PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 01-23-2011, 09:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 385.3 KB
Brockley Combe - Scratch Built

Before anyone reads further, this is my first attempt at scratch building, or paper / card modeling for that matter. I built a number of plastic models from kits in my youth, but never liked the way they looked. I find that I am much more obsessive in my old age.

---

For Christmas I received from my Amazon.com wishlist a book by Edwin Leaf entitled: Ship Modeling from Scratch: Tips and Techniques for Building Without Kits. I decided I would build a 1938 Coastal Freighter by the name Brockley Combe that was recommended as an easy scratch build by Leaf. After discovering this site I was inspired to build it out of paper and cardboard, but using the techniques that Leaf suggested (which I modified only slightly).

Note that you will see many rookie mistakes here as I move along. I figure, I might as well make all my mistakes on the same model rather than start again.

Next time - The First Attempt.

Have Fun!

Jon Benignus
Attached Thumbnails
Brockley Combe - Scratch Built-leaf-book.jpg   Brockley Combe - Scratch Built-brockley-combe-cover.jpg   Brockley Combe - Scratch Built-brockley-combe-instructions.jpg   Brockley Combe - Scratch Built-brockley-combe-plans.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-23-2011, 10:01 AM
POTM Moderator

Total Downloaded: 18.36 MB
Welcome to the forum.
It will be a pleasure to watch you blaze a new trail with your freighter.
Mike
Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 AM

First Attempt - SS Garbage Scow

So it is the first days after Christmas and I read my new book about scratch building model ships. I want to try out some techniques so I am going to get some shipping boxes left over from Christmas. My wife (who is a better engineer than I am) says "Don't use corrugated cardboard." Did I listen to her? Of course not. "Everything will be fine dear." Yea right.

Pictured below are the results in corrugated cardboard with box cutters.

I abandon this attempt and started over.

Next - New tools, for a new hobby

Have Fun!

Jon Benignus

Attached Thumbnails
Brockley Combe - Scratch Built-garbage-scow-1.jpg   Brockley Combe - Scratch Built-garbage-scow-2.jpg  
Old 01-23-2011, 10:14 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.17 MB
Glendwr;

I also need to get the same book. I'm a plastic 1/700 ship builder but would like to try larger scales. The price tag for this day and age is what scares me off on the larger models.
I have gained so much info from this group and some plastic model groups I belong to. My skill have improved greatly in just the past year.
I to would like to take on the challange of a true scratch build. I will follow along with your build and see what I could learn along the way.

Sam
SERE Instructor 89-95
Old 01-23-2011, 10:16 AM

New Tools for a New Hobby

Now it is New Year's Eve and I want to do some shipbuilding as the New Year comes in, so my wife (who knows more about crafts than I do) takes me to Michael's and Hobby Lobby to buy new tools. We got new glue, stacks of 3x5 index cards, an X-acto and an Excel knife (I wanted a saw blade that only Excel sold, but I have never used that blade with paper or cardstock), a cutting mat, and some basic drafting tools.

Life is much easier with proper tools

Next - I finally get started (for the second time).

Have Fun!

Jon Benignus
Attached Thumbnails
Brockley Combe - Scratch Built-workshop-1.jpg   Brockley Combe - Scratch Built-workshop-2.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-23-2011, 10:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I've got that book too. This will be very interesting seeing the ship built. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2011, 12:16 PM

Planning the Plan

I used my scanner and my Gimp software (freeware that does the same job as Photoshop). I scaled the images to be exactly the size that I wanted 1/8 inch = 1 foot or 1/96th scale.

Finally, I printed out the false keel or backbone using 3 sheets of paper and cut them out. You can see the new backbone with the previous incarnation (SS Garbage Scow) in the background.

Next - It's a Bird! It's a plane! No wait ... it sort of looks like a ship.

Have Fun!

Jon Benignus
Attached Thumbnails
Brockley Combe - Scratch Built-backbone-brockley-combe.jpg   Brockley Combe - Scratch Built-brockley-combe-bulkheads.jpg   Brockley Combe - Scratch Built-brockley-combe-bulkheads2.jpg   Brockley Combe - Scratch Built-brockley-combe-bulkheads3.jpg   Brockley Combe - Scratch Built-brockley-combe-false-keel.jpg  

Old 01-23-2011, 12:30 PM

Next - It's a Bird! It's a plane! No wait ... it sort of looks like a ship.

And at long last we have the current model with all the bulkheads assembled into the backbone. Note that I have inserted 2 dowels about 1 cm away from the backbone to provide stability and straightness. I saw Doris do this with her excellent Sovereign of the Seas.

Wow it actually looks straight! Sort of ship like too.

It has been over a week since I took pictures. The ship is in the process of being planked with 3x5 index cards. I am working on a system of itty bitty "steel" plates complete with rivets that I will glue to the outside of the hull. But you will probably have to wait until next weekend to see those.

Have Fun

Jon Benignus
Attached Thumbnails
Brockley Combe - Scratch Built-brockley-combe1.jpg   Brockley Combe - Scratch Built-brockley-combe2.jpg   Brockley Combe - Scratch Built-brockley-combe2-detail.jpg  
Old 01-23-2011, 04:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Its looking good. I must get that book,as I see its on Amazon. By the way, live about 5 miles from Brockley Combe, it's in the Mendip hills in Somerset.

Keith M
Old 01-23-2011, 10:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Off to a great start and as your sign off says looks like you're having fun.
Google Adsense