PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Ships and watercraft

Old 03-27-2011, 01:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Talking CSS Virginia II

Hi,

Here is the beginning of the CSS Virginia II, the sister ship of the CSS Charleston. Or at least if you compare them it looks like it could have been. The likenesses are uncanny!
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Virginia II-css-virginia-ii-21.jpg   CSS Virginia II-css-virginia-ii-iso-01.jpg  

PS If you like ironclads checkout this site: http://www.theuniversalfoundation.com/ironclad.html
Google Adsense
Old 03-28-2011, 09:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 78.14 MB
Send a message via MSN to rebelatsea
Hello Ironcladman, you are right. CSS Virginia II was a development of the Charleston plan by William Graves. There is thought to have been an intermediate 4 gun design between the two with a square casemate something akin Henry Willinck's Milledgeville.

The final octagonal plan and cambered decks were probably suggested by John L Porter
Old 03-28-2011, 01:00 PM

Talking Pillage the Millage!

Hi,

Yep, now I wanna get a plan of the CSS Milledgville. I like the simplicity of it!

Yes, I think Porter had a final say or input in alot of stuff. I like to look at pictures more, but reading alot of the old documents, reports, and communications between the parties back then.....you get the feel they were juz whinging most of this! They was scratchin tooth and nail to find a hammer to smash the north back and turn the tide.....but they just didn't have the resources, money, materials, experience, etc. etc. etc.....they were juz doomed I tell ya!

But they gave it a good go!

The CSS Milledgeville type was different in that it was a two wide type as opposed to a one wide. The CSS Milledgeville is more like the CSS Columbia and CSS TEXAS. Or, am I thinking about the CSS Ashley.....well it was a two wide also.

I am soooooo confooooosed!

Somebody needs to compile a book of plans of all ironclads! I will do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelatsea View Post
Hello Ironcladman, you are right. CSS Virginia II was a development of the Charleston plan by William Graves. There is thought to have been an intermediate 4 gun design between the two with a square casemate something akin Henry Willinck's Milledgeville.

The final octagonal plan and cambered decks were probably suggested by John L Porter

PS If you like ironclads checkout this site: http://www.theuniversalfoundation.com/ironclad.html
Old 03-29-2011, 04:19 AM

Ironcladman - you asked - I supply !
Attached Thumbnails
CSS Virginia II-css-milledgeville.jpg  
Old 03-29-2011, 04:32 AM

the Columbia type began life as a yet another longer 150ft variant, again with 6 guns in a long casemate. The original plan shows semicircular ends to the casemate and stern.
It is not clear whether Columbia was ordered and begun in that form or whether started to the reworked design which we know as CSS Columbia incorporating the Pierce knuckle..
CSS Tennessee II was actually constructed to the original design and towed to Mobile in that configuration ,but with square ends. She was totally rebuilt to a short casemate variant at Mobile.
CSS Texas was built to the Columbia configuration but given a new configuration from the knuckle up, incorporating the pierce knuckle and a new design of short casemate

All designs were by John L Porter, but with local variations by the builders and constructors..
Google Adsense
Old 03-29-2011, 04:33 AM

PS Corey had done a kit of CSS Ashley & Cooper.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 AM

Talking Tank you!

Hi,

Why thankyou my good sir! These are your personal drawings are there any original plan views still in existence? Or, are we taking from all available documentation to create a depiction of what it looked like?

Ok, where is the CSS Ashley 6 view......keep them coming!

Is there anywhere online that has all available or surviving plans of ironclads from the civil war......the originals! I have seen some on the USN archive site, but CRAPOLA there were HUNDREDS of ironclads......and hundreds there were started.....and hundreds that were planned......and hundreds that were thought off.....I can't handle the truth!

Quote:
Ironcladman - you asked - I supply !

Old 03-29-2011, 11:45 AM

Talking Pierce What!

Hi,

blaa, Blaa, BLAA, we WANT pictures! No, just kidding there is soooo much information out there and history.....but, "a picture is worth a zillion history words!"

Course, if words is all we got.....then we have to build the picture from them.....so where are the picturessssss! And I want them to be 100% indesputably correct.....am I being an unpleaseable person!

Or is it just being passionate about my interest in ironclads!......or juz bein a fringin goof ball!

Quote:
the Columbia type began life as a yet another longer 150ft variant, again with 6 guns in a long casemate. The original plan shows semicircular ends to the casemate and stern.
It is not clear whether Columbia was ordered and begun in that form or whether started to the reworked design which we know as CSS Columbia incorporating the Pierce knuckle..
CSS Tennessee II was actually constructed to the original design and towed to Mobile in that configuration ,but with square ends. She was totally rebuilt to a short casemate variant at Mobile.
CSS Texas was built to the Columbia configuration but given a new configuration from the knuckle up, incorporating the pierce knuckle and a new design of short casemate

All designs were by John L Porter, but with local variations by the builders and constructors..

Old 03-29-2011, 11:47 AM

Talking Ashley Cooper Hot Babe!

Hi,

Yep, there awesome!

PS Not to be all in ya bidness.....but can you send me alllllll your drawings in a boooook, heeeellllllooooo!

Quote:
PS Corey had done a kit of CSS Ashley & Cooper.

Last edited by Ironcladman; 03-29-2011 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Left off PS Question!
Old 03-31-2011, 04:27 AM

Still trying to complete my manuscript = version 7 now and counting. Another set of drawings are on the way to me from Naval Historian Bil Ragan.
Google Adsense