still had a good time. Hope to post some photos soon of the little French vessel. Again glad to hear from you my ole friend. Rick
Old 11-02-2011, 06:46 PM

Just a foot note, I had the frame of this little jewel already cut and mocked up @ the beginning of the thread, but I was not too happy with and so decided to copy again the frame sheet and start over. Will post photos soon.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:18 PM

PS: Played with some small bits of wood to make a stair jig today as well. I do not have the ability to route the slide, but the basic frame is made and though not an exact copy, I think I came up w/a simple man's way on the excellent idea from Mike for this fixture.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:40 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to treadhead1952
Hi Rick,

I took the easy way out and used some soft wood and a Xacto Knife to make mine up. Finishing it out with some gunstock finish from Birchwood Casey made it harder and shiny so that it was easy to work with.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:06 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Hello Rick,
I hope the "stair jig" idea helps.
Looking forward to some pictures.
Mike
Google Adsense
Old 11-04-2011, 06:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.18 MB
I'm always interested to see photos and to try to understand the struggles.

Should I design out the ladders? It can be done. Instead of putting in detail of bridges, etc. I can put a sheet of artwork that dimly shows a few things. Of course there are a couple of ladders right up top in the 'mid-ships well of Lavoisier that cannot be hidden. I think that I gave flat artwork for them, didn't I? I've never used the ladder jigs that Mike has developed but, then, I don't think that my ladders look as good.

On Lavoisier my original intent was to model the entire below-decks... remember that this model was done over a year before trying to design for a kit. I was doing it to satisfy myself. I settled for modeling enough to show what was visible through the gun sponsons. So there are some rough problems here and there which I apologize for. Still, I figure it is better to have it out there than to force somebody to build the wretched Russian kit. BTW, if you leave off the ladder on the forward funnel she is pretty much Galilée, her sister ship. Linois, the third of the class is very different and will require a separate kit.

You can save some grief by closing up the sponsons and eliminating any concern for the between decks stuff that I put in there. I don't know that it adds that much but, then again, you don't get it with the Russian kit.

For my new Project X I am probably going to conceal a bunch of the detail behind screens. Not only are there lots of ladders but some prominent ones are vastly curved and even I shy away from those. Mike can handle them but, brrrrrr!

Good luck and keep plugging!! Feel free to blame the designer when called for.

Carl
Old 11-05-2011, 07:22 AM

Golden Bear, wonderful to hear from you and no, you need not say anything about the design. I thank you for what you pointed out and the tips. To tell the truth, I see nothing wrong with anything you have designed and or built. I understand what you are referring too, but as you said, simply close up. Such small details would be very difficult and most, myself included would leave out anyway!
As for those curving steps, I agree, Mike is the master and I still am working on that technique.
Gosh its good to talk to you my friend. Rick

Last edited by Papercut; 11-05-2011 at 08:19 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:47 AM

Rick-san,

Aha, it seems there is more to paper modeling than meet the eye
I look forward to some photos.

Yu
Old 11-05-2011, 11:39 AM

I as stated re-did the frame and will hopefully finish today and start with mounting decks.
I also made a simpler jig for building stairs, one point to make is, a spacer will be used to allow the top part to lay on the side rail of the steps as you build, will use a piece of card for this. This is where Mike came up with the great idea to route this part out.
I just love the way Carl designs his frame to tab/slot togeather, many of the printers would benefit from including this little detail!
I also included a mag'd photo to show Carls ability @ Art. I hope to purchase more of his kits.
Attached Thumbnails
GB's Lavoisier 1/250th Scale Model-lavorsier-re-do-003.jpg   GB's Lavoisier 1/250th Scale Model-lavorsier-re-do-006.jpg   GB's Lavoisier 1/250th Scale Model-lavorsier-re-do-001.jpg   GB's Lavoisier 1/250th Scale Model-lavorsier-re-do-008.jpg   GB's Lavoisier 1/250th Scale Model-lavorsier-re-do-011.jpg  

GB's Lavoisier 1/250th Scale Model-lavorsier-re-do-012.jpg   GB's Lavoisier 1/250th Scale Model-lavorsier-re-do-013.jpg   GB's Lavoisier 1/250th Scale Model-lavorsier-re-do-015.jpg  
Old 11-05-2011, 03:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Rick - Your are off to a good start with this one and I was interested in the dialogue among you, Mike, and GB. Nice to see Master Yu show up in this thread, as well.

I anticipate a very enjoyable time watching you build this one and learning about new methods as yo put your spin on Carl's masterful design.

Don
Google Adsense